Engine heat

Howesnet

Apologies if this has been brought up before. Recently I've noticed a great deal of heat from the engine. I know that being a big V4 it's gonna chuck out but recently it seems that there's a lot more than usual to the point that my leg feels uncomfortably hot.  Even the boot plates above the pegs are hot to touch. I've checked my oil and coolant & both are correctly filled, the fan works when it's supposed to and the temp gauge is reading normal.

Is this just psychological because of the freaky warm weather here in England land or is there something else I should be looking for.

TIA

• Member Contributer

The hot ambient temps are probably playing a big role here. Hot air flowing over a hot engine. 

Are you you wearing your usual gear? If you’re wearing lighter gear it might be the heel plates feel hotter to you because you’re not as insulated. 

But my money is the hot weather. 

Stray

• Member Contributer

I regularly ride in temperatures above 110f (43c) and find the VFR1200 to be best motorcycle I've ever had in terms of heat management.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, swimmer said:

I regularly ride in temperatures above 110f (43c) and find the VFR1200 to be best motorcycle I've ever had in terms of heat management.

+1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just read a write up about the new Indian V-twin that has rear cylinder deactivation to prevent rider heat discomfort.  The article points out the VFR 1200F has this feature too.  If indeed it has this feature, it’s seamless to me and I’ve not been bothered by any excessive heat,

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

!?!?!  Going to have to Google this but it might explain why (I just got my VFR recently) when after having cruised on the freeway at steady speed, accelerating is delayed a bit. For example, let's say I'm cruising at 65 mph for a couple minutes, if I want to speed up for pass someone it feels like the bike is ignoring me turning the throttle for a little while.

• Member Contributer

The 1200 does not have cylinder de-activation.

It does limit the torque in 1st, 2nd, and maybe 3rd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have the same problem with my VFR12.  It is right at the point about where my ankle sits.

If I get caught in traffic or stop for too long it gets really hot. 

I notice it a lot more when I'm not wearing the heavy boots.

I believe it may be coming from the exhaust that exits the rear cylinder.

I'm going to try to make some type of heat shield to see if it gets better.

• Member Contributer

That's how my 3rd Gen feels, since I took out the heat shield. The 1200 has the best heat management I have ever experienced on any bike. Although everyone has different ergos, and heat tolerance. Have you made sure the heat shield is in place?

Just remembered, mine has a free flowing exhaust, and has been de-catted and flashed (richer = cooler) so yeah, maybe a stock setup could be hotter.

Archived