Indicators on the Blink !

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

So on the way to work today I noticed my dash indicator light flashing rapidly. Blown bulb thinks I. Then noticed that the opposite light on the dash was blinking very weakly.  Checked bike when i got to work & this is what I have.

Left indicate, Front left normal, other three bulbs blink very weakly.

Right indicate, Front right normal, other 3 bulbs blink very weakly.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I had a rummage inside the fairing & at one point had a disco on the dash, even with all indicators disconnected 😞  So there is a short in there somewhere, I'll have a proper look at the weekend. Strangely its working normally now after puting everything back in.

• Member Contributer

Well, if that's the brand you're using no wonder you're having issues. Everyone knows Amsoil blinker fluid in

the 22.5W15 is the only type that works well. Other brands may work but you'll have issues and need to change

it out more often.

• Member Contributer

Royal Purple is pretty expensive, but totally worth the extra $$$! Of course I'm running LEDs in Gixxer mirrors and a Thurn rear unit, so YMMV.

• Member Contributer

DCLB?

IMAG1533.thumb.jpg.9a60ab0b982d4bc029021ed1fd741255.jpg

DubiouChineseLightBulbs... :tongue:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well after a second episode of disco dash which also lead to loss of tail & brake lights when indicating. The VFR was retired until today when I finally got time to dig deep into its wiring. Having stripped the front upper fairing off & checked all the connections & found nothing wrong, but having got random results the other evening, today was time to trace it all out.

So removing various fuses, did nothing but prove it was isolated to lights & indicator circuit. Disconnecting various lights did not isolate it. Next up was a possible issue with the instrument cluster PCB, so I removed it & still had the weird lights, so not that. Whilst it was out I traced all tracks with an ohm meter & all were good 😀so that’s some good news.

So more digging & I decided after following the wiring diagram to check the earth block in the loom near the reg/rec on the left side under the tail unit. I had this open a few years back when I had another issue & all was good. So untaped it & again it looked good, but for good measure I added a twist to the jump blocks & when reinserted & the issue was gone. So what to do, looks perfect but appears to be the route of the problem.

So I decided to remove it & just solder the ends together.  So after clipping the block apart to free the connectors for inspection, one of the contact blades fell out of one connector, so that was one fault identified. I then clipped off the crimped on connectors, I stripped the cables back ready to solder & found 2 more faults. Two of the 14 cables were corroded on the skin of their cable strands, one quite badly.

So I spread the wires flat on those two & rubbed them with some emery paper to get them back to shine copper, rotated them a couple of times to get all the wires clean.

I intertwined those two individually with another clean earth wire, then twisted all 14 together. One is thicker than the rest so I assume that is the primary return to earth wire. Then soldered them all together & heat shrink covered them & finally taped them back against the loom.  I checked all earth cables end to end from the solder block, to every lights earth connector and all came out to the same value give or take a couple of ohm’s. I wiggled & moved all wires & the feed stayed good, no more weird behaviour.

9204DFEB-1887-4087-A260-B5A233A04EBC.thumb.jpeg.7c0259fdc41a3700ad457cf1366dc27b.jpeg

C2D47BDD-8C9D-48BE-AA22-90C96FFAD360.thumb.jpeg.a5ba10a0776251aff92dab745d74813f.jpeg

C381D8B4-EF41-4B12-8E26-29985C5FF0E1.thumb.jpeg.8c6d7c04f58e4d7422db929ab7ff17d2.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Nice job Mowhawk, glad you've resolved your issues, that bloody earth block sure causes a lot of weird and nasty issues.

Cheers.

Archived