need help please

hey everyone my bike sat for 4 months, it got flooded with gas before that and didn't think anything of it. so I changed my oil and then tried to crank it up but it does nothing. if I take the right side crankcase cover off it will try to crank like normal, but with it on it does nothing. I have found that my starter reduction gear gets stuck and wont allow the starter motor to turn to turn the flywheel with the cover on but when off it will turn what do I do since I have tried everything. help would be much apricated. my bike is also a 1994 vfr 750

• Member Contributer

Maybe this is the issue, but there should be a washer (#11) between that gear and the engine.

Upon removing the cover, pin #2 can get stuck in the cover and as you pull the cover of, that washer may fall out/down. 

Knipsel.JPG.8aa7d49964f190f414a2ef8507b452d6.JPG

So pull that gear and check if the washer is still in place. If not, where is it? :tongue:

That gear is not "timed"so it does not matter in which position your put it back.

Putting it back with the O ring at the back is a fiddly business. Be prepared to walk away after a couple of attempts, utter a few swear words and try agian. You will succeed!!

7 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Maybe this is the issue, but there should be a washer (#11) between that gear and the engine.

Upon removing the cover, pin #2 can get stuck in the cover and as you pull the cover of, that washer may fall out/down. 

Knipsel.JPG.8aa7d49964f190f414a2ef8507b452d6.JPG

So pull that gear and check if the washer is still in place. If not, where is it? :tongue:

That gear is not "timed"so it does not matter in which position your put it back.

Putting it back with the O ring at the back is a fiddly business. Be prepared to walk away after a couple of attempts, utter a few swear words and try agian. You will succeed!!

I got the washer and thank you my honda book never said where to put it so I just put it on front of it thanks for the reply lets just hop my bike runs like new again with it in place

• Member Contributer
56 minutes ago, jacob1996 said:

I got the washer and thank you my honda book never said where to put it so I just put it on front of it thanks for the reply lets just hop my bike runs like new again with it in place

Mate. I don't think you can just stick it on the front! The Service Manual Page 17-10 Clearly shows the washer/Spacer (8) MUST fit Behind the starter reduction gear (7). Have you Download the Service Manual?

So did the Starter Reduction Gear Shaft(6) pull out with the side cover removed? if so then as Dutchy said the washer/spacer(8) would have dropped. But if the shaft stayed in position and you found the washer/spacer, then it was possibly fitted incorrectly on the front some time ago and may have caused the issue you're having now. That washer/spacer must go behind the gear(7) not in front of it.

Starter_Clutch.JPG

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Mate. I don't think you can just stick it on the front! The Service Manual Page 17-10 Clearly shows the washer/Spacer (8) MUST fit Behind the starter reduction gear (7). Have you Download the Service Manual?

So did the Starter Reduction Gear Shaft(6) pull out with the side cover removed? if so then as Dutchy said the washer/spacer(8) would have dropped. But if the shaft stayed in position and you found the washer/spacer, then it was possibly fitted incorrectly on the front some time ago and may have caused the issue you're having now. That washer/spacer must go behind the gear(7) not in front of it.

Starter_Clutch.JPG

thank you, I have the original paper back manual that I bought for my bike and it never showed a washer on 17-10 I see the dowel pin(6) and the gear(7) never shows a 8 but thank you for the clarification ill be installing the washer on the back and will let you all know if my problem gets fixed or continues. ps the date my book was published was in February 1994 so maybe they forget to add the washer and just updated it online

Archived