bike sat for 4 months and there was gas in the oil

jacob1996

so I work over the road and my bike sat for 4 months after getting it up and running. I changed the oil yesterday and there was gas in it which is probably from when it flooded it self which I didn't think a lot gas got down in my oil. but after I drained and flushed the old oil, I put brand new oil it and now when I try to start it I hear a loud screeching sound coming from the right side of my crank case. what should I do maintenance wise inside there to fix the issue or do I just need a whole new engine and don't even worry about fix it, I have a 1994 vfr 750 btw.

• Member Contributer

Gas in the oil is not a problem... maintenance wise I'd remove the right cover and inspect the one way starter clutch...

If you lay the bike on its side you don't have to drain the oil but I'd have a new gasket ready in case the old one tears...

ClutchFix2.JPG

ClutchFix3.JPG

• Member Contributer

Carbs. 

My carbed bikes used to leak gas into the oil through gummed up needles. 

Not a VFR though so not sure if that applies here. 

My solution: Run some fuel system cleaner through her, tap the carbs all around with the handle of a screwdriver (to release any sticky bits) and always turn the tap off when you lay her up. 

If it still leaks its carb rebuild time. 

Stray

• Member Contributer

after see this happen to quite a few bikes... with all due respect to BLS. drain the oil.. remove the clutch plates.. soak them in new oil.. gas in the oil literally cleans the hell out off the bottom end of the motor and the frictions plates. 

inspect and lube up the starter clutch. 

look on the inner (part #5) and see if its CRACKED..

DONT loose the 3 small spring,or the 3 caps..or the 3 rollers!! 

starterclutch_zpsum8diaka.jpg

starterclutch2_zpsworrcydn.jpg

yes, the roller in the pic are facing the wrong way.. they are just there to show proper location..

found out my issue is my starter reduction gear is not spinning correctly or doesn't wanna spin at all when the right side crankcase cover is on but when its off everything works like it should but with it on that gear gets stuck somehow and doesn't wanna spin what should I do I have tried everything to fix it hears a picture with my issue circled to help you guys see what my problem is now 

Inkedvfr_LI.jpg

fixed my issue on the reduction gear put the washer back in place and found out that the starter clutch quits spinning after a second or 2 and then it grinds so ima tear down the starter clutch and post what I find when I get the chance to take it apart but in the end ima just buy a whole new starter clutch assembly and just replace all the parts in it to brand new if it is broke 

Archived