Gear Indicator

litigatin

Sorry if this has been asked before (I tried search and didn't get any relevant hits, but that's probably my bad), but has anyone noticed any issues or faulting with the gear position indicator?  I have a 2014 (bought new less than a year ago) with around 7000 miles on it.  In the last two weeks or so I've noticed that the gear indicator is faulting and displaying a dash instead of a number.  It's happened three or four times, and hasn't happened until now.  I'm going to take it in while it's still under warranty, but was curious if anyone has encountered this, what's causing it, and if there are any easy fixes.  Not a major issue; just irritating and distracting given that I've gotten used to having it.  Funny how a superfluous feature is only notable when it fails...

• Member Contributer

Yes I get that but it's easily cleared by selecting another gear and let the clutch in

Its the position sensor not being activated in the gear box, not a fault of the bike, more due to my left foot

This "dash" only happens to me in sixth sporadically but does not affect the bike as I am truly in gear and can accelerate. It usually clears itself within a few seconds to under a minute.

I'd say it happens about once every 300-400 KMs on mine.

It happened for the two years I didn't have a quickshifter and still happens now with the quickshifter.

It happened to me on my yamaha MT09.

Different bike, Same symptoms.

Only when the motor was hot, and for me was 5th gear. 

The connections/solder on the back of the sensor would intermitantly fail when the bike was hot. Some guys cleaned it and as a bandiad and it worked, i had mine replaced under warranty.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, fink said:

Usually down to operator error, missed gears etc. We have all done it. 

Yep, agree with Fink here. Get it often if I've had to suddenly stop without time to gear down to first while rolling. Shifting down the gears while stationary will often display the - nothing to worry about, just operator error.

Yes we have all done it.

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, keef said:

Unlikely for that to be the issue when accelerating in 6th.

Hi Keef

Guess you're referring to Ohlias and not the OP. Wonder if Ohlias has changed sprockets with a different size from standard? This can mess with the Gear Position Indicator.

Yeah i was.

But my opinion stands. If it was due to a change, like sprockets, it would happen all the time. It seems like an intermittent electrical fault to me.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, keef said:

It seems like an intermittent electrical fault to me.

Well mines an intermittent foot fault

9 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi Keef

Guess you're referring to Ohlias and not the OP. Wonder if Ohlias has changed sprockets with a different size from standard? This can mess with the Gear Position Indicator.

Hi there

Sprockets are all stock. Including Change. 11,000 KMs on the bike (~7,000 miles). Only change I made was the additon of a Quickshifter this year. Had problem before and after (sporadic "-" dash indication on gear indicator when shifting into sixth). However it's not a missed shift as I am in 6th and can no longer upshift and do have traction (give gas an go).

I do also miss shifts (mostly 1st to 2nd, very rarely 3nd to 3rd) under hard acceleration where I imagine the gears/synchros just aren't well lined up and I'm probably to soft on the shift. This also happens both with and without the quick shifter...

Hope this helps...

Thanks all for the thoughts!  I'm not particularly bothered by it, but for the fact that it just seems to have started happening in the last few weeks.  And that makes me think "something" has changed between 0 miles and 7000 miles.  And it's not my technique, so I'm puzzled. 

It clears with a quick on and off of the key, so it's not a huge deal, but if there's a fix, I'm going to try to get it done while the warranty is still live.  

Archived