Engine won’t start when hot

Goodo

Hi all,

ive got a 98 VFR which doesn’t start when hot. After an hour run home from work, if I stop the engine, and then try to restart it, nothing happens. 

There’s no whirring from the fuel pump, no cranking of the engine. Nothing. The dash lights are on. 

Does anyone one have any experience of this problem? Is it reg/rec related? I tested the voltage across the reg/rec and it was 17.5 volts... seems high. 

Ive a new battery for my multimeter so will be doing some check when I get home on the reg/rec, and relays in my Haynes manual. 

Cheers

andrew

• Member Contributer

Whoa! Better check that 17.5V reading!  Around 13.5-14.5 would be normal, at 17.5V you may be cooking the battery. 

If you can, when the bike is hot, try a jump cable from a car battery and see if that starts, which would point towards your bike battery as a fault. You may need to pull your bike battery out of the circuit when you do the jump, if it has an internal short that can suck up all the jump current (and your jump cables will get quite warm).

In my experience it is more common for batteries to give up when they are hot even though they will cold start OK. 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just thinking... no fuel pump and no cranking but have working dash lights. This could be a gremlin in your kill switch or its wiring. 

Archived