Seeking Paint Removal Advice

TechRider

My '15 VFR got stolen, and recovered by police (yeah!).  It was spray painted blue (a very bad job) including over spray just about everywhere (wind screen, instrument panel, handle bars, frame, pegs, you name it).  Spray paint looked acetone based, so I bought Goof Off (also acetone based) and did some testing.  It removed paint from the metal tank and plastic fairing without (it appears after 10 days) damaging the factory red.  Also worked on some black plastic and different metals (exhaust, frame, engine). I haven't tested yet on the wind screen and instrument panel (nervous). 

Just wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about and has had experience doing this?  If so you were (a) successful in removing the spray paint, while not damaging the factory paint; (b) if you were successful in removing over spray from the wind screen or instrument panel; (c) if you used Goof Off or what product/technique did you use? 

Appreciate any shared knowledge / experience here.  Thanks.

vfr800.jpg

• Member Contributer

are you SURE  its spray paint ? not plastidip ?  1st thing to try on the paint.. GASOLINE!! 

depending on how long its been on the bike. it may just wipe right off.. start on the gastank 1st..

DONT use it for the gauges  or windscreen with those will be better off using your fingernail to chip off the over spray on the clear parts...

hopefully once you have all the blue off the body a light buff will bring back the shine.

• Member Contributer

Acetone will not damage stock Honda paint on the tank or the fairing but it will remove rattle can paint... test on a spot to verify... 

55707-01-1000.jpg

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, TechRider said:

Thanks for the info and tips. I’m certain it’s sprayed on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re aware ‘plastidip’ can be sprayed on?  It’s a manufacturer name, and commonly people say they plastidipped something even though it’s a spray on finish. 

You’re aware ‘plastidip’ can be sprayed on?. 

Ohhh. I wasn’t aware so thanks for replying. Reading more on this now. Thanks for the help!

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, TechRider said:

Ohhh. I wasn’t aware so thanks for replying. Reading more on this now. Thanks for the help!

I wanted to point it out because the blue in the picture looks like a matte ‘plastidip’ finish. Some of those though can be peeled right off, however I’m not sure if they all can. Either way, idk if spray paint versus plastidip finishes are removed with the same chemicals so it might be worth reading up before dousing your ride in gasoline. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

I wanted to point it out because the blue in the picture looks like a matte ‘plastidip’ finish. Some of those though can be peeled right off, however I’m not sure if they all can. Either way, idk if spray paint versus plastidip finishes are removed with the same chemicals so it might be worth reading up before dousing your ride in gasoline. 

they CAN be pealed. off it takes forever!! gas makes dissolve to the point where you just wipe it of in a mater of minutes for a gastank/ side fairing sized piece.

• Member Contributer

Great to know you got your VFR back and in what appears to be good condition, I know insurance can be expensive, but maybe a good after market bike lock would be wise. I use a kryptonite lock even when the bike is in my locked garage, maybe you were already using one? Just a thought.

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, laurie said:

By the look of the tank,it looks like a pretty thick coat of plastidip.

You should be able to soften it a little with some gentle heat and peel it away.

Don't use petrol/gasoline as it will be smelly,and explosive.

i

you are telling a guy to use HEAT on a gas tank then say gas is explosive?? i am not trying bust you up,  but as a guy working in a motorcycle shop and dealing with stolen bikes. gas is the fastest ,cheapest way to go.. just dont smoke while doing it. 

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, laurie said:

Gentle heat from a heat gun or hair drier,not a naked flame. I assumed that would go without saying...

both are capable of starting a fire on a gas tank.. i would assume that the guy is going to remove the body parts and simply wipe off the  blue.. it will take minutes if done this way...

HOWEVER.. i did watch a goober pour gas on his whole bike and start scrubbing..:blink:

• 4 weeks later...
Great to know you got your VFR back and in what appears to be good condition, I know insurance can be expensive, but maybe a good after market bike lock would be wise. I use a kryptonite lock even when the bike is in my locked garage, maybe you were already using one? Just a thought.

Locks purchased and in use now

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, TechRider said:

Summer restoration done. Will tackle the finer bits when the season ends. Thanks to all for advice and support. 5b47c5eb5ee11f1f55eb3d68bb3ec06b.jpg&key=5b6cb711af69cb46aa7ccf02a3108f2489a02c95d9a47c402d45981733557095

Now that's a happy ending . . . you got your bike back, and it looks great!  :fing02:

Forgot to mention that I switched from Goof Off to Brake Cleaner, which was 3-4 times faster to work with, and totally gentle on all plastics in comparison (no damage to or fogging of instrument lenses or windscreen at all). 71820a63e0cbeeef53b72281a3edb8bc.jpg

This is great to see, good for you. Question, I've got crazy glue on my triple stock from a stupid idea of glueing the Ram Mount rubber stoppers while ON the bike. Do you think brake cleaner would help get the white dry glue off without damaging the paint?

On 8/16/2018 at 4:14 AM, Ohlias said:

This is great to see, good for you. Question, I've got crazy glue on my triple stock from a stupid idea of glueing the Ram Mount rubber stoppers while ON the bike. Do you think brake cleaner would help get the white dry glue off without damaging the paint?

No idea if brake cleaner will work on crazy clue, but it was gentle for use on my bike.  Spray the brake cleaner into a micro fibre cloth, hold on the glue for a 5-10 seconds, then see if it will wipe or rub off.

Archived