Fan switch fuse blowing

AdamC

Hi all, my radiator fan switch fuse keeps blowing, can anyone suggest the best method for discovering the cause? ,  fan spins freely with my hand 

• Member Contributer

Does the fuse blow immediately on inserting it into the fuse holder? If so I suggest you have a direct earth fault. If it only blows when the fan operates by the fan switch then the motor may have a fault. The power supply to the fan is live and it is the fan switch earthing, once the coolant gets hot enough to cause the switch to operate, that causes the fan to operate.

• Member Contributer

Power is Live to the fan fuse once ignition is ON. Also make sure you are using a 20a fuse, sorry if I'm stating the obvious! So as Marooncobra stated does the fuse blow the moment you turn On your ignition? Or only at high engine temp when the cooling fan is required?

Hi, 20a is what I was using. However i used the spares already in the fuse boxes. I decided to go and buy some brand new ones as figured they may have been there for the 15 years the machine has been built, and all worked fine this morning. Only down side I have now is the new fan switch looks like it grounds at a lower temperature as the fan came on at 75 degrees which if correct means it will always be running when the bike gets up to temp, I may look to reinstall the oem switch as I am now concerned I may run the engine too cool?

Archived