Raising fork legs in triple clamps of 2nd Gen

RogueV4

Has anyone determined how high to raise the fork legs in the triple clamps of an '86-'87 VFR to get optimal turn-in without a noticeable loss of stability at speed?  

The factory stock position provides 27.5 degrees of rake and 4.3" of trail - which is alot by today's sport-bike and sport-touring standards.  Honda decreased the VFR's rake to 26.0 degrees on the 3rd and 4th Gens and then to 25.5 degrees on the 5th and 6th Gens - all of which had 3.9" of trail.  

Even back in its day, racers like Fred Merkel, Bubba Shobert and Wayne Rainey needed extensive steering head modifications to get the 2nd Gen to turn properly.

I've been running with my forks raised 7 mm for many years with no ill effects on stability...and I still have the stock 16" front wheel.  A 17 incher would increase rake and trail.  I've been thinking about raising the forks some more but thought I might try to learn from the experiences of others first.

• Member Contributer

10-12mm was about the max on a 4th gen.    

All you can do is ride a bit with high/low speed, braking hard, hands off the bars with your 7mm.  set to 10 and -in a controlled fashion- repeat the ride...

From what I recall, 2nd gens are no dumper trucks in the turning department to begin with...

Archived