May I introduce.....not a death trap

Got ahead of myself and talked here about riding my 6th gen.  Well here it is.  Kanadian Ken pressured me into buying this bike, maybe because he has recently seen my 5th gen.  It is a 2002, with all the goodies and suspension work.  I realize buying a 6th gen in 2018 isnt hot news, but I though I could drum up some inter-generational conversation.  I rode this bike hard yesterday, in fact I planned on a long sedate getting to know you period, and that went away really fast.  My first impression was that it was refined and good, but the motor was no where near as good as a 5th gen. I did note however that it seemed to pick up revs quickly and likes being in the higher revs.  About halfway through the dragon, it started to remind me of my 5th gen.  If it stays in VTec, the motors are alike.  The difference was in the aforementioned refinement.  It felt like somebody set up my 5th gen absolutely perfectly, and I was riding on my best of best days.  Even so, it was just easier for a lack of a better term to ride. In summation, I really really liked it.  This was the first time I rode a 6th gen for m ore that a mile and I now know what you 6th gen guys were on about.

I have a death trap and a not-death trap.  And while my 5th gen is my all time number 1 bike that i heart long time, the not-death trap is extreme groovy too!

20180716_184228_Film3.jpg

20180716_184324_Film3.jpg

20180716_184414_Film3.jpg

20180716_182904_Film3.jpg

For the record - no pressure was ever involved.  I was messaged from Timmy that he was buying this bike - stealing it away from my son.....  lol. 

Great bike - you’re gonna love it!!

• Member Contributer

Sweet ride.  Sixth gens do have many good attributes, VTEC not at the top of the list for many of us.  They also have a bad habit of chain-smoking stators as was evident in Custer last week.  I do prefer my 6th gen for long haul rides vs the 5th. 

2 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

I do prefer my 6th gen for long haul rides vs the 5th. 

I am making the 6th gen my sport- TOURING bike and my 5th gen will be a SPORT-touring bike.

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, timmythecop said:

I am making the 6th gen my sport- TOURING bike and my 5th gen will be a SPORT-touring bike.

Ah, the subtle use of punctuation. Great looking motorcycle, Timmy. It's such a delight when you swing a leg over a bike expecting just another ride, then as the turns accumulate, you find yourself grinning silly and humming a little motorcycle racer's tune in your helmet.

• Member Contributer

What's been done to it, Timmy?  Boingers? Brakes? 

• Member Contributer

Congrats!

Once dialed in, 6th  Gen is an amazing ride.

PS. 

All this just to have a clean bike, huh?  

2 hours ago, y2kvfr said:

What's been done to it, Timmy?  Boingers? Brakes? 

K&N filter, power commander W/ Cozy's map, Staintunes, rebuilt  ABS shock and cartridge emulators.  All it needs are heated grips and Throttlemeisters.

The rolling chassis and brakes are more betterer on the 6th gen. If it had the 5th gen motor it would be even better. It also wouldn't fry stators.

Future proof that thing electrically by eliminating that useless yellow ground connector in the front subharness and add reinforcement to chassis.

Here>>> https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/62525-faulty-ground-connector/&share_tid=62525&share_fid=35196&share_type=t

Having had both myself I would personally consider those adjectival distinctions the other way around and place emphasis on touring for the 5th gen and sport for the 6th gen.

Enjoy!

I know the sport and tour are backwards, but i will get use out of those gigantic bags. My 5th gen is in a bit of a state, so it will ne groovy to bring it back as light and nimble as possible, while leavibg the 6th gen alone.

• Member Contributer

Way to go Timmmy!!!

Love your idea to set one up as sport and the other as touring bikes.

Enjoy the rides!

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I just love this.  🙂  6th gens need love too and are SO good.  A prior 5th gen owner saying this in concert with others.  Also good to see this well loved  VFR staying in the family Tim.  I thought you were RC51 guy?  My bad if I've not kept up with all the news.  Glad to hear of this pickup.

• Member Contributer
On 7/16/2018 at 3:58 PM, timmythecop said:

My first impression was that it was refined and good, but the motor was no where near as good as a 5th gen. I did note however that it seemed to pick up revs quickly and likes being in the higher revs.

Between your G5 and G6, do you notice:

* any difference in vibration in the h'bars? (my '09 is coarser, and tends to put my hands to sleep - my '98 & '99 G5s never did)

* any difference in gearing or shifting (the G6 have different primary and internal ratios)

* any difference in riding position or comfort - assuming stock seats and bars

* any difference in throttle response from zero to slightly cracked ( both my G5s felt no different than my G3, while my G6 is very twitchy at times)

You can expect slightly better mileage and noticeably greater range (bigger tank) over the G5. Might I recommend Michelin Power RS or PR5 on your next tire change - imnsho, they work really well on VFRs of all generations.

• Member Contributer
On 7/17/2018 at 10:32 AM, timmythecop said:

I know the sport and tour are backwards, but i will get use out of those gigantic bags. My 5th gen is in a bit of a state, so it will ne groovy to bring it back as light and nimble as possible, while leavibg the 6th gen alone.

That's how Duc2V4 does it, and he's smiling all the time on either his 6th gen or his 5th.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:36 AM, timmythecop said:

K&N filter, power commander W/ Cozy's map, Staintunes, rebuilt  ABS shock and cartridge emulators.  All it needs are heated grips and Throttlemeisters.

Throttlemeisters plural...one for each handlebar, and one for the butt dyno.

3 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

If he is going to use it at sport TOUR I would totally recommend the Road 5. All the benefits of the road 4 with solid shoulders now for hasty riding :).

Big +1 on Road 5s. Just took a fresh set on a longish tour - the Michelins were steady through Montana thunderstorms, Arizona desert bucket-dump cloudbursts, and the chickenstrips came off somewhere in Wyoming. Never a worry, even with fully loaded luggage.

TTC what heated grips are you going to use and have you had them before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Congrats Timmy. BUT it's not flat black. What the heck is happening?! First a HD job and now this. Just goes to prove anything is possible.

Take care and ride safe. Missed you at the Spring Ride.

• Member Contributer
49 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

What the heck is happening?! First a HD job and now this. Just goes to prove anything is possible.

pinkfloyd_2007402b.jpg.2894de993148dc5590bc577371774f7d.jpg

On 7/18/2018 at 5:40 PM, Lorne said:

Between your G5 and G6, do you notice:

* any difference in vibration in the h'bars? (my '09 is coarser, and tends to put my hands to sleep - my '98 & '99 G5s never did)

* any difference in gearing or shifting (the G6 have different primary and internal ratios)

* any difference in riding position or comfort - assuming stock seats and bars

* any difference in throttle response from zero to slightly cracked ( both my G5s felt no different than my G3, while my G6 is very twitchy at times)

answer to all is very, very little difference. Surprising really how similar they both are.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 12:12 PM, duccmann said:

TTC what heated grips are you going to use and have you had them before?

I have always used Symtech.  On my 5th Gen, I used an old heated vest controller to have a rheostat instead of the stock hi-lo.

Archived