Everyone...how is your bike wired to charge your phone?

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, MysteryRider246 said:

Are you using it for Sat Nav? If so, then someone will be along soon.

I don't use it for Sat Nav and if I'm away touring or even away for the day, I carry a small recharging battery which gives me at least 2 full charges before needing recharging itself.

• Member Contributer

I would be using it for some Sat Nav along with everything else.

• Member Contributer

Rice, I'm using a similar device on my VFR. I chose this because it has a power-off switch, so I can't kill the battery if I don't ride for a long interval

[Battery protection is only assured IF I remember to turn off the power switch!]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071S9FKYP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine is hardwired to the battery with a fused hot leg, but I would have preferred a quick connector like the one on your USB adapter.

On another bike, I have a BMW/DIN power socket hardwired into the steering stem. On that bike, I plug in a power adapter similar to the pne from ebay in the link below, but with a coiled cord in place of the male plug:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Dual-USB-Charger-Adapter-Socket-For-BMW-Din-Hella-Plug-LED-Voltmeter/202306994508?epid=5019083239&hash=item2f1a6fc14c%3Ag%3AovcAAOSw-uda8AdV&_sacat=0&_nkw=12V-24V+LED+Dual+USB+Charger+Voltmeter+Socket+For+Hella+Plug+Trucks+BMW+Triumph+(+291971805035+)&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Once plugged into the steering stem outlet, I put the corded adapter inside my tankbag and use it to power my phone and gps.

• Member Contributer

I have a similar setup on my two bikes. My VFR has a piwerlet stem 12v socket into which I plug in the sigatette lighter type of a usb charger. 

On my DR650 I have the adaptor I posted earlier. 

One thing I do have on both bikes is a relay, which cuts power to all add-ons (phone, GPS, heated grips) once ignition is off. This way I never have to worry about killing my battery. 

This costs under 10$ and about an hour of your time. I highly recommend it. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks gll429. That's reassuring.

I just exchanged my non-working one for one that does work.

• Member Contributer

I tapped into the tail light wiring to supply 12v to a 5v 2amp USB power supply($5 off ebay, so I bought a few). I use this to charge 7800mAmp external lithium battery that sits under the seat. The battery has two USB sockets, one I have cabled up to the bars for a cell phone. The other is in easy reach for something in the tank bag. The battery also charges the helmet intercoms at the end of the day.

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, Zarquon said:

I tapped into the tail light wiring to supply 12v to a 5v 2amp USB power supply($5 off ebay, so I bought a few). I use this to charge 7800mAmp external lithium battery that sits under the seat. The battery has two USB sockets, one I have cabled up to the bars for a cell phone. The other is in easy reach for something in the tank bag. The battery also charges the helmet intercoms at the end of the day.

Great idea. I see this being especially useful on long trips. 

I still advise not to use any of the bikes existing 12v wires to do anything other than provide ignition signal to the relay. Just to be safe. Although I can’t imagine how your setup can cause any harm. 

• Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, Rice said:

Great idea. I see this being especially useful on long trips. 

I still advise not to use any of the bikes existing 12v wires to do anything other than provide ignition signal to the relay. Just to be safe. Although I can’t imagine how your setup can cause any harm. 

Yes,

Would be better to use the the tail light circuit to activate a relay that switches power direct from the battery via a fuse to a set of 'accessories' plugs for things like usb charges and voltmeters etc.

Archived