Steering Head

weven

Hi, I have searched "steering head" found nothing really.

Am I the only 7gen guy replacing mine with Taper Rollers at 30,000 ks? (Allballs)

Symptoms, bike turning as I lean in.  You know, the exact feel one gets with a well under inflated front tire, I normally run 35/36 went in increments to 42psi seemed worse, meaning I was having to make an effort to sort of counter steer to hold the line.

Over steer???

Had me baffled, so placed jack under sump and yes I could feel while turning left or right a definite notch just slightly either side of center.  First bike I ever had to replace the bearings.  Any others experienced this??????

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, weven said:

Any others experienced this??????

yes , every bike on the road gets this sooner or later . you need to change the neck bearings.

go with tapered roller bearing. they will last longer.. key word..LONGER. 

• Member Contributer

I don't know if 7th gens have the same spec - 6th gens call for the steering head bearings to be re-torqued at IIRC 600 mi / 1,000 kms.  Mine were done and now  at 50,000 km equivalent  are still fine (knock wood).  Even though they will eventually wear,  that first service seems to prolong their service life. 

Apart, now confirmed, I have only checked bottom race and yes it feels notchy. (is that a word)..

I am pretty sure I know what causes it.  Dont ask because its a bit stupid really.

Hint starts with Wh......

• Member Contributer
On 7/15/2018 at 9:34 PM, weven said:

Apart, now confirmed, I have only checked bottom race and yes it feels notchy. (is that a word)..

I am pretty sure I know what causes it.  Dont ask because its a bit stupid really.

Hint starts with Wh......

starts with riding the bike! 

ALL OF THEM GET NOTCHY ! EVERY BICYCLE TOO!!

its called normal wear and tear.

even on perfectly adjusted bearings torqued with the most sensitive robotics that money can buy. .

the only way to avoid getting it that way is to park the bike and  never ride it.

Archived