Battery swap

BiKenG

I can confirm that a Shorai LFX14L2 - BS12 battery is man enough for the VFR1200.

This is such a diddly small little battery and so light it seems like it will float away, but it turns over and starts my VFR1200F as well as the original lead acid ever did. This battery is even smaller than the battery normally used in the FireBlade and CRF450X, but as I said, works great.

Caveat.

It is now summer and lithium batteries are known to struggle more when cold. I've no idea how much it would be affected, but it can be overcome by warming the battery slightly first (just turn on headlights for a short while) and in any case, I don't ride when it's that cold so I don't care. 😁

Also, if you're trying to run loads of accessories you may struggle. Having said that, you shouldn't be trying to run more than the generator can cope with in normal running anyway. If you are, then ride time will be limited whatever size battery you use. So I don't really see this as a problem.

Anyway, for my usage there are no such issues and it's not only a great way to save weight, but the space it gains allows me to also carry spare fuses, repair tape and puncture repair kit, all in less overall space than taken up by the original battery.

The above is not simply self advertising, but personal experience. However, I am able to supply Shorai batteries at a great price to members although probably only makes sense in the UK.

Anyone want a good original VFR1200F battery for the cost of shipping, just let me know.

• Member Contributer

Don't you need a special charger for these batteries?  I mean, I couldn't use my Optimate, right?

Ciao,

13 minutes ago, JZH said:

Don't you need a special charger for these batteries?  I mean, I couldn't use my Optimate, right?

Ciao,

Correct. A standard battery charger is not really suitable. But you can get battery 'tenders' that can do both types and I now have a couple of those (and I can get more). I guess I'll slowly transition to all dual type devices, but for now those 2 will suffice. Don't forget, the lithium batteries hold their charge MUCH better than traditional lead acid types. The theory is you don't actually need a battery tender as they'll last for months without being used. I've not tested this so cannot comment, but reports I've read indicate it is true.

It still amazes me that such a small battery which seems to weigh nothing spins over and starts the VFR1200 at least as well as the OEM battery. A great example of a good use of new technology. See, I'm not a complete luddite. 😀

• Member Contributer

Yeah lithium is awesome. Lightweight, small and last long on a charge. Cranks right up. My 2012 Vfr 1200f came with a deltran lithium battery. 

Archived