5th gen, rapidbike evo RPM readings incorrect

keef

Hi all,

I bought an RB evo maybe 8 mo9nths ago, but only started playing with it recently as I've been commuting on my fighter.

Aftermarket dash, RPM feed of the green/yellow wire, reads nice and clear. Idles at about 1150 or so ( usually 1100, but flicks occasionally between 11-1200 on the acewell)

opening up RB on the laptop, my memory is that the first time, it registered 1100rpm. Paying actual attention now, it reads 100rpm, or 500rpm at idle, when its idling nicely at 1100.

Its mostly pretty smooth, with the occasional flatspot, but I have 2 x short 6th gen stacks and 2 x super short aluminium aftermarket ones as well.

Ideas on why the RB RPM is reading incorrectly?

• Member Contributer

I don't know a lot on the RB, but usually revs on modern bikes are counted by crank angle sensor.

Bad voltage or connections will play havoc with this.

Its getting a signal from the crank - it has a blue bar to indicate its getting the signal. 

Bad earth giving a partial signal?

• Member Contributer

Could be, But its coming from the ECU isn't it?

Have you got rid of the earth block?

It sent me on a wild goose chase for a few weeks until I soldered the whole lot and ran a new earth back to frame.

• Member Contributer

Near the RR taped into the harness, it's a rectangular block.

Mine looked fine, so I cleaned it and sealed it, but electrical gremlins would not go away.

So I removed it, soldered all the wires together to a new bigger earth cable back to frame.

All was well after that, and has stayed that way for over 60,000kms.

I had yellowing headlights, blinkers faintly coming on with other gear, FI light blinking with blinkers and low voltage readings in some places.

• Member Contributer

Also check the bottom of the main fuse while you're there.

Often found with heat damage.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, VFROZ said:

Also check the bottom of the main fuse while you're there.

Often found with heat damage.

The 30a stuck on the front of the battery box? I replaced mine with a breaker, cause it was looking pretty toasty!

Fuse to Breaker

You can also see the position of the ground block in my pic. I inspected it a couple years ago and retaped with clear electrical tape.

Well that wasnt it.

Ground block had been removed previously, I checked the solder, etc. 30A fuse is fine.

Essentially, rapidbike is reading rpms at 10%of what they should be.

It turns out that if you dont properly connect the crank position sensor, it cant properly sense the crank position, so cant sense the revs properly.

Thanks to quicklap (aus distributor) and to gilles at rapidbike australia who helped me identify my stupidity.

Looking forward to commuting to work on it tomorrow.

Archived