Beating a dead horse - thermostats and 5th gen operating temperture

garcenw

On 7/31/2018 at 4:38 AM, KevCarver said:

That's what I did and it seemed to make it hotter...

176-178 on the highway in open air is perfect, no issues. Stuck behind a car it'll probably head up to 185.

Around city and stuck at lights it heats up quick though, if its over 75°F bikes in the 215-225° range, i think i might revisit the oil cooler mod(i think its off a GXSR) either way its twice the radiator size of oem oil cooler, and posted positive results

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Quick question: is there an upgrade thermostat for the 5th gen? Will 6th/8th gen thermostats work? 

Apparently the ST1300 has the same thermostat and they are famous for failing too. Those guys use aftermarket ones with good results. 

Anyone got experience? Any ideas? Don’t want to pull the throttle boddies out every 15k miles...

Stray

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Stray said:

Quick question: is there an upgrade thermostat for the 5th gen? Will 6th/8th gen thermostats work? 

Apparently the ST1300 has the same thermostat and they are famous for failing too. Those guys use aftermarket ones with good results. 

Anyone got experience? Any ideas? Don’t want to pull the throttle boddies out every 15k miles...

Stray

Thermostat on these bikes seldom fail, so not sure what sort of upgrade you're talking about.

Stock is fine, all trhermostats fail with time with no exception.

My 5G went for 100,000km and 15 years before I replaced it, as with most bikes or cars.

I doubt most after market ones would be better then that.

• Member Contributer

Thanks VFROZ. Trouble is some guys get lucky and others strike out.

This is the third thermostat in this 5th gen that I know of (service history from PO) and getting to the V is a real pain. Bike has 67k miles on her. My car has 89k and the one before it has 135k without a single thermostat change. In fact I’ve never had to change a thermostat in any of my vehicles ever! 

Oh well, just shelled out for an OEM replacement and matching o ring. Let the fun begin! 

• Member Contributer

It definitely is a crap job.

But you get a lot faster the more you do it.

I've now removed my TB's three times, and last time it was dismantled and back together again in under three hours including some serious cleaning.

Hope you have better luck this time round.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to doing the work to check/replace my thermostat in my 1998 VFR800. Removing the throttle body assembly required lots of lube and lots of mechanical persuasion. The thermostat was failed open (about 1/4" at room temperature). I tested the new thermostat prior to installing to make sure it worked per the spec and it did (it opened in the mid to high 170's F). With the new thermostat, it warms up a lot faster. I went out Sunday night and maintained 70 mph on US50 between Bowie, MD and Annapolis, MD. Ambient temperature was 39F. My dash gauge varied between 168F and 169 F when I held the aforementioned steady state speed, so I'm matching what "MadScientist" and "MaxSwell" reported. I guess the bypass hose to the radiator is just enough flow to allow some measurable cooling to take place which is why the gauge temperature is less than thermostat temperature (assuming the dash gauge is somewhat accurate).

Archived