Naked Delight - The story so far - Phase 3

I finally got around to finishing Phase 3 of my eVo4 project. This should have been completed last year, but some health issues put paid to that idea while still in the middle of some serious re-wiring. Once I tried to continue this year, it was a nightmare trying to remember what I had planned to do and even what I'd already done (I blame the drugs:-). However I finally got it back on the road last week and I think it now represents my original vision.

I noticed that the first and second phases of my conversion project are no longer viewable as I believe DropBox changed the URL scheme, so here's the full story:-

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z8yu4aut96wabsa/AADRBsQyLx4MbN2gPIAUROOUa?dl=0

eVo4-v3 - 1.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 2.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 3.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 4.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 5.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 6.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 7.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 8.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 9.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 10.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 11.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 12.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 13.jpg

eVo4-v3 - 14.jpg

• Like 6

• Member Contributer

I mostly don't like bikes that are converted to "streetfighters", especially VFR's. But that looks very good, almost looks

factory built. And the engine is hidden enough that you don't get the agricultural look that generally comes with converted

VFR's.

Just an excellent job, I may even prefer it to the OEM look.

12 minutes ago, FJ12Ryder said:

I mostly don't like bikes that are converted to "streetfighters", especially VFR's. But that looks very good, almost looks

factory built. And the engine is hidden enough that you don't get the agricultural look that generally comes with converted

VFR's.

Just an excellent job, I may even prefer it to the OEM look.

I think my FireFighter worked out and looked pretty good too. All images here:-

FireFighter Phase 2

IMG_1022.jpg

• Like 1

Both the Red and White look great.  While I was in the process of plastidipping mine, I had this look as well as using 20mm ammo cans till my saddle bags arrived.    Where did the tank “wings” come from?  

31016CCF-B64D-48D8-88DE-BA0BF877E3A8.jpeg

117DC31D-BA01-41A9-9C9B-F6DD1786286F.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, andy said:

...Where did the tank “wings” come from?  

Actually RC30 I believe, but that style is readily available on eBay.

Whoa, man!

That looks like serious business, I love it!

I got a few questions, hope you don't mind 😄

How did you get your hands on such a nice front fairing, though? Did you make it on your own, or is there a shop that sells fairings that fit on most bikes?

Any different sounds from the engine-mechanics itself?

What is the yellow stuff between the frame and the tank?

Is there an option you might post a video of your bike while running? 😄 

1 hour ago, Spreeweiler said:

Nice, these streetfighters just need machine gun mounts and retractable bayonets!!!:ph34r::ph34r::tour:

That's why in general I tend to not use the term 'Streetfighter'. I prefer 'naked roadster' or something similar.

The original streetfighters were stripped down (often after a crash) and the intention was for it to look scary. But I just want a naked version of bikes I like, that Honda don't do as standard. Not intended to be stunters, or scary in any way. Just with a more upright and comfortable riding position and not covered in plastic. When I started riding bikes there were virtually no fairings on road bikes. I followed the 'faster is better' mantra with sportsbikes for years, but eventually grew out of that. I no longer feel the desire to try and wrap myself around the petrol tank and always having to don full leathers before going for a ride. I guess most here feel similarly, that's why we like the VFR, but I like to go further and shed the plastics.

But 'streetfighter'? Nah. 😀

On 7/10/2018 at 3:49 PM, irishrOy said:

...I got a few questions, hope you don't mind 

Not at all.

How did you get your hands on such a nice front fairing, though? Did you make it on your own, or is there a shop that sells fairings that fit on most bikes?

It's the Alien by Puig. I chose it because it was the look I wanted and only later discovered I could mount it to the original front fairing bracket with the original mirrors, although I raised them slightly with a 10mm spacer. Rear view is good even though they look quite low.

I'm intending to replace the projector light units with LED, but not found anything suitable yet. I have an idea though so watch this space.

I think I may have bought the last 2 Aliens though as Puig has discontinued that fairing/screen. It's always the same, I discover something I want just as the manufacturer decides to discontinue it.

Any different sounds from the engine-mechanics itself?

Not that I'm aware of. The engine is quite quiet mechanically and the exhaust is surprisingly quiet despite the very short muffler (from a ZX-10R). In fact it makes a lovely V4 sound. Very smooth and mellow. Ask Mohawk, he's followed me.

What is the yellow stuff between the frame and the tank?

What I think you're referring to is gold aluminium mesh which covers the air intakes into the airbox.

Is there an option you might post a video of your bike while running? 😄 

That's a possibility, but right now I think the exhaust might need re-packing. It has about 7-8K miles on it so it quite likely does and I thought it was sounding a bit more raspy than usual on the last trip. I'll see. I might try and just record something anyway. I'll add it here when I do.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I'm glad to hear that you're not crazy about the "streetfighter" moniker. It's more like a standard bike from the 70's. Of which I

had many. Some I put small fairings on and some just kept plain.

I love fighters, and dont think its a fighter, either. Brilliant naked bike, though. Love the ride by wire conversion - the yamaha mt09 also has cables that go to electronics for their RBW system as well.

Can you lower the headlight a few inches?

9 hours ago, keef said:

Can you lower the headlight a few inches?

Not really as it sits down on the original fairing stay. Well it could be done by making a completely new bracket, but why? I think it looks the right height and does the job it is intended to do, keeping the bulk of the wind off me and allowing comfortable riding at the desired speeds. Any lower and I'd just be fighting more wind pressure.

Personally I think any lower would not look right. But feel free to do your own conversion, with the screen in whatever position you desire. 😀

My main use for this bike is European 'touring'. Relaxed and easy mile munching but terrific in the twisties too. My FireFighter (damn, I need to change its name) is the ultimate weapon in the Alps, but although the eVo4 is initially noticeably heavier slinging it through the Alpine hairpins, that feeling soon vanishes and it is at least as rewarding. Also doesn't require any chain adjustment at any time during the trip. 😀

The why was i think it would look better if the top of the red part of the fairing was at the top of the tank, thats all. I thought the lines from the tank would flow a bit better.

I'll stick with my 5th gen fighter. Its got the headlight just where i want it.

And stories of the australian snowy mountains arent quite the same as stories from the alps, are they?

Sad to say, I've not visited Australia, but I've seen pictures of great scenery. Certainly less crowded than Europe and the UK in particular.

I have my 4th and 5th gen projects too. But the eVo4 is my longer distance bike. Although I still fancy a CrossTourer as well. Oh and ...

• Member Contributer

Freaking awesome naked bike. I'm not usually the naked bike kind of guy. Just chicks! Lol. But this Vfr 1200 transformed is amazing.  Great creative job. Hats off to you and your ingenuity. 

15 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Nice job!

Any idea on the amount of weight reduction?

No, apart from a wild guess. I'd be interested in weighing it to compare. Would need to think of a way to do that and also to obtain a standard VFR1200F to weigh at the same time (well, not simultaneously of course 🙂 ) to obtain a true comparison.

12 hours ago, RC1237V said:

Those carbon side covers are tits, where did you get them? 

Apart from the dash, the only carbon fibre on the bike shields the wheels. 😀