New old Honda

I’ve always had a thing for the Honda Deauville ever since seeing both the 650 and the newer 700 while on vacation in the UK some years ago.    Just something about the purposeful, no frills look, the big seat, fairing and luggage.    When Honda imported the Deauville to the U.S. for two years back in 2010 & 2011 I checked them out but decided it wasn’t the right bike or the right price for me.     

Fast forward to today and we’re back in So Cal with its choked freeways.   The vfr has been a great commuter over the years but I wanted something that was made for the daily grind, something soft and easy with abs.......which led me back to the NT which has a lot of old school Honda charm.   

So I made it happen, nothing glamorous or fancy but finally picked up a 2011 NT700VA.    Love this thing for getting around the city, really is a great  bike just to go for a ride on.   

7EAEFAE5-FF77-490D-BE55-3B76CFD26F9D.jpeg

A7ABE350-C554-41C0-BD25-284B84D1854C.jpeg

I've always had a thing for them too.  Kinda like the hatchback of motorcycles; very practical, but not too hard to look at...Besides, a commute on ANY motorcycle is better than a commute in a cage.

• Member Contributer

Ahhhh the Deauville!  Does it not have this pass-through from one pannier to the other to stick a baguette in? :goofy:

• 1 month later...

Lol yes there is a pass through to can hold not only a baguette but some cheese and a long salami.   I’m not sure the NT/Deauville was intended to be a replacement for the Pacific Coast, I had a ‘94 for a short time that I  bought on the cheap to flip and I prefer the Deau, it really is a fun bike to ride.   I own more powerful bikes if I feel the need for high speed madness.   

I must admit the aesthetics and acoustics of the Deauville were never "saints of my devotion" as they say in Spain.

Yet that blacked out look is not unpleasing to my eye.

I have always advocated that colour and such are unimportant in a secondhand bike relative to the mechanical state and apparent maintenance or upkeep. So I can now appreciate the bike is apt for the proposed purpose.

In Spain the local police ride them so they must be comfortable and reliable.

• Member Contributer

You see them everywhere in the UK, and Europe for that matter. When I was working in the UK a few years back I swapped bikes with one of the guys at the shipyard for an afternoon after work. I had a Red 91 VFR, which he thought was the bees knees, he had a Deauville. It was only 40 miles but it was comfortable, virtually vibration free, easy on the wrists, plenty of storage and wind and weather protection. Plus it got 50+ miles to the gallon, which helps when your paying around $8.50-$9.00 per gallon. For its intended use, which is commuting, it is a 10 out of 10.

In 2008, I ended up working in San Diego for 6 months. I lasted exactly 3 days commuting before buying a motorcycle and handing the company car keys back. There was no way I was going to waste any part of my life sitting in traffic. It was a simple bike, a Honda CB650. Easy to work on, I removed and cleaned the carbs and re installed in about 3 hours. Hydraulic valves, external alternator, and starter, shaft drive, decent brakes and an easy riding position. It was light and nimble enough to make filtering a piece of cake. I ended up riding it back to Maine instead of flying. 

I think you made a great choice for what your doing.

Archived