00-01 Engine in 98 VFR800

Been a while since I posted, but I'm considering swapping out the engine in my VFR. I did a valve adjustment and really borked stuff up (I've never failed like this working on my bikes before). I'm concerned I REALLY messed stuff up and at the amount of money it would take to fix it, I could likely just purchase a new engine. I've been looking at engines on eBay and I found a 2000 engine in great condition with only 14k miles on it, but I'm not sure what else is needed to swap it in. I know two of the big changes for 00-01 from 98-99 are the added cat (and O2 sensor) and the closed loop mode in the EFI system. I can deal with the O2 sensor easily enough, but will my existing ECU flip out with the updated motor? Will the wiring even match up properly?

I know they also added HISS, not sure if that will be relevant or not. If I'm just using the existing ignition and ECU, I'm hoping HISS won't be a factor.

I searched around on the forum a bit but wasn't able to find the answer to this question.

• Member Contributer

There is no HISS in the US (North America?), so not an issue.

The ECU is the big difference, not the physical lump of the engine. Instead of removing the cats and O2 sensors from the whole '00-'01 and then plugging the O2 bung and giving the ECU a signal it is looking for (As in people modding their later bikes to run without the sensors and cat/con), your '98 ECU simply doesn't need them or want to look for them. I think that makes sense. Did you understand it?

The big thing would be the wax unit for the fast idle system. If the engine comes with the throttle body, and you really want it, you can probably splice it into the cooling system. OTOH, if your throttle body is fine and you want to keep the lever and cable, it should be ok.

• Member Contributer

I think I'm with Kev.... simple explanation... Use the core engine, dont use any fueling gear from the 01 and then all the running gear from your '98 - ECU, throttle bodies, fast idle stuff... dont forget the headers.. . etc and more etc and mount it to the new engine. Dont add complexity that isnt needed.  Go from there. 

• Member Contributer

Check the cam part numbers on '98 to '00-'01 to check they're the same, to make sure your '98 ECU will be timed right for the later cams. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, vfrcapn said:

Check the cam part numbers on '98 to '00-'01 to check they're the same, to make sure your '98 ECU will be timed right for the later cams. 

Was there a change? I just looked the parts fiche on Ron Ayers and they are the same #'s for all 4 years. The only weirdness is that the intakes for '98-'99 say (Source Vintage Parts Inc.) with the same price listed as '00-'01, and all 4 years Ex have no price listed.  

Looking at Partzilla's fiche, I have the following cams for both 1998 and 2000:

• Front Intake: 14110-MBG-00
  • Front Exhaust: 14130-MBG-00
  • Rear Intake: 14120-MBG-00
  • Rear Exhaust: 14140-MBG-00

Like Kev, I see that prices are identical and the 98 says the same weird title. However, since the part numbers are the same, I think we can be pretty confident that they are the same.

• Member Contributer

Make sure it's not an engine from a California bike--I thought there was a cam difference in 2000, either intake or exhaust?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I didn't think about checking CA bikes, but I just did and same numbers throughout. Anything CA would have to be external or in the ECU?

Stator will be toasty no matter what. Put it in and run it. You can always rewind your original at your leisure.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Terry said:

image.png.7b1063ee5ef5dbfd10b89a516cdf1e22.png

So what does this mean? What year are these numbers? Why are the part#s for all 4 years the same on cam shafts?

Likely does not mean anything for iThinkergoiMac since the majority of engines are 49 state, I'm just curious to close my own 5th Gen knowledge.

• Member Contributer

From parts fiches, 98-99 CA VFRs share 4 distinct cam part numbers: front intake, rear intake, front exhaust, rear exhaust.

1998-1999 49 state and all 2000-2001 VFRs share the same 4 cam part numbers.

iThinkergoiMac, it is worth checking the engine numbers on your replacement engine or the VIN on the donor bike to ascertain that you [hopefully] have a 49 state engine to go into your 49 state VFR. One of our senior members purchased a 98 [or maybe a 99] 5th gen in his home state of Ohio, only to find later that it was a CA motorcycle and had the milder cams and detuned ECU = less scoot. Better to know.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, KevCarver said:

So what does this mean? What year are these numbers? Why are the part#s for all 4 years the same on cam shafts?

Likely does not mean anything for iThinkergoiMac since the majority of engines are 49 state, I'm just curious to close my own 5th Gen knowledge.

The specs come from the 98-01 5G service manual, and show that the cams are different for California with 0.9mm less valve lift on both intake and exhaust compared to the rest. That will lead to slightly less performance and emissions. 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Terry said:

The specs come from the 98-01 5G service manual, and show that the cams are different for California with 0.9mm less valve lift on both intake and exhaust compared to the rest. That will lead to slightly less performance and emissions. 

20 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

From parts fiches, 98-99 CA VFRs share 4 distinct cam part numbers: front intake, rear intake, front exhaust, rear exhaust.

1998-1999 49 state and all 2000-2001 VFRs share the same 4 cam part numbers.

iThinkergoiMac, it is worth checking the engine numbers on your replacement engine or the VIN on the donor bike to ascertain that you [hopefully] have a 49 state engine to go into your 49 state VFR. One of our senior members purchased a 98 [or maybe a 99] 5th gen in his home state of Ohio, only to find later that it was a CA motorcycle and had the milder cams and detuned ECU = less scoot. Better to know.

Thanks. The CA cams are different, I couldn't recall if it was only '98-'99 or all 4 years, or if the '00-'01 49 state were different than the 49 state '98-'99. Different cams, different ecu's for timing. I swapped the 49 state cams and ecu in to my '99 CA bike, no other changes needed. But as long as you don't have a CA bike sounds like you're good to go. Good luck on the swap!

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

One of our senior members purchased a 98 [or maybe a 99] 5th gen in his home state of Ohio, only to find later that it was a CA motorcycle and had the milder cams and detuned ECU = less scoot. Better to know.

That be me... I bought mine in here in Ohio quite a while ago, then to discover later its a CA bike. At the time, why would anyone think a CA bike would be in Ohio? Anyhoo, I have a 49 state ECU, and in the mbe someday column, purchase the 49 state cams. (Or not..,...,... I'm in the just ride it mode. - I tear the thing down too often on a whim at any minor annoyance.)

Archived