knock on rev

anth85

I've noticed a small single knock when I first apply the throttle. Normal on idle and normal throughout the rev range. It is a fraction of a second after applying the throttle, single noise. It seem irrelevant of gear. Maybe something like the automatic choke pulling back in. Is this normal? I'll try and get a video of it later. 

37 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

Air Box Flapper?

recently removed, I thought that which was party why I did it. I think its only doing it when warm too. When I went to take the video before leaving work it wouldn't do it.

youtube link

17 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

Is sounds exactly like the flapper valve opening! Did you completely disable it?

yes, the vacuum pipe has a bolt in the end of it and the flapper valve has some electricians tape over the connection to keep it clean. When I get in from work tomorrow I'll lift the tank and try it to see if the air pressure flowing into the engine is making it move. Maybe the plastic getting warm makes it move. Not convinced though.

• Member Contributer

There is a solenoid that opens and closes to allow vacuum to move the flapper. Perhaps it's that?

May be moot, because looking at your video I think the flapper operates only with clutch and throttle. Didn't look like you were moving the clutch cause you weren't moving any. 

Beyond that I don't know...

• Member Contributer

Has the airbox snorkel been removed? I had this effect on my 6gen when I tried the snorkel removal mod, annoyed me so much I refitted the snorkel no further issues.

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

@anth85 There is your answer for the day! Grum said it seems to make that noise with it removed. Perhaps it's the electrical unit openin up that makes that noise.

At the time I had similar thoughts, that with the snorkel removed it perhaps amplified the sound of Flapper Valve activation. It was that same pop type of sound the OP is experiencing, it annoyed the crap out of me so refitted the snorkel and the sound dissappeared. As far as I'm concerned the snorkel mod is an utterly useless one. Not so the flapper mod.

Cheers. :beer:

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, anth85 said:

Thanks @Grum I did remove the snorkel at the same time as the flapper. I’ll try refitting and see what happens.

Was it just after you removed the snorkel that you noticed the issue? Let's know how you get on after refitting the snorkel.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Oh it's the SNORKEL removal that triggers this, not the FLAPPER. I see. I'll leave mine as is. Has anyone dyno tested these mods? They likely lose power at low RPMS.

Imho, the flapper/snorkel are there for one reason only (it is not like a powervalve in Yammy's...) and that is noise regulations which measured at a specific rev range. 

Same as EVAP, which is there to reach emission standards....

3 hours ago, Grum said:

Was it just after you removed the snorkel that you noticed the issue? Let's know how you get on after refitting the snorkel.

Cheers.

I'm not sure. It's my first bike and I am still learning what is normal and what is not. Snorkel will go back in tonight and I'll probably be able to tell on my commute into work tomorrow.

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, anth85 said:

I'm not sure. It's my first bike and I am still learning what is normal and what is not. Snorkel will go back in tonight and I'll probably be able to tell on my commute into work tomorrow.

No worries anth85. If your 6gen has been well cared for they are a fabulous bike, you've made a great choice, they do have a couple of issues but nothing too major. If you have a good read of everything on this forum you're going to learn at lot about your bike very quickly. Keen to hear if the snorkel refit does the trick.

Cheers.

Grum:beer:

12 minutes ago, Grum said:

No worries anth85. If your 6gen has been well cared for they are a fabulous bike, you've made a great choice, they do have a couple of issues but nothing too major. If you have a good read of everything on this forum you're going to learn at lot about your bike very quickly. Keen to hear if the snorkel refit does the trick.

Cheers.

Grum:beer:

thanks,

can you advise on which brake pads I should be looking at, last MOT had them as an advisory so I would like to get them changed this weekend? Are they the same for the 5th and 6th gens? I presume they are the same for the ABS and none ABS models? This one has abs.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, anth85 said:

thanks,

can you advise on which brake pads I should be looking at, last MOT had them as an advisory so I would like to get them changed this weekend? Are they the same for the 5th and 6th gens? I presume they are the same for the ABS and none ABS models? This one has abs.

Hi anth85. The very popular choice of brake pads and the ones I also use are the EBC double H Sintered Pads. You should be able to find the EBC catalog on line and find the ones to suite your bike. If it was an 8gen I could supply you the numbers. Any good local bike shop should be able to help you with EBC pads to suit.

Cheers.

45 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi anth85. The very popular choice of brake pads and the ones I also use are the EBC double H Sintered Pads. You should be able to find the EBC catalog on line and find the ones to suite your bike. If it was an 8gen I could supply you the numbers. Any good local bike shop should be able to help you with EBC pads to suit.

Cheers.

thanks, final question I promise. Do all three calipers use the same pads?

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, anth85 said:

thanks, final question I promise. Do all three calipers use the same pads?

No. Two fronts are obviously the same but the rear is different.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Urbanengineer said:

On a 6th gen , I thought all 3 calipers were the same?

Have you checked? If the rear disc is smaller in diameter and thicker than the front, that alone would mean they are not the same. Part numbers I recorded for my non ABS 6th gen are definetly different between Front and Rear!

Front Discs are 296mm x 4.5mm

Rear Disc is 256mm x 6mm

haha it's fine. I sent sporkbikeshop an email to see which I needed and they said 3 pairs of the same which I was surprised at too. Going to watch the England match then go and fit the snorkel.

Archived