Fork Seals

lazyeye

45 minutes ago, Rsparky said:

Check bikebandit. I just bought a set of leakproof seals when I did mine. 

OK, let's seee how long they remain leakproof.. i tried saving money on cheap seals; never again !

leakproof is the product name, not its practical description.......... as they often do leak !!!

buy OEM seals or regret it soon.

• Member Contributer

When I spoke with Jamie at DMr a couple of years ago when I was rebuilding my forks, he sold OEM or SKF but most of the time it was OEM that people bought. He basically said the same as Squirrel, OEM just work and vary rarely have problems. He said the SKF have less stiction and would be a more premium type of seal.

• Member Contributer

what MOST people forget..

and why the new seals leak..

YOU MUST PREP THE FORK TUBE. 

there is a reason your seal is leaking.. is the tube scratched ? pitted  ??

what ever.. who cares..  the point is 99% DONT polish the tube with 0000 steal wool.. and forget  use condoms on the fork,

yes, you read that right..

put a condom on the end you plan on sliding the seal.  ..

it will protect the lip of the seal past sharp edges and clamp marked areas. 

slide on seal.. cut of tip of condom.. slide  to the seals operating area.. snip condom as close to seal as possible, and remove rest from seal. 

:fing02:

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

When I spoke with Jamie at DMr a couple of years ago when I was rebuilding my forks, he sold OEM or SKF but most of the time it was OEM that people bought. He basically said the same as Squirrel, OEM just work and vary rarely have problems. He said the SKF have less stiction and would be a more premium type of seal.

Last time I changed a set I put in SKF. Dramatically less stiction! Wasn't my bike though. I think neither (OEM or SKF) will leak without external forces, i.e. grit or scoring on the slider. Bike I changed the seals in was a 6th Gen that had a few miles of dirt/gravel to and from the house. Lots of opportunity for stuff to foul the seals!

Archived