Leaking fuel pump

• Member Contributer

Well, getting ready for SUMSUM 4 and had the plastics off today and found that the fuel pump is leaking from the seam were the two part body is put together. Can this be fixed or is my only option a new fuel pump?

• Member Contributer

you can do a temp fix with SEAL ALL.. but your best bet is replacing it and adding longer lines to mount the pump vertically..

the leak and a horizontal pump has lead to more than one pump catching fire..

• Member Contributer

I've never heard of this mode of failure.  You mean it's leaking from the seam underneath the rubber mount, or from under the plastic end cap?  Either one is probably bad!  

I don't think I'd want to be going on a trip with a bodged fuel pump.  Many, many bikes from different manufacturers use Mitsubishi pumps similar to that one, but I don't know how much time you have to sort this out with a creative replacement.  

However, you can remove the pump entirely and go gravity-feed if you need to.  You'd have to re-route the fuel lines.  I've had to do this in an emergency and I know others have done it as well.  Just keep the tank fairly full.  I left it like that for months before replacing the pump.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. And yes it's leaking from where the two-part body comes together, under the rubber mount. I've ordered a new one, didn't feel comfortable going on a long trip taking a chance I'd be riding a potential road flare. 

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

This failure is very, very unusual  !   😱

no, its not. its rather common. i must have changed a good 25 to 30 over the years with this problem. i have written about

it at least 3 times on here..

17 hours ago, gll429 said:

no, its not. its rather common. i must have changed a good 25 to 30 over the years with this problem. i have written about

it at least 3 times on here..

Guess i should have stated that i never saw the problem in 28 years of owning and working on many VFR's.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, squirrelman said:

Guess i should have stated that i never saw the problem in 28 years of owning and working on many VFR's.

Owning is different than wrenching in a shop. i personally have had it happen twice ,on an 87 .. catching fire once. 

18 hours ago, gll429 said:

Owning is different than wrenching in a shop. i personally have had it happen twice ,on an 87 .. catching fire once. 

But i HAVE worked in shops, fixed many  V-4's in the Honda line (Magnas, Sabres) and still never saw it.  thanks for the fire warning though.

of course we're talking OEM pumps only, not Chinese replacements, which i would expect to leak ??

Archived