Best phone mount ever!

I thought I would share my phone mount with you guys. 

Here is the link for what you need

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PK661Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is made of composite so you need to carefully drill out the holes towards each other with a drill bit. Take your time and it will come out fine. 

Then you mount it on your tank bolts. The best part of it is that it stays stationary because it is not mounted to your steering arm like with a stem mount. 

Here is the rest of the stuff you will need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074WMQLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FFNXOG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

Joel

I will take a pic of what it looks like on the bike.

IMG_20180629_105050438.jpg

IMG_20180629_105134523.jpg

IMG_20180629_105229844.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks neat Joel. Bit hard to tell from the photo, but does the mount base clear the tank? Looks very close to it, hope it's not rubbing against the tank?

• Member Contributer

I've had my phone mounted like that for years. I stole the idea off somebody else on this forum. It's undoubtedly a great idea, but not a new one.

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Looks neat Joel. Bit hard to tell from the photo, but does the mount base clear the tank? Looks very close to it, hope it's not rubbing against the tank?

No.....its real close but after a week of riding I took it apart and checked and it is all good.  The composite material is very easy to pull the drill bit the direction that it needs to go without hurting the outer rim of the bolt holes. One thing I did was first put a bigger hole in the same spot.....that was an error. It slightly weakened the outer rim. I should have matched the drill bit to the existing hole and then pulled both holes inward on each side. No biggie it is still in one piece and doing fine.  I like it this way instead of on the bars since my phone stays put and doesn't swing with the bars, or rotate with the stem.  

thanks

Joel. 

I've had a ram ball mount like that on my  5th generation for years. Used to hold a GPS  also bought  an extra otter box belt holster that works withe my phone case and then found aball mount that would mount on that holster so I can use it to mount  my phone. I was never really sure how that ram x-mount would hold the phone securely. With the otter box,phone just snaps in or out in seconds when off the bike. I agree it's a great place to mount electronics and with different length ram mount rods or what ever they're called you can very the height and angle of what ever your mounting. I've also got a usb outlet on the right cowl area so connecting to power takes only a 12" usb cable. If you really start looking ram system can set you up with about anything and there are some cheaper knock offs that work with a lot of phones,  gps and other electronics. Don't know how it works with the latest  generation vfr or if you use a tank bag, but a longer rod might even adapt it in those applications. I haven't seen that mount suggested for quite some time , thanks for reviving it for those new vfr owners.  Mike.   

Where did you find a 2005 with only 7100 miles ??  Are there anymore available??

• Member Contributer

The tank-bolt mounted RAM is not new....I had one on my 5th Gen shortly after I bought it in 2001. :lobby::wink:

• Member Contributer

Why would you buy something you have to drill?

As the stem mount is central, any movement due to bar movement is inconsequential.

• Member Contributer

Had one for years. RAM mount had slotted holes that lined up with the tank bolts fine.

Just had to buy longer stainless bolts and washers.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the standard RAM handlebar mount has the bolt holes that fit with no drilling, and are a little bit further away from

the tank that this one, you just throw away the U-bolt. At least as near as I can tell. And longer bolts are definitely a necessity.

There's quite a bit of clearance between the ball and my tank as you can see. Of course this is for a '99 so the '05 could be different.

Cockpit.jpg

Datel.jpg

Archived