Penske shock for $50???

• Member Contributer

Did I just buy a Penske shock on eBay for $50 delivered???

s-l1600.jpg

I AM overdue for a lucky brake.

Will find out in a couple of days.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a Penske...you should still have it rebuilt to suit you and your bike though. On that note, I also bought a Penske off of eBay and the owner stated it was for a GSXR, or perhaps more precisely, was from his GSXR. Key words “for” and “from” have different and specific meanings!

Turns out the shock was not made for a traditional street bike but for a Harley dirt tracker, confirmed by Penske themselves! I Ultimately I sent it to DMr and had Jamie rebuild it with the correct components and for my 5 Gen as a track bike. Kudos to Jamie because the shock has been great!

• Member Contributer

Was it a Buy It Now, or a bid? I won the bid on some parts for my Yamaha some years back for a ridiculous price. The guy sent

me an email and said he was too cheap and he couldn't get rid of it for that price. What a dick.

I had my Penske resprung and revalved for a different weight, and had the roller bearing thrust washer put on at the same time. That

makes it a lot easier to adjust the preload. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I didn't think it was bad at all. And I'm a

cheapskate.

• Member Contributer

It was a buy it now. 

The guy has good feedback and looks like a wrecker from the other stuff he sold. 

The shock is attached to 3rd gen linkage. 

On the down side, looks like it’s missing remote reservoir. 

I just hope that he doesn’t say that he was selling the linkage only. I have a bunch of those to give away myself. 

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Was it a Buy It Now, or a bid? I won the bid on some parts for my Yamaha some years back for a ridiculous price. The guy sent

me an email and said he was too cheap and he couldn't get rid of it for that price. What a dick.

Are they allowed to do that without stating a minimum bid? Some auctions show “minimum bid not met” when there are bids posted. I usually go for the buy it now or make an offer bids, as this way way I can pay what I feel the item is worth or what I feel is a decent offer. Up to the seller to accept my offer and most of the time they do. I actually got off guard once, they accepted my offer and I hadn’t come up with the funds in my PayPal account! 

Sorry Rice, didn’t mean to hijack...

• Member Contributer

Straight buy it now. Perfectly normal. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Are they allowed to do that without stating a minimum bid? Some auctions show “minimum bid not met” when there are bids posted. I usually go for the buy it now or make an offer bids, as this way way I can pay what I feel the item is worth or what I feel is a decent offer. Up to the seller to accept my offer and most of the time they do. I actually got off guard once, they accepted my offer and I hadn’t come up with the funds in my PayPal account! 

Sorry Rice, didn’t mean to hijack...

There was no reserve so going by Ebay rules at the time, he was obligated to sell it at whatever price was highest. My bid

was the high bid, but about the only one, and so low as to be ridiculous. But if he wanted more money he should have put

a reserve price. It wasn't worth the hassle of involving Ebay, and complaining. This was when Ebay was strictly a bid site.

If my memory serves me correctly it was an FJ1200 bare frame, and my bid was $5. 🙂

Sorry Rice, last hijack. :beer:

• Member Contributer

It won't be $50 after you get a remote reservoir and have it rebuilt!  But possibly still a good deal.

eBay is a bit of a lottery, but most sellers are fairly stand-up about it.  Earlier this year I got this Honda PGM-FI pinout box diagnostic kit for $10 (plus $18.95 shipping!):

s-l1600.jpg

Now all I need is a PGM-FI diagnostic problem to solve...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, JZH said:

It won't be $50 after you get a remote reservoir and have it rebuilt!  But possibly still a good deal.

eBay is a bit of a lottery, but most sellers are fairly stand-up about it.  Earlier this year I got this Honda PGM-FI pinout box diagnostic kit for $10 (plus $18.95 shipping!):

Ciao,

That could be arranged 🤪

• Member Contributer

It appears to be a Penske 8900, which is a $700 shock. It has a single, rebound adjustment at the bottom. It could have compression adjustment added, via a remote reservoir. But, for a VFR, it’s a bit of a waste. It is pre-load and length-adjustable, as well. I’d just have it serviced, sprung, and valved for yourself  and run it. I have one on my SV and it’s a great shock.

• Member Contributer
On 6/29/2018 at 11:13 AM, JZH said:

s-l1600.jpg

Ciao,

Now that's a handy item to have around the shop - especially for that kind of coin.  Nice find! 

• Member Contributer

The package has arrived!  

Time for the reveal. 

Here, ladies and gents is what you can SOMETIMES get on eBay for $50 delivered:

C6CD79CB-3913-4D8B-B7BB-46351B65B0B1.jpeg

And the recepient

121B7F68-4F5E-4A69-9A26-BEC1D79B7781.jpeg

If you need any spares for it, Nick at Stoltec Moto is a penske dealer, and owns a 6th gen.

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, keef said:

If you need any spares for it, Nick at Stoltec Moto is a penske dealer, and owns a 6th gen.

Thank you for the info.

It does appear to be 8900 as ducnut said.  It does not have a remote can, which is fine for me.  I will put it on as is, which should be an improvement on the stock 93 shock.  Added benefit is height adjustment, as I am in the process of raising the rear as far as it will go.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rice said:

Thank you for the info.

It does appear to be 8900 as ducnut said.  It does not have a remote can, which is fine for me.  I will put it on as is, which should be an improvement on the stock 93 shock.  Added benefit is height adjustment, as I am in the process of raising the rear as far as it will go.

Be aware of your linkage clearances, when you jack it up. You may try suspending the rear, just to make sure there’s no contact. 

I’m not sure how much thread engagement is required, but, you may contact Penske for info. 

I’d strongly recommend having that shock serviced, before use. You’ve no idea how many miles are on it. The last thing you want is to be causing internal damage from lack of maintenance. If you saw how the insides of a shock work, you’d understand why it’s so important to care for it. I’m a 12yr customer of Traxxion Dynamics and just ordered my 4th Penske from them, today. I highly recommend them. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, ducnut said:

Be aware of your linkage clearances, when you jack it up. You may try suspending the rear, just to make sure there’s no contact. 

I’m not sure how much thread engagement is required, but, you may contact Penske for info. 

I’d strongly recommend having that shock serviced, before use. You’ve no idea how many miles are on it. The last thing you want is to be causing internal damage from lack of maintenance. If you saw how the insides of a shock work, you’d understand why it’s so important to care for it. I’m a 12yr customer of Traxxion Dynamics and just ordered my 4th Penske from them, today. I highly recommend them. 

Thanks for the advise.  I appreciate it.

For now, I am not riding this bike and will just mock everything up.  Will definitely send it out for a rebuild along with the R1 forks to match my weight and riding style.

I actually modified the stock dog bones to get a 2" raise of the rear in order to counteract the effect of the increased rake, which resulted from the different geometry of the R1 lower and 929 upper tripples.  But it is still a bit low for my liking - I like my bikes tall.  Just like my women 😁

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Rice said:

The package has arrived!  

Time for the reveal. 

Here, ladies and gents is what you can SOMETIMES get on eBay for $50 delivered:

C6CD79CB-3913-4D8B-B7BB-46351B65B0B1.jpeg

And the recepient

121B7F68-4F5E-4A69-9A26-BEC1D79B7781.jpeg

It found a deserving home - nice restoration project.  Glad to see another 3rd gen brought back to life! 

• Member Contributer

You also don't know if it has the right stroke for a VFR750FL-P.  Someone could have just bodged the shock from another bike to fit the VFR (this happened to me!).  Also, when I had my "mystery" Penske  rebuilt by Ed Sorbo (Lindemann) he noted that the 15 year-old internal bumper was disintegrating and the bits clogging the rebound circuit.  So, the rebuild of shock of unknown origins and vintage is probably a good idea.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I've often wondered if ownership of Penske shocks is as in Roger Penske, Indy Car team owner.   It seems plausible - anyone know if that's the case? 

Rog started making shocks to gain whatever small advantage in the Indycar series, and always has the best engineers.

• Member Contributer
On 7/4/2018 at 4:40 AM, squirrelman said:

Rog started making shocks to gain whatever small advantage in the Indycar series, and always has the best engineers.

Same reason he started making self-drive moving vans, amazingly enough... :blush:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 7/4/2018 at 10:49 AM, SEBSPEED said:

Nice score Dmitry! We should get together again one of these days!

Seb,  yes. It has been too long. 

Archived