Tall skinny nephew - what gear for him?

sfdownhill

• Member Contributer

Hello community. My nephew is 6’3’ and weighs about as much as a beanpole of the same height - he is thin. He just got home from his first year of college, is looking toward our two wheeled means of transportation, and, bless him, is making it a priority to gear up for safety. We’ve also got him scheduled for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation class to get his technique started on the correct foot.

Question - does anyone have suggestions for riding gear (jacket, pants, etc) that are tailored for the long, tall, lean type of rider? In my experience, the sizes with longer sleeves and pant legs all skew toward the heftier rider.

Thanks for any assistance offered.

• Member Contributer

Although not typically for the budget conscious rider, Dainese started to make gear for those with longer limbs but normal girth.

• Member Contributer

Thank you Dr. Dianese (Duc2V4). If Dianese asks you to do any more a/v engineering for their stores, bring my nephew Ayden along as a helper - he’s a smart hard worker and maybe they’ll offer him some of the perks they comped. At this point, a Dianese kit for the kid will depend on a combination of his own earning capacity and his grades.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, duccmann said:

I’d say go to a Cyclegear and have him try on a few.
There selection is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the Cycle Gear stores near me, mostly carry huge quantities of their house brand stuff, Bilt and Sedici, everything else they say they would  have to order. Although now that the company has access to the brands that Revzilla carries, maybe that’s changing. I hope so because there’s one literally 5 miles down the road from me.

Normally I have been buying from my friends at the D-Store Orange County or riding to Chaparral in Riverside, I get a 10% discount there, slightly better deal than CG due to the discount and most of the time a  better base price. Basically a 2% better deal once tax has been figured in.

However, back on the topic, I believe that some of the other European brands are starting to go with the “short” and “long” versions of cut and some even adopting to make “American” cut clothing, whatever the latter means. Might have to ask Anthony at Revzilla on that one, as he makes that statement a lot.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, keef said:

American means fat.

Euro sizing is slimmer/athletic.

Sorry blokes.

Yeah, just didn’t want to say that out loud. On a good note, the Euro sizing seems to fit me well. 😉

• Member Contributer

Don't get him any biker jeans, they're useless as far as protection goes and not cheap, all they do is provide a false sense of security 

American cut means not fitted, just straight cut, their "fashion" gear always looks like it's made in China as a result

• Member Contributer

Thank you all for the responses. I’ll get him out to CG and find another well stocked shop near him in the Bay Area (San Jose) to visit.

5 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Don't get him any biker jeans, they're useless as far as protection goes and not cheap, all they do is provide a false sense of security 

American cut means not fitted, just straight cut, their "fashion" gear always looks like it's made in China as a result

I love my knox richmond jeans- comes with knee and hip armour, and full kevlar lining. Cheap, too, at $200 aus delivered.

The richmonds are a tighter fit so the armour cant move in a crash. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, keef said:

I love my knox richmond jeans- comes with knee and hip armour, and full kevlar lining. Cheap, too, at $200 aus delivered.

The richmonds are a tighter fit so the armour cant move in a crash. 

How long do you think they'll stand up sliding on the road?

The armour will move as soon as the outer is ripped 

For $200 you can get some proper textiles or even leathers

7 hours ago, Thumbs said:

How long do you think they'll stand up sliding on the road?

The armour will move as soon as the outer is ripped 

For $200 you can get some proper textiles or even leathers

What do you mean by proper textiles?

Kevlar is bullet proof; im not sure how much more "proper" you can get.

The hip armour is inside the kevlar layer, so can't get torn out. The knee armour is outside the kevlar layer, but i have never slid on my knees in a crash, ever, so i dont see it as an issue.

What leathers can you buy for $200 Australian dollars?

Slide time? No idea, but its only got to be 4 seconds to be comparable to leather.

• Member Contributer

I have a few pairs of the “street style” Kevlar lined pants and I have no illusion of them holding up in a crash the same as leather but it’s a compromise I’m willing take, just to be able to commute on a bike without having a place to change out of my gear. Although the pants I have, do have knee armor pockets, I use the knee/shin amor that straps to the leg, as I feel it will stay in place much better in the event I go down. Most of the miles I ride are highway miles with some stop and go traffic, not that this really means anything other than I’m not canyon carving.

Anytime I’m doing the latter, I have a set of Leathers on, almost exclusively. I do also have a textile two piece setup that I’ll wear in really hot conditions but I adjust my riding somewhat and usually ride less sportingly, if I do. Having crashed in both types of gear (leather and Kevlar) I will say the leather did its job extremely well, as did the Kevlar but the speeds were much different. The leather pants was around 40-50 MPH and I slid for a few yards and ended up with a hole in the knee of the pants. When I went down with the Kevlar pants, I was going around 10-15 MPH and lightly hit the ground (both were low sides BTW) and other than a little mark where I hit the pavement (just a quick brush on the ground, no long slide) you wouldn’t know I had went down with them on.

Would the Kevlar hold up in similar situations as what happened to me with my Leathers on? Don’t know but I do trust that they will be a hell of a lot better than a pair of Levi’s, as I’ve seen how those hold up in situations similar to my crash with the Kevlar pants on. If I could attend meetings and work in Leathers, I’d wear them any time I ride but since I don’t work in a traditional office space, I do not have the luxury of being able to change out of them when I get to the work site, so “street style” pants it is. I think they are an good compromise but wouldn’t make them my every day, all the time pants, that’s for sure.

I've crashed at, say 100kph on the street, slid into a guard rail in Kevlar jeans (draggins) and a joe rocket textile jacket.

The jacket wore through to the armour, but no injuries. 

The the denim was scuffed up, Kevlar 100% intact. No gravel rash.

Broke my femur, tib an fib, but that was from sliding into the rail side on. It would have broken in leathers, too, since no body armour protects the side of your leg.

Normal jeans would have been massive gravel rash and a broken leg. 

Kevlars are bloody brilliant.

I wear my Knox Richmond jean all day at work. I split my time between construction sites and office.

• Member Contributer

I’ll add this Kevlar jeans data to the equation. It may be the lesser of two evils in that he’ll wear Kevlar jeans when he rides around campus or town, where, like Duc2V4, he wouldn’t change into and out of riding gear for short hops.

• 1 month later...

Also expensive but Aerostich in Duluth does off the rack sizes, alterations, and full custom sizes.  Maybe start with just a Roadcrafter or Darien jacket?

I've had one piece Roadcrafters, currently just a jacket paired with AD-1 pants.  Their stuff is top notch.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Hawk. I should have thought of Aerostitch; I have one.

The nephew visited this past weekend, and we went for a ride with paired Scala Packtalks [OOTV, thanks for loaning me the wife's Packtalk]. All went well, we suited up with gear, went for a ride, and had a good time, but his grandparents gave him a generous gift of $moola$ to buy a car, and suddenly he's less interested in motorcycling.

Archived