Rear rotor hot

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Not specific to VFR's, but for most any street bike. My rear brake rotor is hot to the touch after riding and I don't use it much. I just changed the rear tire, so had the wheel off. Wheel spacers are correct, visually don't see overt run-out, should I be concerned? Don't know if it was like this prior to changing my tire...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Some slight contact with the disc is normal but if there is enough to generate significant heat then some investigation might be in order. Does the wheel rotate freely when jacked up? If not then you might have drag due to the piston failing to retract properly (could be dirty seals, or a hydraulics problem) or if you have a sliding caliper, the sliding pins might be corroded/seized. Either way some simple maintenance might sort it, e.g. pushing the pistons out a little and cleaning the sealing surface with brake cleaner and an old shoelace. (or, with a user name like 2thdr, I'm guessing you may have more advanced ways of cleaning nooks and crannies...). Always a good idea to flush and bleed the brake, you could have a little debris in the tiny return port in the master cylinder trapping some line pressure; if you crack the bleeder when the brake is dragging and the drag disappears, that would be a good test for that caise.

Or, if you are anything like me, you may just be using more rear brake than you consciously realise....

• Member Contributer
57 minutes ago, Terry said:

Some slight contact with the disc is normal but if there is enough to generate significant heat then some investigation might be in order. Does the wheel rotate freely when jacked up? If not then you might have drag due to the piston failing to retract properly (could be dirty seals, or a hydraulics problem) or if you have a sliding caliper, the sliding pins might be corroded/seized. Either way some simple maintenance might sort it, e.g. pushing the pistons out a little and cleaning the sealing surface with brake cleaner and an old shoelace. (or, with a user name like 2thdr, I'm guessing you may have more advanced ways of cleaning nooks and crannies...). Always a good idea to flush and bleed the brake, you could have a little debris in the tiny return port in the master cylinder trapping some line pressure; if you crack the bleeder when the brake is dragging and the drag disappears, that would be a good test for that caise.

Or, if you are anything like me, you may just be using more rear brake than you consciously realise....

Neither one of you should be using the rear brake that much!  Unless riding wheelies maybe. 90/10. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your input Terry! I think I'll take off the caliper and do some cleaning of the pistons. The caliper pin could likely use a good polishing too. Fluids we're flushed and bled at a big 11k mile service so hopefully it's not a plugged return port.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

This is interesting because I've also noticed the same. No dragging brake issue and no over use of the rear. Just put it down to lack of air flow over the rear rotor and that the front is shared by two rotors with good air flow.

• Member Contributer

I have big feet and always need to adjust brake and shift levers near to the bottom extreme of their adjustment range, otherwise my foot will gently rest on the brake when I am not deliberately using the brake. 

I have big feet and always need to adjust brake and shift levers near to the bottom extreme of their adjustment range, otherwise my foot will gently rest on the brake when I am not deliberately using the brake. 

If your Honda has abs, the brakes are linked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I was replying to the OP; his bike is either a V-Strom or a FZ-09, neither have linked brakes. My 5G doesn't have linked brakes any more either!

I was replying to the OP; his bike is either a V-Strom or a FZ-09, neither have linked brakes. My 5G doesn't have linked brakes any more either!

Isn’t this the vfrd board?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, MarkinReno said:

If your Honda has abs, the brakes are linked.

Also the 8gen VFR has ABS but no linked brakes, same goes for the VFR1200 I think. I am referring to linked brakes as per the 6gen.

Also the 8gen VFR has ABS but no linked brakes, same goes for the VFR1200 I think. I am referring to linked brakes as per the 6gen.

My vfr12000f had linked brakes.df15105736c70cfdaedc45a7dda03fb7.jpg

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, MarkinReno said:

My vfr12000f had linked brakes.df15105736c70cfdaedc45a7dda03fb7.jpg

Ok wasn't too sure about the 1200 sorry about that. But the 8gen has ABS without linked brakes.

Archived