Hi everybody, just rode my new 2014 vfr800dx home Saturday

Rollos

Shopping around for a new bike for the next past three weeks after selling my bmw g650x country I was happily surprised to see this beauty only 200 miles away in Central PA. 

Since the 2014 standard is still selling for 8k in NYC i figured 8.5k is a done deal for a new deluxe.

Love it so far. And the best part is I've only got 60 miles of the break in left to run in! 

Resized_20180618_091555_3260.jpeg

IMG_20180624_181217.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard Rollos! Nice ride you got there, I’m sure you’ll find this site to be quite useful for getting answers to any questions you might have about your ride. 

• Member Contributer

She's a beaut. And welcome to the asylum. You obviously have great taste in mc's. And good timing.

• Member Contributer

Hi there Rollos. Glad you got the fast colour! I'm surprised that people are still able to purchase from new a 2014 model,  thought they would be long sold off by now.

How's your warm engine idle speed? should be set to 1200rpm. So many of us 8gen owners have had high idle settings from new. It's a simple adjustment you can do, it's the knurled black knob just slightly up and forward of the clutch slave cylinder. Strangely the owners booklet states Idle Speed is non adjustable! Crap.

Enjoy your Lady In Red be nice to her.

Cheers.:beer:

On 6/29/2018 at 1:59 AM, Grum said:

Hi there Rollos. Glad you got the fast colour! I'm surprised that people are still able to purchase from new a 2014 model,  thought they would be long sold off by now.

How's your warm engine idle speed? should be set to 1200rpm. So many of us 8gen owners have had high idle settings from new. It's a simple adjustment you can do, it's the knurled black knob just slightly up and forward of the clutch slave cylinder. Strangely the owners booklet states Idle Speed is non adjustable! Crap.

Enjoy your Lady In Red be nice to her.

Cheers.:beer:

Hi Grum, 

She runs a bit high (1500-1700) but nothing like 2k+ some have experienced. I read somewhere that this was done purposefully to mitigate some first gear annoyances during break in. I was wondering if i should leave it as is until the 600 mile mark. Thanks for the go ahead on the adjust! 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Rollos said:

Hi Grum, 

She runs a bit high (1500-1700) but nothing like 2k+ some have experienced. I read somewhere that this was done purposefully to mitigate some first gear annoyances during break in. I was wondering if i should leave it as is until the 600 mile mark. Thanks for the go ahead on the adjust! 

Hi Rollos. If your warm Idle speed is annoying you just simply adjust it to1200rpm with engine up to temp. Never heard of any annoyances with first gear during break in.

Enjoy your new set of wheels.

• Member Contributer

This makes me wonder when the last new VFR will be sold.  That will be a sad day . . .

On 6/30/2018 at 10:06 PM, Cogswell said:

This makes me wonder when the last new VFR will be sold.  That will be a sad day . . .

There's still a white standard 2014 in a dealership in Queens, nyc for 8150 if anyone is interested.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:25 AM, Rollos said:

There's still a white standard 2014 in a dealership in Queens, nyc for 8150 if anyone is interested.

Not anymore, lol got it the same day you posted this comment. Just did 400 miles and a out to do the first service. Is there anything I should be looking for??

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, Asphaltbites said:

Not anymore, lol got it the same day you posted this comment. Just did 400 miles and a out to do the first service. Is there anything I should be looking for??

Lucky you. First service is oil and filter change. Check your warm engine idle speed, set it to 1200rpm. Check coolant, brake and clutch fluid levels. Check your chain tension, tyre pressures and your done. Enjoy your new set of wheels.

Cheers:beer:

2 hours ago, Asphaltbites said:

Terrific! Reach out if your up to do some rides. I'm in Brooklyn. 

First service seems pretty easy to do on your own. I'm hoping i can put mechanics list together for more complicated work (maintenance thread). I was thinking that might come in handy as a resource. 

Archived