How does one remove the left pivot nut on a 2001 VFR800fi

MaxSwell

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

If I can do it, anybody can!  :laugh:

20141229_164505_resized_1_zpse6e70c23.JPG

Wow. Quite impressive. I'd be more willing to get to that point if this were not my only rider.

But you are inspiring me to give this a shot. I'll probably cost me north of $400 to have them do it. Thanks Cogs. I'm going to give it a shot.

As the desperate frequently say: Here goes nothing. :ohmy:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, KevCarver said:

I see your no swing arm and raise you No Frame! 😜

7277A184-4CD4-486F-8D1E-B806CF377FAA.jpeg

I fold . . .    :smile:

• Member Contributer

35 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

I fold . . .    :smile:

Me? Long ago.

• Member Contributer

If your bike has the center stand then there is no issue to do this. Place bike on stand, remove dust caps both sides, loosen the nut on right side. Now place a thin piece of wood under the rear tyre, so there is NO clearance, i.e. it just squeezes in. Use a long rod slightly smaller diameter than the swingarm bolt to push out the bolt & it will keep all parts in the correct place. The swingarm does NOT pivot on this bolt, the swingarm bearings locate on it. Turn the bolt around, put it in from the right side & push out your temporary rod, replace left peg hanger & add the nut. Make sure you locate the peg hanger locators on the stubs they use to stop them swiveling !  Job jobbed 🙂

• Member Contributer
On 6/24/2018 at 9:42 PM, mello dude said:

btw - JZH  - on the flip the bolt around - great idea!!

It is a great idea, but not mine.  Read it on a forum--possibly this one!

Interestingly, given that this bike's swing arm doesn't mount to the frame directly, if you remove the LHS footpeg mount you can actually fit an endless chain very easily--so, no more master links.

However, replacement of swing arm bearings and seals (like I believe MaxSwell intends) would require the removal of the swing arm anyway.  Swing arm bearing replacement isn't difficult, but the "Honda way" calls for some special tools.  You can do it "ghetto stylee" with some less special tools, but you have to be up for this kind of job...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Mohawk said:

If your bike has the center stand then there is no issue to do this. Place bike on stand, remove dust caps both sides, loosen the nut on right side. Now place a thin piece of wood under the rear tyre, so there is NO clearance, i.e. it just squeezes in. Use a long rod slightly smaller diameter than the swingarm bolt to push out the bolt & it will keep all parts in the correct place. The swingarm does NOT pivot on this bolt, the swingarm bearings locate on it. Turn the bolt around, put it in from the right side & push out your temporary rod, replace left peg hanger & add the nut. Make sure you locate the peg hanger locators on the stubs they use to stop them swiveling !  Job jobbed 🙂

That is a set of instructions that I can follow. I did initially put a couple of boards under the back tire but they were "stuffed" under with a hammer. So there was upward pressure on the swingarm.

I can even practice this on my wrecked machine.

When I was forcing the bolt back into position I felt the swingarm moving laterally. This looseness freaked me out (at first). Looking at the service manual made it look like an impossible task for me.

I just decided over the last 12 hours to live with it and work on it nearer to the end of the season. So now I'm more inspired to try it myself. The prospect of me paying $600 plus for dealer service would seriously impact my budget.

So I want to thank all respondents for your information and encouragement. Just a small part of what makes this board feel like a supportive family. 

Y'all Rock. Thanks again.  

Archived