How does one remove the left pivot nut on a 2001 VFR800fi

MaxSwell

• Member Contributer

I need to replace the

(It is part number 14 in the fiche.)

HOLDER, L. MAIN STEP *NH295M* (SPARKLING SILVER METALLIC)

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2001/vfr800fi-a-interceptor/

on my 2001 VFR. It is bent due to a driveway tip over and places my foot on the peg an an uncomfortable angle.

I have a spare on a my 2nd deer-crash machine that I'm trying to remove. While trying to remove the left pivot nut, it merely spins the shaft. Putting a wrench on the right-side nut just unscrews the right-side nut from the shaft. The nut takes a 22 mm socket. The right-side nut is the only thing on the shaft; the right side main step has been removed and "recycled".  

Does anyone have a good solution to this issue? I do not like the idea of putting a clamp on the splined right side shaft. Looking to avoid that. Perhaps it is the only solution. But I'd like other ideas. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure I get your problem. 

The right side is a nut, the left is a bolt, you need to remove the pivot bolt (through swing arm) to swap steps. 

• Member Contributer

I do not know what pivots on this shaft. I am trying to remove the left side NUT. It is firmly on the shaft. The shaft runs through to the other side, on which there is another, similar, NUT. Loosening the left side nut, stuck on the shaft, does not unscrew the nut from the shaft. It is so firmly on the shaft it merely spins the shaft. On the right side of the shaft the right side nut is loose on the shaft. Trying to immobilize the shaft so the left side nut backs off of the shaft is my goal.

It appears the only way to immobilize the shaft is to clamp something to the right side of the shaft. I'm hoping there is another solution. The shop manual specifies 64 lb/ft of torque. That is what holds the left nut so firmly to the pivot shaft.  

• Member Contributer

If this is the nut/bolt that lives under Part # 25, the Pivot Cap, then the nut is on the right side and the

bolt head is on the left side. Take the nut off, the the shaft should drive/push out to the left.

And yes, that shaft is the swingarm pivot shaft, so you'll need to support the bike/swingarm if you

pull the shaft. Not a simple pull the part and replace type of job. 🙂

At least that is the way my '99 is assembled.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I do not know what pivots on this shaft. I am trying to remove the left side NUT. It is firmly on the shaft. The shaft runs through to the other side, on which there is another, similar, NUT. Loosening the left side nut, stuck on the shaft, does not unscrew the nut from the shaft. It is so firmly on the shaft it merely spins the shaft. On the right side of the shaft the right side nut is loose on the shaft. Trying to immobilize the shaft so the left side nut backs off of the shaft is my goal.

It appears the only way to immobilize the shaft is to clamp something to the right side of the shaft. I'm hoping there is another solution. The shop manual specifies 64 lb/ft of torque. That is what holds the left nut so firmly to the pivot shaft.  

Max - I am not exactly sure what you are looking at, but look at the fische on the swingarm assembly. I may be wrong but I think you may be trying to break a "nut" that isnt there. Its a long pivot bolt that goes though the entire swingarm. 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2001/vfr800fi-a-interceptor/swingarm

• Member Contributer

I think mello dude kind of beat me to it - if it's referencing #6 in the diagram it appears to be a bolt and nut set up.  If you do end up removing the swingarm pivot bolt, It might be a good idea to remove the wheel and triangle shock attachment so you have some wiggle room with it.  Just based on my experience removing only the shock, it sounds like an extra set of hands might come in handy. 

Swingarm.JPG

If you do have to hold the bolt, I've had good luck with a strap wrench - it can hold a surprising amount of torque and is non-marring.

Strap wrench.JPG

• Member Contributer

Ha! I see the light! Thanks everyone, that is the situation.

So putting it on the center stand and putting a prop under the swingarm should allow it to slide out and, most hopefully, slid right back in. Right. 

Any cautions on supporting the swingarm? Is it prone to moving around? I'll check it out in the daylight.

• Member Contributer

You might try putting a jack under the swingarm where the shaft goes through, and gradually lift

while you spin the shaft. When you feel the shaft really get loose, stop the jack at that point. If it

never gets loose, it may move when you drive the shaft out and may be harder to put back in. This

is the way I would do it since I've never had one of these apart.

Another way might be to use a shaft of the same diameter, or very close, to push the old shaft out

and then when you're done, push the replacement shaft out with the old pivot shaft.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

You might try putting a jack under the swingarm where the shaft goes through, and gradually lift

while you spin the shaft. When you feel the shaft really get loose, stop the jack at that point. If it

never gets loose, it may move when you drive the shaft out and may be harder to put back in. This

is the way I would do it since I've never had one of these apart.

Another way might be to use a shaft of the same diameter, or very close, to push the old shaft out

and then when you're done, push the replacement shaft out with the old pivot shaft.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks FJ. Good suggestions. I really like the idea of a similar shaft to "push" the pivot shaft through. 

After "sleeping on" this thread, I have to say I'm a little embarrassed about how simple the solution was and why I did not think of that in the first place. 

Now I'm wondering if this could be the first sign of senility. With all the concussions I've had, I have noticed a decline in my cognition. I have dropped out of my card-playing for money groups (poker, bridge) due to a lack of success, so this appears to be another brick in the wall. So I'll be particularly attuned to my riding behavior from now on. (Fingers crossed and eyes wide open.)    

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, MaxSwell said:

Now I'm wondering if this could be the first sign of senility. With all the concussions I've had, I have noticed a decline in my cognition.

Actually, people that are senile have no awareness of it - they think they're still on top of everything.  So the fact that you're self aware tells me that you have nothing to worry about.  Besides, you have some of the most lucid posts I see on the forum!   Now if you head for Custer in a couple of weeks and end up in Florida I'll begin to worry . . . :laugh:

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

Actually, people that are senile have no awareness of it - they think they're still on top of everything.  So the fact that you're self aware tells me that you have nothing to worry about.  Besides, you have some of the most lucid posts I see on the forum!  

Thanks for your support fellow Swell brother.

"Now if you head for Custer in a couple of weeks and end up in Florida I'll begin to worry" . . . :laugh:

It's not like it hasn't happened before. I have found my self in places I wondered why I came there in the first place. Some peeps call it being lost; others say they are just seeking alternative routes and random destinations. That works for me. :wacko:

• Member Contributer

The Swell Brothers - lol! 🤣  - 

--- I have noticed as the years roll occasionally the phenom of  CRS. (damn) - Your in a spot and you know you know it, but cant recall.

Its fun once in a while while talking to someone to claim I have CRS and see if they laugh or give me the deer in the headlights look. Baby boomers instantly laugh, millennials are the deers. 😎 -  

• Member Contributer

Yes, as above.   

Also, if you flip the shaft around when you put it back (so the nut is on the LHS) you can easily remove the LHS footpeg mount when doing chain swaps...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 6/23/2018 at 2:02 PM, mello dude said:

The Swell Brothers - lol! 🤣  - 

--- I have noticed as the years roll occasionally the phenom of  CRS. (damn) - Your in a spot and you know you know it, but cant recall.

Its fun once in a while while talking to someone to claim I have CRS and see if they laugh or give me the deer in the headlights look. Baby boomers instantly laugh, millennials are the deers. 😎 -  

So True! 

10 hours ago, JZH said:

Yes, as above.   

Also, if you flip the shaft around when you put it back (so the nut is on the LHS) you can easily remove the LHS footpeg mount when doing chain swaps...

Ciao,

Brilliant!

Non nut.JPG

Here is the non-nut nut that this nut was trying to unscrew. Guess which one got screwed!

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Here is the non-nut nut that this nut was trying to unscrew. Guess which one got screwed!

Ha ha ha ha - :laughing6-hehe:

btw - JZH  - on the flip the bolt around - great idea!!

• Member Contributer

Well, I finally got the @$# thing off. The swingarm did move so putting the bolt back in was "complicated". I consulted the manual (RTFM guilty) about putting it back together. It looks like way too much work for me to anticipate the installation of the step on the receiving lump. Bearing and seals and better hands than mine (oh my)!  So I plan to have Honda Town to the work. (This has happened to me with my first VFR; I ordered the part and they installed it back in '07). 

Hopefully they'll be able to get it done before D-Day July 10 (SumSum). If not, it can still be ridden.

So, i need to do this my my 2000 model to install sebs adapters and china's rearsets, but i have removed the centre stand.

Ideas?

Trolley jacks under the engine?

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, JZH said:

Yes, as above.   

Ciao,

I wonder why the h&ll Honda didn't think of that?   :comp13:

• Member Contributer
53 minutes ago, keef said:

So, i need to do this my my 2000 model to install sebs adapters and china's rearsets, but i have removed the centre stand.

Ideas?

Trolley jacks under the engine?

If you have or can construct a sturdy overhead support, possibly use ratchet straps to hold up the frame / subframe? 

I am in a townhouse/apartment complex, so have some rigid AC duct strapped to the slab above. I've used that to drop the front end a bit on my MT09 before.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Well, I finally got the @$# thing off. The swingarm did move so putting the bolt back in was "complicated". I consulted the manual (RTFM guilty) about putting it back together. It looks like way too much work for me to anticipate the installation of the step on the receiving lump. Bearing and seals and better hands than mine (oh my)!  So I plan to have Honda Town to the work. (This has happened to me with my first VFR; I ordered the part and they installed it back in '07). 

Hopefully they'll be able to get it done before D-Day July 10 (SumSum). If not, it can still be ridden.

I think you can do it! 

• Member Contributer

I called Honda Town today and, because the swingarm needs to be removed, bearings and seals get involved. At ~58,000 miles, given what I've been reading about bearing maintenance, new bearings would be a good idea at this time. 

The owner checked the time for the job, four hours, so I've leaving it for them. It would probably take me three times that long to do it myself and end up with half the confidence in the repair.  They'll order the bearings and seals in advance, I'll bring it in on Monday the 2nd and get it back on Thursday the 5th. Cutting it close because I plan to leave on the 7th. But it will give a quite a confidence boost to get it done correctly. My hands just do not work as good as they use to especially in tight spaces so it's not a hard decision.

Thanks for all the support (and the great jokes).

MaxSwell 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, KevCarver said:

I think you can do it! 

Thanks for your support Kev, I wish I had your confidence. Your family seems to be mechanically gifted from what I've seen and read. I'd be on Mechanics Cloud Nine with those skills. 

A college professor of Power and Auto Mechanics at a local teachers college explained that if one works on one's vehicle enough, one becomes an expert on that vehicle. So while I may have been semi-expert on fifths, my cognitive ability has diminished with old age. I partly blame repeated concussions but cannot deny the obvious. Confusion, forgetfulness, slow thinking, etc become hard to ignore. Somethings are better left at this stage to the real experts. 

• Member Contributer

I'm not going to try to talk you into it because you need the confidence to ride it long distance, but it's pretty simple to raise it into place with a jack or lever of some sort and slide the bolt back in. No need for new bearings just because the swing arm was removed. But again, totally up to you. I'm actually planning a post later on to detail the myriad of (simple and stupid) mistakes I've made on my bike this month alone. It's been pretty bad, so I can empathize with you on not wanting to get in over your head. 

Archived