New(er) bike question for the group

afpierce489

Question for the group.  I currently have a 1993 750 FP, but I'm looking at getting a new(er) bike.  I have about $8k saved up right now.  If you had this money right now, which gen VFR would you buy and why?

• Member Contributer

I believe new 8gen's are going cheap in the US, go for the Deluxe version. The 8gen will also be the last of the VFR's:sad: That's what I'd be chasing.

My current 8gen is a great bike and the best of the 4 VFR's I've had. Gone are the electrical issues had with the 6th gen, great fuel economy, lighter weight, new instrumentation, better brakes, ABS, Traction Control, Heated grips, self cancelling indicators, LED headlights, improved handling, seat height has two positions, narrower front look as side radiators are now at the front, need I say any more!

Good Luck.

• Member Contributer

Keep the 93 and buy another,

that 8th Gen sounds good to me, although I have a 6th Gen and have grown pretty fond of it after moving from a Guzzi Breva 1100.

I was planning on keeping the 93.  It rides well and I've done a pretty good job keeping it up, but there seems to me more and more maintenance and upkeep as the years go on.  I was thinking of getting a newer bike and riding that mostly, and using the 93 as my project bike to fix up and either keep to have my son learn to ride (he's 11 now, so I have time), or possibly sell later, haven't decided.  In the northeast there isn't very many 8th gens for sale in my price range.  I have found a couple of 2014's in the $8k range.  I've found a lot of 2010's, a couple of 06's and then just individual bikes anywhere from 2002 to 2007.  There looks like a decent 06 with hard bags and a tail bag in RI that I've had my eye on, but still deciding.

Any others out there that anyone recommends?

• Member Contributer

I'd recommend checking out fifth gens (1998 - 2001) for many reasons. Aerodynamic, gear-driven cams, smooth acceleration from 3500 - 11,000 rpm, priced ~ $2500 - $3500 for a good condition one. My first fifth was going strong at 105,000 miles when it was KIA'd by a deer. An oil sample evaluation showed below average for engine condition. No motor issues. I've put around 200,000 miles on a series of them and still cannot get enough of riding it.   

Archived