VFR 750 F - Radiator Upgrades (RC30\RC45 sytle)

FlyingToaster

Question

Hi,

I'm slowly rebuilding my 95 VFR 750. While upgrading suspension and doing other mods that are documented here and tried on this forums.  I taught about if anyone has done an upgrade on the cooling system. Just like the RC30 ,NC30 and RC45 have dual radiators in front:

image.png.ee7175b0787a7066d9b32f8814cbeab8.png

Can you do the same on the VFR 750 without causing cooling problems? Will it cool it to much in the winter and cause bad perfomance?

I see cheap NC30 bottom radiators on ebay, and i'm tempting to buy one like this: Cooling-Radiator-Cooler-For-Honda-VFR400-NC30

5 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

You can have too little cooling surface in a radiator, but not too much, so long as your thermostat is working properly. The job of the thermostat is to restrict coolant flow to the radiator(s) to keep the temperature of the fluid in the engine up to the preset level normally around 80C. Once the fluid exceeds that level the thermostat opens a little allowing coolant to flow to/from the radiator and the cooled coolant brings the temperature back down. 

• Member Contributer

In Albuquerque it's routine to ride in summer temps in the high 90s to low 100s F. On my 97 the fan only comes on in stop and go traffic and once you can get moving it shuts right off and the temp comes right back down. I can't imagine you'd need anymore cooling than what the stock system can do. If anything, a oil cooler with another row or two would probably be time better spent (and easier to do).

• Member Contributer
On 6/21/2018 at 6:42 PM, FlyingToaster said:

Can you do the same on the VFR 750 without causing cooling problems? Will it cool it to much in the winter and cause bad perfomance?

I see cheap NC30 bottom radiators on ebay, and i'm tempting to buy one like this: Cooling-Radiator-Cooler-For-Honda-VFR400-NC30

The exhaust downpipes may be in the way, but I've thought the same thing myself...  The vee piece would probably have to be scrapped or cut out, too.  

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Picture I took at bike show. Looks like it would take a lot of modification.

20180519_112322.jpg

20180519_112223.jpg

Archived