New Wheels for the VF750F Rain Bike

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer

So I stole the tires I originally had installed on this bike for another all-weather machine, 1986 VFR750F.  When I did that I also stole the rebuilt calipers for my wife's bike (1985 CB400T Super Hawk III).  I had some 18/16 Avon take-offs from a parts bike I wanted to use up, so I thought I would do up a set of wheels.  So I cleaned up an extra VF1000R Comstar and painted a 86 VFR750F rear wheel.

[IMG]

The VFR rear wheel is 3.5" vs 3.0" for the VF. Not usually a fan of non-matching wheels but I really wanted to use the wider rim and thought I might as well throw a Comstar on there. So the coolest looking 16" and the widest 18". Used a VF500F front rotor (solid to better match the front rotors) on the rear and it will get a 86 VFR rear caliper and bracket to match the disk diameter.

Wheels mounted and balanced and rebuilt front and rear calipers bled.  I eliminated the air crossover tube on this bike too (thread here), allowing me to lower the front about 15mm for starters.

[IMG]

I am going to paint an extra lower chin cowl I have in blue when I run this tail section. I found a really close match, if not perfect.

[IMG]

In any case, it will be close enough for something so close to the ground.

Archived