• Member Contributer

Oh yeah, that's my youth there. LOL I had a Super 90 for a couple years before I went into the Army. Good fun, and

the 305 Scramble with open pipes is still one of the best sounding bikes ever. IMO anyway. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I saw those. To be honest I thought they were pretty lame when they came around the first time. Especially

the SuperCub, the Trail 90 wasn't too bad, and was almost like a real motorcycle made small.

• Member Contributer

Honda's marketing in the day was brilliant, creating an idealized image of what life was like for young people that could be found on their SuperCub.  I thought I read once that the S.C. is the most produced vehicle ever - even more than the VW Beetle.   The little 90 cc mill is the Energizer Bunny - just keeps going and going.  I recall a thread on ADVRider where a couple rode their S.C.'s to Alaska and in a number of other countries around the world - just amazing.   I suppose that when my sportbike days are over and my recreation is confined to RV parks that I'll want a Super Cub to putt around on.  For that it's the right tool for the job.  For whatever reason, they have a certain attraction that's hard to explain. 

• Member Contributer

Yes, the SuperCub has been produced in the multi-millions, and most of those go to third world countries where

they need cheap transportation: cheap to buy, cheap to operate. But I just don't like mopeds as serious bikes. Ick.

It isn't a Honda, but my '68 Yamaha is an absolute hoot to ride.   You pull into any gathering of people on that Yamaha and you'll quickly have a crowd gathered around.   I can't even begin to describe how much fun it is.  100cc and 9.2 hp of pure FUN !!!

1968_Yamaha_(1).JPG

The YL2C is a dual sprocket motorcycle that was aimed at the enduro/trail-riding crowd of the sixties.   The chain is currently installed on the street sprocket.   When you get to the trails you disconnect the master link.    Rotate and pull out the dished, large sprocket on bolts that fit into keyed holes on the large sprocket, and it locks in place.   Retrieve a section of chain from the tool kit, install it onto the chain and place the chain over the large sprocket.

All of a sudden you can climb a telephone pole on 9.5 hp, but your top speed is about 12 mph.

Reverse when you leave the trails and ride home at something approaching 60 mph on a good day.  But, plan way ahead, because the brakes are built for the 12 mph large sprocket.  (cool side note, it shifts racer pattern.)

9 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Only if he puts a chain on it first. LOL

Sorry to disappoint.

DSCN0055.JPG

• Member Contributer

Well, Yamaha was known for doing things their own way. One of the dirt bike Honda's had a

dual range transmission that you could use.

2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Well, Yamaha was known for doing things their own way. One of the dirt bike Honda's had a

dual range transmission that you could use.

Is the final drive chain not part of the transmission?    Or, did you mean a dual range gear box?

• Member Contributer

Suzuki also made some dual range transmission bikes in the early '70's - TC 90 and TC 125.  Both were 4 speed boxes with a lever actuated low range, much like shifting a 4x4's transfer case.  

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/TC/TC125-brochures/1972_TC125J_sales1_1000.jpg

• Member Contributer

My parents were dead set against me buying a motorcycle but they were OK with me buying a Honda...

265319429_72248cf6bc_o.jpg

1966RedS90_zps7xbguycf.jpg

2545714215_eebd92d46c.jpg
Same spot 43 years later...

2544425302_138b535bf7.jpg

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

Is the final drive chain not part of the transmission?    Or, did you mean a dual range gear box?

Yeah, a dual range gear box. Had a separate little lever to change which set of gears you used.

Yah growing up my dad had a trail 90 with the hi low transmission, boy that thing would climb anything I threw at it, two up even.
Sure loved the sound of my SL100 with its chrome straight pipe, neighbors not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived