Front rotor damaged

shafay212

Hi all,

So I recently bent the front right rotor of my 2015 vfr800 in Canada. Several dealers say its 700 CAD for one rotor plus 100 CAD for labor at least and suggest changing both sides with costs up to 1700 with taxes. I decided to save that and do it myself (I'm new to all this too) and have been searching for the past 3 weeks.

I found only one rotor available in Canada. The Bike Master 972127 rotor (link below) will fit the 2014-2015 vfr800 dlx with abs but after receiving it, it doesnt have the screw holes for the pulsar ring (so assuming it's for the non-abs model).

Link: https://bikemaster.com/brake-rotor-front-hon-bm-5455.html

Probably going to return it but a bit stuck since I am all out of options now. Has anyone replaced their front rotors yet? If so, which ones did you get? Are their any other compatible models (cbr1000) rotors?

I found a topic here with a list of interchangeable rotors but it wasn't for the 8th gen.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

This is regarded as heresy in some parts, but have you considered straightening the bent disc? In my own experience it is normally the alloy carrier that gets knocked out of true, not the steel disc (which stays perfectly flat, it's a tough steel part after all). The alloy is pretty easy to bend, and I suspect in my case a little rough handling while the wheel was off the bike for a new tyre was enough. You can gently pry on the alloy carrier to get the disc back to true. I mounted a dial indicator gauge off the fork leg to measure the high and low spots to figure out where I needed to do the tweaking. Nothing has exploded or otherwise caused disaster in over 20,000km, and I got rid of all but the merest trace of shudder (previously it was bad enough to shake a bulb loose). YMMV and all that.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8-brakes-warped-rotor-fix/&tab=comments#comment-9

• Member Contributer

Just remove old disc, bolt to new disc in at least 3 bolt holes, ensure its lined up properly then drill the holes for the ABS sensor ring in the carrier, they are only alloy so easy to drill, use a new or known sharp drill bit. Unbolt old disc & bolt to the wheel. the actual alignment is not critical, just the surface clearance between sensor & ring.

Have fun.

PS I have done this for discs that had the wrong bolt spacing, works fine 🙂

• Member Contributer

There is a pair on ebay from a '14 with a claimed 2,700 miles for $230 US.  Beats the heck out of $700 for just one.  Then use Mowhawk's procedure to mount the ABS ring and you're in business. 

• Member Contributer

There's some Brembo discs from Webike https://japan.webike.net/ps/#!search&p.ref=product-search-es&p.rows=24&p.m=6581&p.c=1012&p.gp=0

Bikebandit has oem for $325 usd. $430 cad. Idk if they ship to Canada though..? 
They do ship to Canada for an extra $30.
This is regarded as heresy in some parts, but have you considered straightening the bent disc? In my own experience it is normally the alloy carrier that gets knocked out of true, not the steel disc (which stays perfectly flat, it's a tough steel part after all). The alloy is pretty easy to bend, and I suspect in my case a little rough handling while the wheel was off the bike for a new tyre was enough. You can gently pry on the alloy carrier to get the disc back to true. I mounted a dial indicator gauge off the fork leg to measure the high and low spots to figure out where I needed to do the tweaking. Nothing has exploded or otherwise caused disaster in over 20,000km, and I got rid of all but the merest trace of shudder (previously it was bad enough to shake a bulb loose). YMMV and all that.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8-brakes-warped-rotor-fix/&tab=comments#comment-9
So I tried this and I kinda worked. Reduced it slightly. Might need to work on it some more.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Ebay has some gently sets of disks off an 8th gen for around 200 bucks if you can't get them straight enough to not be risky to run.

"vfr 800 2014 front rotors"
cycle reapers put theirs on sale.

Archived