Livening up my '99

WideLoad

I really think the look of the 5th gen is very muted and boring, so I thought I would add a few touches to my 99.

Still a lot to do (more white on the tail section, lots of sanding / buffing, then some white wheels), but for $86 and 4 beers I am happy so far.

June 16, 2018.jpg

June 17, 2018.jpg

• Member Contributer

White wheels do look really nice, but man are they a pain to keep looking good. I had one on the rear

of my FJ1200 and it looked great when clean but it seemed like it always needed cleaning.

Now red on the other hand... :beer:

HaLe1Ok.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't particularly care for the white tailsection, it doesn't meld with anything else since there's no white

anywhere else on the bike, maybe white wheels would help, but to me it just stops the flow of the bike.

• Member Contributer

I agree with FJ12, completely breaks the flow of the machine.

• Member Contributer

To each their own.  I might add though that if I were doing custom paint / graphics on a bike, I would likely get a set of Chinese fairings for it and paint those.  5th gen owners that have bought them seem to think that the red is a good match for the factory color.  That way it's easily taken back to stock.  Selling a bike with custom paint is often not easy as tastes can vary widely. 

• Member Contributer

Too true, someone looking at a custom painted bike, especially a sport type bike, immediately wonders what

that new paint covers up, and why it was repainted. It just depends on whether resale value is important to you.

1 hour ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Too true, someone looking at a custom painted bike, especially a sport type bike, immediately wonders what

that new paint covers up, and why it was repainted. It just depends on whether resale value is important to you.

LOL never selling this one so not too worried about it

13 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I agree with FJ12, completely breaks the flow of the machine.

I don't disagree, but with the white wheels it will tie in much better.

After staring at it for a few days though, I am really liking just the contrast between the red and black. I will keep it as is for a while and see if I will actually do the wheels or not. If not, the white on the tail will disappear.

• Member Contributer
31 minutes ago, WideLoad said:

I don't disagree, but with the white wheels it will tie in much better.

After staring at it for a few days though, I am really liking just the contrast between the red and black. I will keep it as is for a while and see if I will actually do the wheels or not. If not, the white on the tail will disappear.

As an option in the future you could play around with some ideas using adhesive graphics as well, just partner up with a local sign maker and see what they can print out for you.  That way if you aren't committed or convinced you just have to peel off the graphics.  e.g. the white tail section, maybe do a matching front 'number plate' on the cowl around the headlights.

Archived