Diagnostic code 88

mobur

Hi, my MIL light reads 8 long and 8 short flashes when I performed a current fault readout (aka jumped the brown and green wires on the DLC).

I can't find this code in the manual, does anyone know what it means?

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Are you having any bike issues? A code of 88 doesn't seem right. I would go through the erase DTC codes process, run the bike and recheck again for stored codes.

Yeah I though the same, but erasing everything and starting again was exactly what I did as my first step 😂

I'm suspecting 88 is undocumented and can only be interpreted by the MCS or whatever they call their diagnostics computer that you attach to the bike?

Bike issues indeed! I'm reading about 4 mega ohms on the brown wire at the grey ECM connector and earth. Same wire at pin 14 on the ABS shows no continuity

• Member Contributer
On 17 June 2018 at 10:08 PM, mobur said:

Bike issues indeed! I'm reading about 4 mega ohms on the brown wire at the grey ECM connector and earth. Same wire at pin 14 on the ABS shows no continuity

What bike problems are you having? Are you having issues with ABS light? Are you seeing the MIL light on while riding?

Are you measuring with the ECU and ABS plugs pulled or still connected?

Do you having continuity on the Brown wire from the DLC connector to B19 on the ECU and through to 14 on the ABS.?

Have you also tried a battery disconnect for say 15 minutes?

Need some more specifics about your bike issues.!!!!

Thanks Grum 🙂

The MIL light comes on when I switch on the bike, and stays lit at all times. ABS & TC go out when I start riding, and all other dash functions are normal. Service manual suggests then that this is potentially a fault in the MIL circuit or the ECU - which is why I was wondering about that code 88.. 😕

I have continuity on the brown wire between DLC, ABS & ECU. IIRC I tested between all three. At the ABS side I do not read any continuity to ground, but at the grey ECU connector i have 4MOhms to ground. This seems rather strange 😕 I had the ABS disconnected when I measured.

Yeah, actually I had the battery out for maybe 1 hour xD

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mobur said:

Thanks Grum 🙂

The MIL light comes on when I switch on the bike, and stays lit at all times. ABS & TC go out when I start riding, and all other dash functions are normal. Service manual suggests then that this is potentially a fault in the MIL circuit or the ECU - which is why I was wondering about that code 88.. 😕

I have continuity on the brown wire between DLC, ABS & ECU. IIRC I tested between all three. At the ABS side I do not read any continuity to ground, but at the grey ECU connector i have 4MOhms to ground. This seems rather strange 😕 I had the ABS disconnected when I measured.

Yeah, actually I had the battery out for maybe 1 hour xD

Sevice manual states if the MIL is ON all the time, that unless there is a short to ground with the Brown wire then the ECU is faulty. Appears this is your situation.

What is completly nonsensical is that you have confirmed that the Brown wire has zero ohms (continuity) resistance from the DLC to the ECU and ABS, which is exactly what you should have, HOWEVER you are saying that ONLY at the ECU B19 Brown wire point are you getting 4meg ohms to ground and the other two points ABS and DLC you get infinity to ground!!!! All three points are, and should be exactly the same points, you must get the same reading to ground!!

Are you sure when you measured the ECU your fingers were not touching the meter probes introducing body resistance?

The MCS rig would also pick up diagnostic data from the O/W wire at the DLC which includes the R/R, ABS and ECU. Perhaps more info about code 88 could be extracted from the MCS system. Might be worth a talk to you local Honda dealership about this.

Do you know anyone with an 8gen you might be able to swap ECU's with? Sorry mate my bike is 17,000 kilometers away!!:wacko: 

Hey Grum, as always thanks for the reply 😉

On 6/19/2018 at 12:20 PM, Grum said:

Sevice manual states if the MIL is ON all the time, that unless there is a short to ground with the Brown wire then the ECU is faulty. Appears this is your situation.

Yea so this is the point when I decided to put a post on this forum - kind of hoping to get a bit more information on what might be up with my ECU and if its possible to reflash it as a fix 😉

Are you sure when you measured the ECU your fingers were not touching the meter probes introducing body resistance?

Legitimately possible that this is the case.

The MCS rig would also pick up diagnostic data from the O/W wire at the DLC which includes the R/R, ABS and ECU. Perhaps more info about code 88 could be extracted from the MCS system. Might be worth a talk to you local Honda dealership about this. 

Do you know anyone with an 8gen you might be able to swap ECU's with? Sorry mate my bike is 17,000 kilometers away!!:wacko:  

Unfortunately no one near me 😢 But yeah I'll have to have a chat with some dealerships see if they will be willing to plug in a diagnostics system and tell me more... maybe even try the ECU swap thing for me 😕

Ultimately I got this bike for cheap as its a salvage bike (been in an accident). So buying a new ECU and getting all the HISS rekeying is a bit out of the question for me given the value of the bike itself vs a new ECU. So what I'm left with is seeing if I can hack some solution together 😉 😂 😭 On the upside I'm looking for a hobby project atm and figuring out what I can gleam from the DCS myself is interesting. Finding the ECU->USB connector that I saw some pictures of, and maybe getting that ecu tune software (or whatever the floss one is called) to talk to it, is even more interesting.

• Member Contributer

Wasn't aware your bike was a salvage accident bike!!! So it is rideable as you've stated all is normal with ABS and TCS lights go out once moving, but you are left with the MIL on all the time.

Other than having Honda run their MCS over the ECU or swapping the ECU. Perhaps the accident has done some wiring damage. Have a close look for wiring damage, make sure all electrical connectors are properly seated including the two ECU plugs, make sure all grounds and power to the ECU are good. Also verify your charging system is working properly 14.5v at the battery with engine running.

Perhaps there might be something odd within the Instrument Panel as the MIL is part of the serial data sent from the ECU. If there is no operational issue with the bike, guess it's not impossible the MIL issue could be in the panel itself. Running out of ideas!:comp13:

Keep us updated with how you get on.

Good Luck.

Archived