Cheaper gear indicator option for the VFR800

yogisays09

Here is the link for the gear indicator for the 5th Gen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Gear-Indicato-For-Honda-Hornet-CB400-CB600F-CB650F-CB500X-VFR800-SHADOW-750-Ecu-Plug-Mount-Speed/3674012_32885649671.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.35.1f3c3db2QjUMlw

Looks like replica of the Healtech X Type , so the wiring would be the same , the male female plugs in tho speedo sensor which is on the sprocket cover. and the single wire green one taken signal from the ECM RPM wire. which is A18 yellow wire with green trace.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Any thoughts on whether this will work with a SpeedoDRD inline? (If I understand things correctly, these both plug into the same port... can they be piggy-backed?)

If so, any particular order they should be installed?

I am -1+2 geared so I don't want to give up the speedo correction, but a gear indicator thats plug and play would be a good addition IMHO

sdrd_back-500x500.jpg

On 8/12/2018 at 10:24 PM, rhoderage said:

Any thoughts on whether this will work with a SpeedoDRD inline? (If I understand things correctly, these both plug into the same port... can they be piggy-backed?)

If so, any particular order they should be installed?

I am -1+2 geared so I don't want to give up the speedo correction, but a gear indicator thats plug and play would be a good addition IMHO

sdrd_back-500x500.jpg

yes you can install both together, you will have to follow the Healtechs X type installation instructions.

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/docs/GPXT_UsersGuide_en.pdf

On 8/20/2018 at 12:59 AM, JAlves said:

Hi, I'm looking for something like this, where did you connect it?

Do you have the instructions?

Thank you

Download the healtech X type gear indicator manual. it has all the installation information need

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/docs/GPXT_UsersGuide_en.pdf

9 hours ago, rhoderage said:

I must be missing something as I saw no reference to piggybacking multiple devices in that manual

Yes looks like its not mentioned in there, but i fairly remember ready in some instructions where you can run both of them together.

to me this is how the wiring will need to be done , have a look the hand made diagram. Ignore the bad hand writing please.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-23 at 9.30.07 AM.jpeg

• Member Contributer

It should work either way, as gear indicator should NOT modify the stock signal & if after the speedo healer, it should not matter as that only changes the frequency to compensate for the the actual speed , but signal sent out should be the same regardless.

• Member Contributer

That is great info, thanks guys

Years ago i bought the super cheapy gear indicator where you mount magnets on the shift rod and it understands shifts from the movement... never got around to installing it as it seemed like it was going to be a pain to set up.

Plug and play is exactly what I want

The only issue I have that a gear indicator might address is "am I in 6th?" but I could see a gear indicator being useful on the track... or maybe you just want to know your RPM approaching a particular corner and that'd sort it out.  For the "am I in 6th?" question I am planning to better memorize RPM and speed in 6th and just correlate those before I try to shift into 7th gear.

When approaching a stoplight I like to play "what gear am I in?", counting downshifts while dead-sticking up to a stop.  Lately I have gotten that correct nearly all the time.  I say "I think I'm in 4th" and click 3-2-look for neutral.  If I find the appropriate neutral and get the win light then I done good.

Multiple bikes, lack of experience, and goofing with the gearing make the game a little more interesting.

*edit*  I think what I see in 6th, stock setup, is 

3500 - 50mph

4000 - 57-ish

4500 - 65-ish

I have a 6th gen front sprocket so my speedo is off a bit but that's what should be seen on a stock 5th gen bike IMO.

• Member Contributer
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:30 AM, yogisays09 said:

Here is the link for the gear indicator for the 5th Gen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Gear-Indicato-For-Honda-Hornet-CB400-CB600F-CB650F-CB500X-VFR800-SHADOW-750-Ecu-Plug-Mount-Speed/3674012_32885649671.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.35.1f3c3db2QjUMlw

Looks like replica of the Healtech X Type , so the wiring would be the same , the male female plugs in tho speedo sensor which is on the sprocket cover. and the single wire green one taken signal from the ECM RPM wire. which is A18 yellow wire with green trace.

This is great! Thanks for posting this up. Says it will work for a 4th Gen, so I'm going to give it a go.

Archived