New VFR1200 Owner Here

Hello all, I'm introducing myself as the new owner of a slightly loved 2010 VFR1200.  So far, I love this bike.  I've been on sportbikes for 22 years and it was time to get something a bit more comfy.  I look forward to reading and learning as much as I can from the smart people on this forum.

Currently, racing takes up 90% of my energy and focus.  I race with CMRA in the Ultra-Light Endurance series.  I have a team called FMD Racing based out of San Antonio.  We have 5 racers and 4 bikes all ridden by combat veterans and supported by Race for the Wounded and C&D Powersports.  If anyone has time, check out Race for the Wounded and FMD Racing and give us a like on facebook.  

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the site. :beer:

Any photos of the bike?

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the madhouse thunderrun53. That's a beautiful looking 2010 model. That colour combo is Great, certainly looks well cared for, hope it gives you many a mile of two wheeled pleasure.

Cheers.:beer:

• Member Contributer

Hope that hound by the rear wheel is not doing a leg lift! Hmm first one I have seen with the same sliders I have on mine. Bike looks well looked after. That stock seat could inflict severe agony if you go long distances on your new ride. Welcome.

Thank you Grum.  It was the color that caught my eye first. The previous owner did a pretty good job of keeping the bike nice, but he did a few modifications that I'm undoing now.  For some reason he blacked out the inside of the windscreen with paint.  I have no idea why someone would do that.

EhViffer, the dog back there, Odin, only pees on the tires of my truck.  That's his thing.  I rode about 415 miles yesterday and didn't have too much of an issue on my backside, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to something a bit more apt for two up riding.  I'm also looking forward to a good top box with a back rest for my wife.  It's been so hot here 95F/35C that it's hard to get comfortable at all.  Sweaty butt syndrome is the reality down here in Texas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 6/15/2018 at 8:10 AM, thunderrun53 said:

Thank you Grum.  It was the color that caught my eye first. The previous owner did a pretty good job of keeping the bike nice, but he did a few modifications that I'm undoing now.  For some reason he blacked out the inside of the windscreen with paint.  I have no idea why someone would do that.

EhViffer, the dog back there, Odin, only pees on the tires of my truck.  That's his thing.  I rode about 415 miles yesterday and didn't have too much of an issue on my backside, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to something a bit more apt for two up riding.  I'm also looking forward to a good top box with a back rest for my wife.  It's been so hot here 95F/35C that it's hard to get comfortable at all.  Sweaty butt syndrome is the reality down here in Texas.

Nice acquisition, thunderrun. Goes perfectly with your wide open spaces. +1 on the heat in TX. Are you lucky enough to be in the part of Texas that has humidity, too?

On 6/29/2018 at 1:54 AM, sfdownhill said:

Nice acquisition, thunderrun. Goes perfectly with your wide open spaces. +1 on the heat in TX. Are you lucky enough to be in the part of Texas that has humidity, too?

I am in South Texas, so yes, it gets pretty stuffy here on occasion.  

Thank you MaxSwell.

• Member Contributer
On 6/15/2018 at 7:10 AM, thunderrun53 said:

Welcome!

The previous owner may have blacked out the windscreen because the lower third is inaccessible, and gets water spots from washing the bike. I went with a dark tinted screen as I have the LSL bars, and almost always ride with a tank bag so there is no way I can get low enough to see through the stock screen anyway. 

As far as the Monkey-Butt syndrome goes, I wear cycling shorts under my riding gear, and if it's really hot, just powder up - Gold Bond seems to be the best, but any baby powder will work.

Enjoy the new ride, and thanks for helping out our veterans! 

On 7/5/2018 at 9:29 PM, RC1237V said:

Welcome!

The previous owner may have blacked out the windscreen because the lower third is inaccessible, and gets water spots from washing the bike. I went with a dark tinted screen as I have the LSL bars, and almost always ride with a tank bag so there is no way I can get low enough to see through the stock screen anyway. 

As far as the Monkey-Butt syndrome goes, I wear cycling shorts under my riding gear, and if it's really hot, just powder up - Gold Bond seems to be the best, but any baby powder will work.

Enjoy the new ride, and thanks for helping out our veterans! 

Either way, the new screen is installed.  By this stage, I've learned the value of cooling compression wear.  I'm not above skin tight underwear...as long as they are hidden under something else.

The Race for the Wounded guys are helping me out!  I just get to race under their banner this year.   I was very fortunate to have that organization get me back on bikes after getting blown up in Afghanistan in 2011.  They gave me the chance to be competitive and have fun again without getting in over my head.  I can't say enough good about them.

Archived