brake lights failed

anth85

ive had my vfr 2 days and the rear brake lights dont work. It's my first bike and I got a bit caught up in buying it that I didn't notice/check. Ive removed the two bulbs and both have dual filiments. Both are fine for normal running buy nothing for the brakes and the filliments look fine, i can reverse them round and they still only work on the headlights. The indicators work fine too. I can hear the switch on the front brake but nothing on the rear. Where should I be looking for diagnostics? I've looked after/fixed/serviced plenty of cars but this is my first bike. edit;  just removed the brake leaver and shorted the swith wires out didnt help

• Member Contributer

Keep an eye on them, 6th Gens are notorious for one of the brake lights failing. Lower one?

There's always at least one with only one brake light if there are more than one 6th Gen together.

11 hours ago, KevCarver said:

Keep an eye on them, 6th Gens are notorious for one of the brake lights failing. Lower one?

There's always at least one with only one brake light if there are more than one 6th Gen together.

it was both stuck on due to that rear brake switch. They both work as expected now. I will keep an eye on it though.

• Member Contributer

Same for me, took my 2004 for MOT and guy says the brake light dont work we both looked and it did not change when either lever or pedal were pressed. It was really sunny.

Found the fault when the MOT guy put a new bulb in and burnt his fingers taking old one out: as it was locked on!!

It was rear brake lever stuck on squirt of WD40 and it was happy days, took it home and stripped the lever and lubed it been good since.

Archived