• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

I’m not an armchair warrior bud, just looking out for my fellow rider. I’ve seen it in many cases where these poor QC levers break on people or don’t have correct machining or design. CRG/ASV obviously create a great product with good QC.  

Variable how is the bike coming along just before the cold sets in?

87186EE7-DA41-4F49-82D5-56DF4A1922D9.jpeg

The VFR is still waiting for me to install the Arrow exhaust.  I’ve been trying to ride whenever possible, both for fun and for utility. Besides that I’ve been working on replacing a clutch unit.  See photo below. 🤣

8 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

As of today (10/9/2018), ASV levers are still made in the USA, so no "also made in China" happening with their product...yet. Although I would suspect that there could be knock-offs being made and sold by unscrupulous resellers. Personally, I do not have an anti-Chinese product stance but can say the Chinese levers I had prior to getting authentic ASV levers, did suffer from color fading (right away) and the pivot holes getting out of round after a couples of years of use. Being that they are priced so cheaply, I guess one could toss them out an buy another set and still be below retail prices of authentic ASV or Pazzo levers. I prefer to just have a good quality product from the get go, so now have all three of my bikes with ASV levers installed.

Even without an anti-Chinese point of view, I really do not like the typical Pazzo knock-offs, or even authentic Pazzo levers for that matter. I prefer the ASV style adjustment knobs (Even OEM have them) vice the preset index adjustment the former have. I like the ability to be able to fine tune the lever position versus having a predetermined position. I also like the quality of the ASV levers, even after a couple of tip overs (all three bikes) and even a low side crash on two different bikes with ASV levers, the levers never broke, they came out a bit scratched, but they never broke. Since I have no experience with the Chinese levers in similar fore mentioned incidents, I cannot comment as to how they would fare in these similar instances.

In all fairness, I actually still have my Chinese levers, I keep them in a travel bag when I go touring, just in case me or someone else in my group suffers a crash and loses a lever, so far so good with my ASVs in the past two cases. To me, the knock-offs are still good enough to use but just not my cup of tea. I even have a set of Chinese made rear sets on my 5 Gen, so again, no worries about Chinese products, as long as the quality meets my expectations.

I really appreciate the ASV’s are ‘made in the USA’ but they are too Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare looking for me. 

It's the usual thing. Tonnes of internet experts in something they've never tried, let alone owned for any length of time.

We're talking about a bit of metal with a pivot. It's hardly rocket science.

• Haha 2

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, RC36 said:

It's the usual thing. Tonnes of internet experts in something they've never tried, let alone owned for any length of time.

We're talking about a bit of metal with a pivot. It's hardly rocket science.

No, it's not just that, but hey, put cheap Chinese parts on your bike and roll the dice. I don't roll the dice with safety. 

I absolutely laugh when people put their head in the sand and act like it can't happen to them.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

It may be a roll of the dice, but it's like rolling 150 dice and having every single one of them come up 7 in the same roll. Those are odds I can live

(HAR) with. Some things I'll take a chance on and Chinese levers are one of those things.

And people may have thought it over and consider your opinion not really valid.

• Member Contributer

I think if you try the Chinese levers, you may be pleasantly surprised.  I was a little leery about it at first, but that was almost a decade ago now.  I will say the fit and machining isn't always perfect, since I've installed a few sets on different bikes now and some have required a shim or a bushing to improve the up and down slop.

Hell, if you don't like them I bet you can unload them here for what you paid.  That and a set costs about 1/3 of the price of one ASV lever.  For that kind of savings, I'll do a little work to improve the fit.  Oh, and try to avoid anything with red anodizing since it fades to a hideous pink color.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

A lot of people used to think "made in Japan" meant junk...because at one time it was...nothing is static except death and taxes. Heck, even the Cleveland Browns won a game!

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Or just stick to OEM 😝.

+1 I've bent and unbent (carefully) my share of oem levers. For the most part Honda makes good stuff.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

I wish I had monetized this thread! Lol

Yup, the OEM are fine. I just hate the length. FWIW the adjustment range isn’t any better than a stocker, and due to where the master cylinders are located (close to end of grips due to clip on length) I can’t really move anything around to make the ‘two finger’ part of the shorty OMG THEY'RE CHINESE KNOCK OFFS levers work that great in my hand. But honestly guys they’re fine. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Perhaps it’s time to go with heli bars so you can get more space on the bar and move that inward?

I am considering how I can make it work. Helibars or LSL clip ons are what I’m considering. It’s a future project though. I still have the exhaust to mount. I’ve been bogged down parting out my SV. 

Plus I just spent a long weekend in Austin for the F1. 😁

6A2927B5-2DD1-4B48-A229-56DB9B460CAE.jpeg

3444A54A-E1E5-4B06-9A37-FD599DB461B6.jpeg

7B228DE6-E492-4551-8725-073DEC51FC22.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve wanted to attend but it’s just out of my price range. Im saving for an April trip to COTA. F1 looks so neat.

I saw Petit LeMans with the different race classes all on track at the same time last year and it’s definitely something I would like to regularly attend. 

That parking though... smh. It’s 2018 they need to hire a civil that knows the basics about natural parking designs. There are products to keep parking clean on grass, where cars don’t destroy what they drive over. 

• Member Contributer

Well, how apropos, this video showed up in my subscription notification. In all honesty, if you know what the short comings are and are either know what to look for to correct or are OK with the short comings i.e. lose/sloppy tolerances "cheap" levers usually have, then KYO.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Well I appreciate the video, but I think I’m good. Read my posts. I get it quality or OEM is recommended.  The CHINESIUMs were just to check out shortys on the VFR. I determined  I need a longer clip on to effectively place the controls for optimum fingering. Now I will move forward, over time, sourcing some higher quality levers and choosing longer clip ons. 

FYI I was in Scotland. In a car. 🤔

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Well I appreciate the video, but I think I’m good. Read my posts. I get it quality or OEM is recommended.  The CHINESIUMs were just to check out shortys on the VFR. I determined  I need a longer clip on to effectively place the controls for optimum fingering. Now I will move forward, over time, sourcing some higher quality levers and choosing longer clip ons. 

FYI I was in Scotland. In a car. 🤔

My intention of the post wasn't meant to speak to you directly, I was just sharing it for the info, as it shows some of the things that people have been saying about cheap levers. As I was saying, as long as you know the short comings and are willing to live with them or to correct them, cheap levers are an option, it's just caveat emptor IMO. Which goes for pretty much anything we put on our bikes or any protective gear we put on our bodies.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

My intention of the post wasn't meant to speak to you directly, I was just sharing it for the info, as it shows some of the things that people have been saying about cheap levers. As I was saying, as long as you know the short comings and are willing to live with them or to correct them, cheap levers are an option, it's just caveat emptor IMO. Which goes for pretty much anything we put on our bikes or any protective gear we put on our bodies.

All good, I didn’t take it as personally directed towards me. Just want to move the thread forward versus a continual discussion on levers.