• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

Me gusta. I love race parts and quick change bits. Very cool!

Thanks.  Planning on making a CF plate to dress it up. The original set comes with a hard anodized black aluminum plate that covers the exposed rubber bushings. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Urbanengineer said:

Ive never seen this can. I like their exhausts so I’m excited to hear it in action. 

Same here. Have never seen one, did not know Arrow had ever produced a system for the 6G. Even with shipping from Japan it was only just a bit more than a Delkevic set up. Extremely good condition, considering its at least 12 years old. Carbon hanger straps, Ti cans, SS pipes, beautiful welds and finish. Stoked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Wanted some shorty CRG RollAClick levers like I had on my last machine (SV650 with GSXR front end complete).  Contacted CRG and they have no fitment for a VFR.  Ok, so a quick search turned up various levers similar (i.e. knock off) for much less money.  There are Pazzo’s around $100 a set, and I’ve had Pazzo’s before and they’re fine, but I found these MZS’s for $25.60 for the pair on eBay.  Not my typical buy (the cheapest versus the most expensive) but for the price I thought I should give them a go until I figured out if there were any other options I haven’t seen or heard of yet. 

Quality is nice. Finish is nice. Only dislike is the laser engraved logo on the front edge of each lever. 

Only just fitted for now. Too much rain this week to get out and ride. Maybe tomorrow. 

1FAEED59-562C-4EA5-948D-4D82116D5365.jpeg

1108EA6A-548C-4727-A3F0-B3D04288C31B.jpeg

84096A17-54BD-4B3E-9EC3-499292424F09.jpeg

B1D8F8F9-1607-4DE1-8554-1EAFFE898982.jpeg

C65069E9-0CD4-4E92-ABFC-9D76BBB560BA.jpeg

90918B76-648A-4C6A-9A1E-5501449F1B0B.jpeg

Ironic that I knew about that spot and used the ‘clips’ molded into the undertray to route my relay harness wiring.  Never thought it was for the handle. Because it makes no sense to me to be stored separate from the tool kit.  Honda logic. 

I stored the extension handle in with the rest of the tool kit, which I customized by replacing some crappy OEM components and adding a few tools that come in handy. I also replaced the OEM bag with an aftermarket one as the Honda one always tears along the edges of the velcro strip, thus no longer being water tight nor reliable (i.e. small pieces can fall out). Then I put together a second bag with useful bits, like spare fairing clips and bolts, rubber thread wells, replacement nuts and bolts and such, to strap down on the other side. I also used a hard plastic jar (actually an empty flip top chewing gum receptacle, once I'd finished off the 200 "chewies" it contained previously) to store spare light bulbs separated by paper towel in the gap available on non ABS 6th gens, under the seat, inside the black plastic embellishment on the RHS, near where the rear brake fluid reservoir is.

Nerdy, I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
On 9/30/2018 at 9:12 AM, Urbanengineer said:

I’m really disappointed us ABS guys don’t get to use that storage area. So much room for stuff!

levers ... eh... OEM or quality or bust.  Your levers are your lifeline. 

Lol.  I’ve used aftermarket in MX, roadracing, street, and even MTB. Quality is the key - like I said I usually wouldn’t go for a $25 set, but I wouldn’t have used them if they felt they would disintegrate. FYI, many knock offs / counterfeit products are actually made in the same factories using the same tools and materials by the same workers. These MZS are a solid knock off of the Pazzo levers which I’ve used in the past no problem.  

I ran them on a 100 mile loop over the weekend no problems. They work just like levers should. But to each their own, hey I’m still alive using the Grip Puppies too!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Spiegler has a decent looking lever, made in Germany. I’ve used some of their other products before and found them to be high quality, good customer service. Thanks for tip on grips. I’m not happy with a foam grip slip on, but they’re still working and helps reduce the fatigue on the super slab. 

• Member Contributer
On 10/1/2018 at 8:57 AM, Urbanengineer said:

Yeah, I’d recommend FURY grips for your next replacement

Grips? Oury. Seriously love these.

http://www.ourygrips.com/oury-road-grip-with-flange/

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 2:12 PM, Urbanengineer said:

I’m really disappointed us ABS guys don’t get to use that storage area. So much room for stuff!

levers ... eh... OEM or quality or bust.  Your levers are your lifeline. 

Had Chinese levers on every bike I've ever owned (a lot) and never had an issue. It's a daft internet myth that they're anything other than completely fine for use.

3 hours ago, RC36 said:

Had Chinese levers on every bike I've ever owned (a lot) and never had an issue. It's a daft internet myth that they're anything other than completely fine for use.

Glad you’ve had good experience. Ever heard of quality control? Some people get some really bad examples 🙂. Some have that nice auto braking feature :lobby:.

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2018 at 12:14 PM, Urbanengineer said:

Glad you’ve had good experience. Ever heard of quality control? Some people get some really bad examples 🙂. Some have that nice auto braking feature :lobby:.

I'm sure plenty of people who've bought ASV or any other over inflated-also made-in-china-products have had issues of some variety. The whole "don't buy anything from China" argument is so long in the tooth, irrelevant and outdated that it's almost hilarious to see armchair experts repeatedly spouting the same boring dross over, and over, and over about it.

• Member Contributer

After 31 years, the once black OEM levers on my VF500 had "faded" from gloves rubbing them for so long.

Bought a chinesium set some 9k miles ago. No problem.

Upon fitting them I did check/inspect every angle in lieu of the horror stories...

I’m not an armchair warrior bud, just looking out for my fellow rider. I’ve seen it in many cases where these poor QC levers break on people or don’t have correct machining or design. CRG/ASV obviously create a great product with good QC.  

Variable how is the bike coming along just before the cold sets in?

87186EE7-DA41-4F49-82D5-56DF4A1922D9.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, RC36 said:

I'm sure plenty of people who've bought ASV or any other over inflated-also made-in-china-products have had issues of some variety. The whole "don't buy anything from China" argument is so long in the tooth, irrelevant and outdated that it's almost hilarious to see armchair experts repeatedly spouting the same boring dross over, and over, and over about it.

As of today (10/9/2018), ASV levers are still made in the USA, so no "also made in China" happening with their product...yet. Although I would suspect that there could be knock-offs being made and sold by unscrupulous resellers. Personally, I do not have an anti-Chinese product stance but can say the Chinese levers I had prior to getting authentic ASV levers, did suffer from color fading (right away) and the pivot holes getting out of round after a couples of years of use. Being that they are priced so cheaply, I guess one could toss them out an buy another set and still be below retail prices of authentic ASV or Pazzo levers. I prefer to just have a good quality product from the get go, so now have all three of my bikes with ASV levers installed.

Even without an anti-Chinese point of view, I really do not like the typical Pazzo knock-offs, or even authentic Pazzo levers for that matter. I prefer the ASV style adjustment knobs (Even OEM have them) vice the preset index adjustment the former have. I like the ability to be able to fine tune the lever position versus having a predetermined position. I also like the quality of the ASV levers, even after a couple of tip overs (all three bikes) and even a low side crash on two different bikes with ASV levers, the levers never broke, they came out a bit scratched, but they never broke. Since I have no experience with the Chinese levers in similar fore mentioned incidents, I cannot comment as to how they would fare in these similar instances.

In all fairness, I actually still have my Chinese levers, I keep them in a travel bag when I go touring, just in case me or someone else in my group suffers a crash and loses a lever, so far so good with my ASVs in the past two cases. To me, the knock-offs are still good enough to use but just not my cup of tea. I even have a set of Chinese made rear sets on my 5 Gen, so again, no worries about Chinese products, as long as the quality meets my expectations.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

There have been enough horror stories (google "Chinese Levers Crash" and find out for yourself..) for me to determine that cheaping out on an item that interfaces the 200lb gorrila (me) with the brakes, is probably a stupid idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer

I did google "Chinese Levers Crash" and didn't really find much that showed horrible problems. Most of what I found were poor fitting

bushings and people not checking to make sure their brakes were working as they should be. Considering how little force it takes to

lock up front brakes, I can't see applying the requisite force necessary to actually break the levers. I'm very happy with the ones I have

and would buy them again.

I'm sure the Pazzo and ASV's are very good.

• Like 1