• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

People are dumb and remove them for some reason I’ll never understand. 

It’s not the worst OEM Tool Kit I’ve ever had:

330C53FF-4DC7-4D76-B66F-9AB950584AC5.jpeg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Something is missing................The extension handle for the C spanners, coupled with the chain adjuster it makes for a maintenance strut for raising the fuel tank, apart from being essential for normal use of the C spanners.:wheel:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I've been lucky. All five have come with complete kits. At least is gives me a little warm and fuzzy feeling. I do keep my chain lubed and adjusted when I'm on the road.

Honda quality is such that I rarely need to use it. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Grum said:

Something is missing................The extension handle for the C spanners, coupled with the chain adjuster it makes for a maintenance strut for raising the fuel tank, apart from being essential for normal use of the C spanners.:wheel:

Lol, which one is the chain adjuster?

And can anyone post a picture of this missing tool?  I'll have to try and find one on eBay. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Lol, which one is the chain adjuster?

And can anyone post a picture of this missing tool?  I'll have to try and find one on eBay. 

Here ya go Variable. The chain adjuster and the slip on extension handle. The other C spanner is for the Rear Shocker pre load adjustment - you won't be needing that one seeing you have the remote adjuster.

Cheers. :beer:

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, VARIABLE9 said:

@Grum thank you!

On the fiche it’s a separate part to the tool kit itself. Looks like I’ll have to find one. 

That's very strange, same with Partzilla it's itemised separately from the kit P/No. 89256-MT4-000 $12.03. Should be a definite part of the kit! Operating your C spanners without the handle is not an option when your out on the road!!!! Yet my 4ea VFR's came with the OEM kit and having the handle!

Cheers.

Ok some parts are trickling in. These things are one of the best bang for your buck comfort additions IMO. 

Grip Puppies, $10
Easy install. Alleviates cramping and fatigue. Squishy foam reminiscent of a set of 'Grab Ons' without having to remove your OEM grips. 

IMG_4109.thumb.JPG.1acfdbb6d70e8a14e3862894e7772fa4.JPG
IMG_4119.thumb.JPG.a444d2e01c1a431f18c514ad5db42d2b.JPG

Congrats on the very nice find, when those puppies wear out try these
67e38b282871525aec7f13a1d2ad7d4c.jpg
Been using these for almost 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 8/4/2018 at 2:30 PM, MaxSwell said:

Mine goes in the plastic envelope with the rest of the stuff.

I’m sure it will fit in there from the looks of it. My question is really “where was this item stored on the VFR when it’s delivered from Honda”. Seems odd it’s not part of the actual OEM tool kit part number, so I was thinking it had a separate location on the bike.  Ordered one from eBay for $14 and will see soon enough. 

• Member Contributer
On 8/4/2018 at 7:44 PM, duccmann said:

Congrats on the very nice find, when those puppies wear out try these
67e38b282871525aec7f13a1d2ad7d4c.jpg
Been using these for almost 8 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  Appreciate the tip. Good to know there’s options. The GP’s are still doing well and help with the comfort. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Not much going on with the VFR due to the oppressive heat and the fact that I’m still waiting on connector pins from Japan to finish my accessories power relay harness.  Might get a ride in this weekend, fingers crossed on the weather being ‘reasonable’. That said, here’s a recommendation for a good cover if anyone needs one for their ride.  About $75 via AMZN. 

Dowco Guardian by 50003-03 WeatherAll Waterproof Indoor/Outdoor Motorcycle Cover: Grey, Large

DD60F24C-8C64-494E-BE40-D9C9D9BFD0BB.jpeg

3B0A0444-4E25-4DED-A62E-91F6ED82BBE7.jpeg

13 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Not much going on with the VFR due to the oppressive heat and the fact that I’m still waiting on connector pins from Japan to finish my accessories power relay harness.  Might get a ride in this weekend, fingers crossed on the weather being ‘reasonable’. That said, here’s a recommendation for a good cover if anyone needs one for their ride.  About $75 via AMZN. 

Dowco Guardian by 50003-03 WeatherAll Waterproof Indoor/Outdoor Motorcycle Cover: Grey, Large

DD60F24C-8C64-494E-BE40-D9C9D9BFD0BB.jpeg

3B0A0444-4E25-4DED-A62E-91F6ED82BBE7.jpeg

I use the same one actually. Fits with the bags on very impressed. 

• Member Contributer

Well in the absence of anything to do to the VFR (still waiting for connector pins from Japan), I cleaned this off and took photographs of it to sell. Also rode it around the block, wow what a seating position compared to the VFR!  Now I remember why I’m moving on from it....

CA339D0D-305B-4BAC-8A63-5162A2508DA9.jpeg

• Member Contributer
On 8/4/2018 at 7:02 AM, VARIABLE9 said:

Where is the wheel nut wrench?

Read your thread end to end, nice ride btw. I need to get a cover!

I've just done a wiring relay/distro mod on my own gen5. Switched the relay using the tail light wiring, main power is direct from battery with 10 amp fuse in line. System runs voltmeter, phone holder, usb outlet and lithium multi function jump starter.

Current project... cruise control mod... (not so easy adapting and wiring 2nd hand car unit)!

Enjoy

Z

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Zarquon said:

6gen tool kit never came with a wheel nut wrench. Don't think my 8gen has one as well.

• Member Contributer
On 8/16/2018 at 5:35 AM, Zarquon said:

Read your thread end to end, nice ride btw. I need to get a cover!

I've just done a wiring relay/distro mod on my own gen5. Switched the relay using the tail light wiring, main power is direct from battery with 10 amp fuse in line. System runs voltmeter, phone holder, usb outlet and lithium multi function jump starter.

Current project... cruise control mod... (not so easy adapting and wiring 2nd hand car unit)!

Enjoy

Z

Funny you inquire about the wheel lug nut wrench, I wondered the same thing. I carry some additional tools on distance rides, I added a deep 19mm socket JIC. More local riding I doubt I’d benefit from having it versus fixing a flat or getting a flatbed. 

I just finished up the wiring project yesterday. Going to update some pictures here later today. 

‘Real’ cruise control, now that’s a beneficial mod!  Good luck with that!

Thanks for reading!

17 hours ago, Grum said:

6gen tool kit never came with a wheel nut wrench. Don't think my 8gen has one as well.

Thanks for the info Grum!

• Member Contributer

Ok so this is what I installed for running switched and unswitched power for accessories. Finally finished this up yesterday, after having to wait on some electrical connectors to make it plug and play (no cut into OEM harness) to make it from Japan to the USA. 

3 Circuit Solution (3CS-S) Sealed

I have the one fuse unswitched version. Two fuses switched for voltmeter and a dual USB outlet for my GPS and phone. And the fuse that’s unswitched is for a trickle charger. I also am using the Powerlink adaptor version so if I ever need to give/get a jump start I can disconnect all my accessories at the plug and plug in a set of purpose built jumper cables. 

It it all fits in the undertray below the subframe rail on the left cubby that I think is intended for a disc lock. I ran the wires below the subframe to keep them from rubbing/contacting the seat pan. I used an adhesive cable tidy clip to mount the unit to the undertray, and removable zip ties to secure the power leads to the subframe near the battery, and regular zip ties to tidy up the cable lengths. 

Ill show how how I made it plug and play in a following post. 

ECEF8376-23BF-4FEE-BECB-49B61F88CA04.jpeg

AF7B3DC3-FB71-4FC3-B4E3-8E560EF3F766.jpeg

E74150CB-CAE7-498F-BE7D-1FB27CEF5148.jpeg

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Funny you inquire about the wheel lug nut wrench, I wondered the same thing. I carry some additional tools on distance rides, I added a deep 19mm socket JIC. More local riding I doubt I’d benefit from having it versus fixing a flat or getting a flatbed. 

I just finished up the wiring project yesterday. Going to update some pictures here later today. 

‘Real’ cruise control, now that’s a beneficial mod!  Good luck with that!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the info Grum!

The CC installation self tests fine and works after a fashion on the stand but it needs to be loaded up... a road test... and I'm just a tad nervous about this part.

The unit cost me $7.51AU at auction on ebay plus another $50 in plugs, wire, heat shrink and tape.Then about 20hrs to reverse engineer the wiring to fit the VFR and build a little hardware for monting it.

Man your bike looks super shiny under the seat.

20180818_114622.jpg