• Member Contributer

Or, My New 2007 VFR800A!

Of course I wanted a 25th R/W/B but this red (what color is it called?) was so clean with low miles I didn’t want to pass it up. All the 25th’s were thousands of miles away, however my new ride was less than a hundred miles to go pick up. Purchased from Omni Powersports in Palm, PA, nice people and easy to transact with. 

The title showed first titled in 2009, first owner logged about 400mi, then 2011 second owner 3000mi, then 2016 the last owner just about 1100mi. Now mine with 4500mi, all stock except a fender eliminator (Competition Werkes?) and new tires (Battlax BT023R). In just a few days I’ve put a few hundred miles on and basically left wondering Why didn’t I get one of these before!?  

I may be new to VFR’s, but not new to motorcycling and not new to sport riding, roadracing, mx, woods riding, et cetera. My last MC was (still have it, hey now it’s for sale!) a 2006 Suzuki SV650 cafe/street fighter/backroad twisty tool that I loved building and tweaking on but somehow lost interest in because it couldn’t do the long miles and left me sore from the clip ons and seating position.  So here’s to a new start and a new forum, and maybe some touring, and definitely some tweaking.  

On to the pictures!  A new Shoei RF1200 has replaced my old Suomy Spec1R in the pictures, and some new relaxed riding gear is on order to replace my two piece AStars leathers.  I won’t bore you with the suspension set up (that was first), but I already have some things on order and plan to update here as I go.  RAM mount, power supply, cruise control, are first things first.

45B8DE64-46DA-4A03-B26F-DFDA23B57416.jpeg

00F2E24F-B0AF-4164-B4BC-FFA588A352AB.jpeg

B204A166-52CE-4180-95B7-28624B063134.jpeg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Candy will beg you to ride her often. Be prepared..... :tongue:

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Hmmm - an '07 in Candy Red with ABS and 4,500 miles . . . I don't want to know what you paid for it - I'll start crying! 

• Member Contributer
On 6/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, Dutchy said:

Wishing you many happy miles with the redhead!! :wheel:

On 6/14/2018 at 2:01 AM, Grum said:

That's a nice looking ride. Think the color is Candy Red.

Enjoy.

Cheers. :beer:

On 6/14/2018 at 2:07 AM, Dutchy said:

Candy will beg you to ride her often. Be prepared..... :tongue:

Thanks all!  A quick Bing of R101 says Candy Glory Red. It’s a beautiful color. Just some for scuffs on the seat cowl from the PO’s. Riding thus far has been ‘glorious’ indeed...

95B84F0F-DD6E-4DBF-AEEF-EDAC99BF46F1.jpeg

• Member Contributer
On 6/14/2018 at 9:41 PM, Cogswell said:

Hmmm - an '07 in Candy Red with ABS and 4,500 miles . . . I don't want to know what you paid for it - I'll start crying! 

This much:

F4BA1673-8452-4C8A-957B-D1408EF0A928.jpeg

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

Here’s a quick tip for those wondering What tool to use to adjust front preload aka I need a huge screwdriver to turn these aka I don’t want to mar these adjusters up like an idiot..

C8FA512E-BF6F-4E10-8932-24711EAE96C4.jpeg

B8943A9E-63D9-4588-BC04-597256B98228.jpeg

27C76541-09D2-4460-BA08-71A26E8E1FA2.jpeg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

So does a Kennedy 1/2  dollar (apologies in advance to those outside the US).  It's a perfect fit - great if you might want to change settings out on the road. 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Grum said:

Large screwdriver works fine. Just add a layer of masking tape over the tip.

15 hours ago, Cogswell said:

So does a Kennedy 1/2  dollar (apologies in advance to those outside the US).  It's a perfect fit - great if you might want to change settings out on the road. 

But then you wouldn't have a neato little prybar to add to your tool collection!

And Cogs it's not just those outside the USA that wouldn't know a Kennedy half dollar. I doubt many millennials have ever seen one. 

• Member Contributer

Ok some parts are trickling in. These things are one of the best bang for your buck comfort additions IMO. 

Grip Puppies, $10

Easy install. Alleviates cramping and fatigue. Squishy foam reminiscent of a set of 'Grab Ons' without having to remove your OEM grips. 

IMG_4109.JPG

IMG_4119.JPG

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

I have a problem with those. Your bike your choice though. 

LMK your issues, and if you found an alternative.  I'm open to Pro's and Con's talk.  I had never used them before, but was looking for an option to alleviate my hand fatigue/numbing on the superslab.  My last ride I actually had some retro gel grips (like from a 60's cafe racer) that had a large OD.  I used the GripPuppies here on the VFR though because I simply didn't want to remove the OEM grips just yet, but I am open to it.

• Member Contributer
On 6/19/2018 at 12:29 PM, Urbanengineer said:

They just don’t have good grip and throttle /bars are the main control of the Moto. Some guys like Fury grips, others use a cramp buster, et. al.

I hear ya.  For the money it was a quick fix, and I didn’t see any “I wrecked because of GripPuppies” reports anywhere. I have a CrampBuster somewhere and it never really helped me. I think it’s the combination of the rpm buzz/vibration and the grip OD. I’ll go numb fast. The larger OD on my retro grips*helped, and these feel about the same without changing out the OEM. 

*Lowbrow Customs Classic in 7/8”

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Installed a MICTUNING DUAL USB purchased from AMZN. It connects via SAE which will do for now, will be reconnected via fused 3CS Sealed which is pending delivery from Eastern Beaver. Need this to power a GPS and charge mobile for an upcoming trip + future use. 

39787B6E-C384-4D6D-AAAE-A42ED783C191.jpeg

DE7780D1-BF68-4D0E-AB2A-636347832860.jpeg

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

what GPS unit do you prefer? I normally use my phone, but it murders my battery.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 50LM. I can't stand the Maps feature on my phone. Plus I already own a GPS so I use it to get my ROI. 

The MICTUNING DUAL USB could power your phone and alleviate battery drain. Not sure if you already have a power source. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Installed a MICTUNING DUAL USB purchased from AMZN. It connects via SAE which will do for now, will be reconnected via fused 3CS Sealed which is pending delivery from Eastern Beaver. Need this to power a GPS and charge mobile for an upcoming trip + future use. 

39787B6E-C384-4D6D-AAAE-A42ED783C191.jpeg

DE7780D1-BF68-4D0E-AB2A-636347832860.jpeg

I bought one of these a few years ago and it's still in a drawer, because I couldn't find a good way to mount it (also physically bigger than I expected).  I never thought about doing it this way... sometimes simple is best!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, headshrink said:

I bought one of these a few years ago and it's still in a drawer, because I couldn't find a good way to mount it (also physically bigger than I expected).  I never thought about doing it this way... sometimes simple is best!

Yeah for under $10 I liked that I could easily mount without drilling or cutting. It clears the cluster and had plenty of cable so no problems full lock right. Give it a shot. 

• Member Contributer

Wired up a TrailTech TTO-V voltmeter. Hitting 13.1 or so at idle, 14.7 to 14.8 under load. $45 via AMZN. This too is temporarily wired in through a SAE pending my 3CS from EasternBeaver. For now I can disconnect it to avoid parasitic draw when not using the VFR, when I finalize the wiring it will be on switched power. 

3FA662E7-EAC2-46B4-8ECE-4FDE0C2A6F26.jpeg

6766C2D3-7FA1-4DBC-9294-888DF98FBE49.jpeg

954AD307-C065-4C01-AADD-907C070A060B.jpeg

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

I recently installed a voltmeter too but have no idea how to read it really.

13 at idle, 13.8-14.6 at running speed. What numbers are we looking for to Be bad?

Others more qualified than I should answer this, but my understanding is good to monitor for the extremes like voltage spikes above 15v and dips down in the 12v’s. Those conditions may preclude a problem. The numbers in the range you listed are indicative of a more normal operating condition.  The TTO I installed has a setting for the backlight to flash if the voltage drops or spikes out of a range that the user sets, but of course I haven’t done this yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Installed Telferizer, RAM Mount, Garmin Nuvi. 

Didn’t care for the chrome/silver on the Telferizer so painted those parts (shaft and washer) of the mount flat black. 

May use a longer RAM double socket arm in the future, for now this length seems ok. Just about level with top of my current tank bag. 

8F1516F6-1FA6-4C3D-BBE9-63E5C56CCCCA.jpeg

92AE75AA-826B-4DC6-93BB-0BA546D1BE1B.jpeg

9DEEED3E-631F-4A0E-BF0F-676E80848138.jpeg

D5D0C53A-1E5A-46D0-9A46-AAD2FB0A0D0A.jpeg