• Member Contributer

Here is the plug and play adapter I made for switched power.  Two lengths of wire for pos and neg, two mating connectors for the license plate light connector (the orange bits), the corresponding pins, a solder seal connector, and shrink tube (the kind with the adhesive inside); the third wire lead that runs to the relay harness is part if the Eastern Beaver harness itself and has a bullet connector built in to disconnect if needed. 

I did did not want to solder the third wire in and also wanted to avoid a three way crimp, so I removed some sheathing from the switched power line and wrapped the EB lead through and around it then used a solder seal type connector over the splice. Now it’s spliced in without cutting.  Then three layers of the shrink tube both secure and protect the connection. 

The wire connector pins require ridiculously small crimps, so I used a Hozan P-706 to aid in assembly.  The shrink tube and solder seal connector I had on hand from previous vehicle projects and probably purchased from AMZN.  The connectors for the license plate light I found at Cycle Terminal however EB does also seem to have them I found out later. 

Thanks to EB and Cycle Terminal for great service and products. 

http://www.easternbeaver.com/

http://www.cycleterminal.com/index.html

B30C4B44-F375-446C-B374-80F152F89D34.jpeg

8AF03461-1D1F-4C17-830E-9D7066313FAB.jpeg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Zarquon said:

The CC installation self tests fine and works after a fashion on the stand but it needs to be loaded up... a road test... and I'm just a tad nervous about this part.

The unit cost me $7.51AU at auction on ebay plus another $50 in plugs, wire, heat shrink and tape.Then about 20hrs to reverse engineer the wiring to fit the VFR and build a little hardware for monting it.

Man your bike looks super shiny under the seat.

20180818_114622.jpg

Thats awesome!  Man you’re way more motivated than I am. You should do a write up and detail it out. 

Whats that on your muffler/peg bracket?  A horn?

Clean under the seat - yep when I bought it I noticed that. Inside the fairing lowers they look new. I don’t think the PO’s rode in inclimate weather. That’s good for me because I like clean, and it reassures me the bike hasn’t had too much weather on it to stress out Honda’s electrics. 

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Thats awesome!  Man you’re way more motivated than I am. You should do a write up and detail it out. 

Whats that on your muffler/peg bracket?  A horn?

Clean under the seat - yep when I bought it I noticed that. Inside the fairing lowers they look new. I don’t think the PO’s rode in inclimate weather. That’s good for me because I like clean, and it reassures me the bike hasn’t had too much weather on it to stress out Honda’s electrics. 

That, on the pillion peg, is the vacuum actuator that controls the thottle. Its off a car and too bulky to fit behind the front headers where alot of people put them. If the road trials go OK I'll hunt up something less bulky and hide it a little better. It's ok for now.

With regard the electrics, I think the best bet is to add a little conductive grease to  the plug connector pins each time you separate a plug and socket and take good care of your negative junctions and earth points. Also, try not to over do it with the pressure wash or put your baby to bed wet!

Z

On 8/18/2018 at 10:31 PM, Zarquon said:

That, on the pillion peg, is the vacuum actuator that controls the thottle. Its off a car and too bulky to fit behind the front headers where alot of people put them. If the road trials go OK I'll hunt up something less bulky and hide it a little better. It's ok for now. 

What is this witchcraft? What is the purpose of that mod? What was wrong with OEM?  Am I correct in understanding that vacuum doesn't CONTROL our throttle, but is a byproduct of twisting the throttle as the butterfly valves open, sucking in more air, venturi effect, etc.???

• Member Contributer
On 8/19/2018 at 1:31 AM, Zarquon said:

With regard the electrics, I think the best bet is to add a little conductive grease to  the plug connector pins each time you separate a plug and socket and take good care of your negative junctions and earth points. Also, try not to over do it with the pressure wash or put your baby to bed wet!

Z

I thought it was some crazy MadMax horn arrangement!  Got it now. 

As as for the electrics, what most people don’t understand is that most settings on pressure washers are for taking graffiti off concrete and removing paint from battleships. Not cleaning vehicles. 

17 minutes ago, headshrink said:

What is this witchcraft? What is the purpose of that mod? What was wrong with OEM?  Am I correct in understanding that vacuum doesn't CONTROL our throttle, but is a byproduct of twisting the throttle as the butterfly valves open, sucking in more air, venturi effect, etc.???

Check out above, it’s for his adapted auto unit cruise control. 

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, VARIABLE9 said:

@Grum can you advise where is this part stored on the bike?  Is it usually in the tool kit?  Or is there a dedicated location to 'clip' it in elsewhere?  

There's a dedicated little spot that it goes in under the seat, I believe on the left side.  Held in by something akin to very large o-ring rubber band typ thing.  Check your bike. . . .might still be there!!

• Member Contributer
28 minutes ago, N8sVFR said:

There's a dedicated little spot that it goes in under the seat, I believe on the left side.  Held in by something akin to very large o-ring rubber band typ thing.  Check your bike. . . .might still be there!!

Every used bike I've bought has had that rubber band broken, or is soon to brake; old rubber is probably the reason. Pretty much requires removing the rear cowl to find it and pull it out. And that can result in having to remove the luggage racks to to so. Such a PITA.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, N8sVFR said:

Thanks for the tip but that wasn’t really the question. My VFR had no tool kit, confirmed. I was aware of the underseat storage location, and it’s vacant of tools and owners manual. I already purchased an OEM tool kit via eBay to rectify this, however that did not come with the spanner handle. So my question was Is the spanner handle stored somewhere else on the VFR that is not underseat. And the consensus response was No, it’s usually found in the OEM tool kit bag with all the other tools. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Thanks for the tip but that wasn’t really the question. My VFR had no tool kit, confirmed. I was aware of the underseat storage location, and it’s vacant of tools and owners manual. I already purchased an OEM tool kit via eBay to rectify this, however that did not come with the spanner handle. So my question was Is the spanner handle stored somewhere else on the VFR that is not underseat. And the consensus response was No, it’s usually found in the OEM tool kit bag with all the other tools. 

Hi Variable. 

Just for info and to use your photo. I used to store the handle where the yellow arrow is pointing, just wrapped it in some cloth and it sat there nicely. As the toolbag was just overloaded with stuff, having the handle separated helped.

Cheers:beer:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

That’s right in line with my Q&A, thanks everyone ( @Grum j. I didn’t want to purchase another if Honda hid it somewhere ‘special’. And especially now that I have it, stuffing the tool kit into the well between the subframe rails and undertray seems a ‘tight fit’ to put it mildly. 

13 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

That’s right in line with my Q&A, thanks everyone ( @Grum j. I didn’t want to purchase another if Honda hid it somewhere ‘special’. And especially now that I have it, stuffing the tool kit into the well between the subframe rails and undertray seems a ‘tight fit’ to put it mildly. 

No, Variable. I understood your question, and was trying to tell you the specific location where the spanner handle is stored. I’ll have to take a pic of my 6th gen tomorrow and post it. There IS a specific location where the handle is stored, and it’s not in or with the rest of the tool kit.....

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, N8sVFR said:

No, Variable. I understood your question, and was trying to tell you the specific location where the spanner handle is stored. I’ll have to take a pic of my 6th gen tomorrow and post it. There IS a specific location where the handle is stored, and it’s not in or with the rest of the tool kit.....

Ok thanks for clarifying. My understanding is that there is a band for the tool kit, and a band for a disc lock. There’s also the spot for the Owners Manual. I’ve not been able to find any answer otherwise, and I had no Handle squirreled away anywhere else under seat. 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Ok thanks for clarifying. My understanding is that there is a band for the tool kit, and a band for a disc lock. There’s also the spot for the Owners Manual. I’ve not been able to find any answer otherwise, and I had no Handle squirreled away anywhere else under seat. 

Hey Variable.

Does this help, check out the location of Item 2. Straight from the 6gen owners booklet. As mentioned I just found it easier to place it where I showed you with the Yellow arrow, your choice.

Cheers :beer:

Toolkit001.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Grum said:

Hey Variable.

Does this help, check out the location of Item 2. Straight from the 6gen owners booklet. As mentioned I just found it easier to place it where I showed you with the Yellow arrow, your choice.

Toolkit001.jpg

Nice find!  Thank you!  It made no sense to me that a) it’s not included in the OEM Tool Kit, and that b) since it wasn’t IN the Kit that Honda didn’t have a special place for it somewhere. I did look underseat, however not out in the periphery like where it seems to be in the drawing above. In all the searches for ‘tool kit’ and 6th Gen VFR Owners Manual et cetera via The Internet I wasn’t ever able to find an image that showed that location (Hondaaa!).  TIL

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:18 AM, Grum said:

Hey Variable.

Toolkit001.jpg

BINGO -- that's the spot.  It's actually more under the side panel, as you can see from the image, but obviously you have to remove the seat to get to it.  Not sure if yours will be there or not, but that's where it belongs!!  :)

• Member Contributer

Another slow day, trying to determine what’s next. StompGrips?  Front springs?  Speedo correction device?  

I posted elsewhere about my new Shoei RF1200, a Flagger TC-1,  so thought I’d add it here too. Purchased new as an open box ‘warehouse deal’ from AMZN, paid about $200 less than anywhere else and there was just one little scuff on it near the top right vent.  I could live with that for the $$ savings.  The fit, finish, venting, optical clarity, and overall comfort is superb. I added a dark smoke visor because sunglasses restrict FOV, and so unless you need glasses for vision correction I would recommend against glasses in a helmet.  The latch system for changing the shield is ridiculously simple to use.  The Pinlock is a nice feature, albeit a PITA to install, luckily you really just have to do it once for each shield. 

I wear it it with a Buff covering my hair, I find it helps control sweat and odor in the helmet liner. And I use a set of Shure in ear monitors on the super slab, although I usually take them out and use regular ear plugs on the backroads. 

C78575A6-01AF-4DAF-B590-587C7E1755A3.jpeg

2EC005F3-E285-4A55-9A0D-95136C9552BA.jpeg

• Member Contributer
On 8/27/2018 at 3:31 PM, N8sVFR said:

BINGO -- that's the spot.  It's actually more under the side panel, as you can see from the image, but obviously you have to remove the seat to get to it.  Not sure if yours will be there or not, but that's where it belongs!!  🙂

Ironic that I knew about that spot and used the ‘clips’ molded into the undertray to route my relay harness wiring.  Never thought it was for the handle. Because it makes no sense to me to be stored separate from the tool kit.  Honda logic. 

• Member Contributer

Did this today. Because, well, I could. 

ProBolt, purchased via eBay from ‘Brooks Barn’ (UK). 

Note - per ProBolt use 30% less torque on this when tightening. 

D79EC288-B797-4F58-9BD2-DF06631433A2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I’m in the process of stripping all the aftermarket parts off my 2nd Gen SV650 so I can sell it now that I purchased the VFR, and when it came to these QR fuel tank pins I thought they’d work so I tried ‘em. 

I love the tech of MotoGP, and WSB, and World Endurance. I raced a bit in AMA and WERA in the 90’s and like to incorporate race machine touches into my builds whenever possible.  Little things like this let me tinker and  think about the glory days when I’m riding now. 

The Sato pieces are just the gold bits and the cotter pins. (On the SV build) I added the wire retention lanyards and the tubing sheaths.  The tubing lost its original bluish color and clouded up a bit, so I’ll replace that with some Tygon 2075 soon to freshen them up. The picture of the packaging shows the Honda parts the Sato pieces replace. 

CF8F5AC9-658B-41D6-A069-2481F259E2B2.jpeg

7588C68D-E101-4D4E-BD7A-35799837BADF.jpeg

F5AB8DC3-A76A-43D2-A610-742D94F57940.jpeg

• Like 1