• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

I need one of those in my life. I could just never justify the price of $300+. Looks well installed!

You can get a used Nuvi 50 on AMZN for $55, or new for $107. Treat yoself!

TMK you can’t create routes on a Nuvi 50.  But maybe you can, check with Garmin for full features. I don’t have a use for routes - just point A to B, International and Domestic travel, and the occasional ‘find a ChickFilA’ - and so this has worked out really well for the money. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 7/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, MaxSwell said:

Welcome to the asylum. A beautiful machine.

Thanks!!

Leaving soon for a three day 500 mile motel ‘camp out’ in the Catskills. Looking forward to clocking some miles. 

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

VFR has worked well first half of trip. My RAM Double Socket is not long enough with a loaded tankbag. I reckoned this would be the case, but AMZN couldn't get the longer one to me before I left this morning. No worries though...

IMG_4516.JPG

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Nice trip. Weather held out, albeit hot. I doubt the motel liked me using their blanket to protect from the dew, but since the 'amenities' were so lacking for the money I spent on two nights lodging IDGAF. Pool was refurbished last year though, so that and the walking trails were nice. 

Only just received all the connectors and odds and ends I needed to wire in my Eastern Beaver 3CS so it wasn't installed for the trip. That meant either / or the USB socket or the voltmeter could be powered, but not both since I had only quickly set up each waiting to do a big wiring job all at once. It worked out. USB powered the GPS getting there, then swapped the voltmeter to power instead for short local rides to town and backroads. Will install the 3CS later this week...

GPTempDownload.jpg

GPTempDownload.jpg

IMG_4530.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

This is what I’ve been working on. A ‘jumper’ to tap into for switched power. This is so I do not have to cut into any factory Honda wiring for the switched power, and it’s at the rear of the VFR so I can readily wire in my relay harness. It seems the VFR wiring is delicate as it is, I did not want to introduce a failure point with cutting and tapping in to a factory wire. 

The connector pins are a bit sloppily crimped and pushed in, and it’s too large a gauge wire.  This was just a test to see if it would work in theory and so far it does. I’ve already remade a second one with way better crimps and lighter gauge wire however I’m still not happy with it.  Working on third version of this today so hope to finalize by tonight.  Then I’ll wire in the relay harness and connect the voltmeter (switched), dual USB port (switched), and my SAE charger pigtail (unswitched).  

12426C35-1683-4E88-924C-7FAF4A1F5A10.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
11 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

Neat idea. Hope it works well for you. 

Thanks!  So do I, Ive been fiddling around with this stuff for a month. The weather is cooler today and I may just be able to work on the VFR outside instead of on the dining room table. (!)

EA47E54B-EC42-4087-9548-40E7A38DD1A2.jpeg

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

Bruh, ride the thing, don’t be like me and work on it when it’s beautiful out. 

No doubt!

I made it out yesterday and rode it out for some hibachi steak & shrimp...

IMG_4564.JPG

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Oh, I definitely do not have another of those connectors. That was the last one after multiple attempts to get 'perfect'. Will take about two weeks to get. Unbelievable (yet believable for me) luck. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Stray said:

Can you not melt the old solder off and reuse? 

It’s crimped. And these pins are small, once crimped about the size in diameter of a toothpick. Won’t be deconstructing to reuse. Plus I murdered it and it’s pretty mangled. Know how I did that?  I was trying to cram the female pin into the connector that takes the male pin.  More stupidity!  Off to order more pins. 

8 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Use Posi-locks? 

I could’ve. This whole project could’ve been finished wth the one PosiLock that EasternBeaver sent me with the relay harness. But I had to try and overengineer it with extra wire, connectors, and shrink wrap. 🧐

• Haha 1

• Member Contributer

I did get the leads for my EasternBeaver PowerLink installed though. Couldn’t be that hard, it’s only two bolts...

The PL battery leads are going to serve dual duty in providing main power for the relay harness (my mangled connector above is for a jumper lead to pull switched power) and if ever needed can be swapped to power a set of motorbike sized jumper cables.  Here is the product at EasternBeaver.

IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4574.JPG

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

I’ve been adding quite a few accessories. I should do a relocation kit too. 

This is what I’m adding for multiple/switched/and unswitched power leads. I have the 3CS Sealed with the PowerLink connector.  I keep referring to it as a relay harness, EB lists it under fuse boxes. 

EasternBeaver 3CS HD / 3CS Sealed

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Whilst waiting on more connector pins to finish installing accessory wiring I ordered an OEM Tool Kit from eBay. When I purchased the VFR it had neither the tools nor an Owners Manual. Best I could tell it’s the correct one ( 89010-MCW-D00 ), however the tool kit for my ‘A’  may not have had the rear shock wrench since it has the remote adjuster(?). Not sure. Looks like it has everything a typical OEM tool kit would have, useful or not. Anyways just wanted something under the seat JIC. I have a more comprehensive, yet compact for its capabilities, tool roll I pieced together myself that lives in my tank bag for longer rides. 

B9EF4478-BA1A-4F5D-B3AA-816FCAE50617.jpeg

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, Urbanengineer said:

I’ve though of buying one of those. Would be nice to have. 

My 2006 SV650 came with tools (bought new). Did the VFR's stop coming with at a certain point?