Fuel pump won't shut off and no spark.

klrtovfr

I picked up a circuit test light, and found the green ground which is B14 had ground when off but lost it when turned on. B15 showed this as well which is a wire to the ignition pulse generator. They may be directly connected. I also noticed when digging the probe in while off it would cause the bypass(purge) solenoid at the airbox to trigger. I have checked all green wire components and they all had good ground while ignition on. B1 and B2 which are green/pink and only run to the frame has good ground. I have no idea where the b14 green wire is spliced in or if the schematic shows the correct order of ground connections but it shows the rear turn signal as the next in line which is odd. The harness is too tucked in above the front cylinders to be able to safely cut the electrical tape off. I did cut the tape from the front part of the harness and noticed  was very wet but the grounds in that section we're good. I may just splice a new ground directly from ECU to the regulator grounds and call it good for now.

I also want to mention the 02-03 schematic doesn't show the ECU pinout or have the wires into it in the correct order at least in my paper prerecall manual. The 04-05 schematic does show the pinouts currectly. The only difference in the harness I can see is that the 04+ has a hazard light switch

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, klrtovfr said:

I picked up a circuit test light, and found the green ground which is B14 had ground when off but lost it when turned on. B15 showed this as well which is a wire to the ignition pulse generator. They may be directly connected. I also noticed when digging the probe in while off it would cause the bypass(purge) solenoid at the airbox to trigger. I have checked all green wire components and they all had good ground while ignition on. B1 and B2 which are green/pink and only run to the frame has good ground. I have no idea where the b14 green wire is spliced in or if the schematic shows the correct order of ground connections but it shows the rear turn signal as the next in line which is odd. The harness is too tucked in above the front cylinders to be able to safely cut the electrical tape off. I did cut the tape from the front part of the harness and noticed  was very wet but the grounds in that section we're good. I may just splice a new ground directly from ECU to the regulator grounds and call it good for now.

You could be onto something here. The service manual states that B14 must be ground at ALL times. I've also found the manual and drawing a pain in the arse as you've mentioned there is no pin out info.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, klrtovfr said:

There is no ground at b26 either or any wire there, but I think there is on the European model

O.K was looking at a training ECU drawing for 2002 ECU and showed B26 gnd so ignore that.

Here's an Important thing when checking Grounds. ALWAYS have a meter probe on the Negative Battery terminal, every ground must be referenced back to the battery Neg terminal not just the frame of your bike. I like to use a meter on lowest ohms range and fix the black probe to the battery neg whilst checking the ground wires with the other probe, you should see virtual zero ohms for a good ground, just don't stick your probe onto a active 12v wire!.

Follow up on B14 it MUST be grounded at all times.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, klrtovfr said:

I also want to mention the 02-03 schematic doesn't show the ECU pinout or have the wires into it in the correct order at least in my paper prerecall manual. The 04-05 schematic does show the pinouts currectly. The only difference in the harness I can see is that the 04+ has a hazard light switch

Klrtovfr - This is starting to drive me crazy only for the fact I'm discovering a few variations on the ECU pin outs. The Service Manual I have was for my 2004 Australian model and clearly states B14 is to be ground. B14 on some of the other versions is NOT ground but the Throttle Position Sensor.

Can you scan or give me a link to your bike schematic. We most definetly need to be working from the same and correct drawing for the ECU.

Here's my drawing B1, B2 and B14 are Grounds, B12 is the main 12v supply and B18 is the Fuel Pump Relay ground output. Does this match up to your ECU.?

Honda_VFR_Circuit.jpg

Yes those are correct with my USA wiring. I don't think there is any difference between 02-05 pre or post recall at the ECU pinout either especially since it's the same part# for the ECU between those years. And the added hazard switch of 04-05 does not run through the ECU. The European models have HISS so that's why those have different pinouts. I have no idea about 06+.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, klrtovfr said:

Yes those are correct with my USA wiring. I don't think there is any difference between 02-05 pre or post recall at the ECU pinout either especially since it's the same part# for the ECU between those years. And the added hazard switch of 04-05 does not run through the ECU. The European models have HISS so that's why those have different pinouts. I have no idea about 06+.

My drawing also has the HISS system which is connected to the ECU as well, you won't have this.

So back to your problem. Are you having issues with B14 ground? Are you loosing this ground when the fault is active?

If you can't find the Green B14 wire through the wire loom, and if it is not grounding all the time as it should be, cut the green wire near the ECU join in a new wire and properly ground it at the other end.

14 hours ago, Grum said:

My drawing also has the HISS system which is connected to the ECU as well, you won't have this.

So back to your problem. Are you having issues with B14 ground? Are you loosing this ground when the fault is active?

If you can't find the Green B14 wire through the wire loom, and if it is not grounding all the time as it should be, cut the green wire near the ECU join in a new wire and properly ground it at the other end.

I ran a 14 gauge wire from there with an extra amount of heat shrink and tape to the same spot on the frame that I ran my extra regulator grounds to which also has a 10gauge wire from there to the battery. I'm showing about 0.001 ohms for resistance and no issues. I think in the recall only the front harness was replaced, but the main ECU harness was not that carries this rather long and small gauge ground. Seeing how the bike is 16-17 years old now I'd bet it just wasn't strong enough anymore.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, klrtovfr said:

I ran a 14 gauge wire from there with an extra amount of heat shrink and tape to the same spot on the frame that I ran my extra regulator grounds to which also has a 10gauge wire from there to the battery. I'm showing about 0.001 ohms for resistance and no issues.

At Last! Great news. I'm sure we can now say your bike is fixed.

So - The Bottom line to all your issues was caused by - A Faulty GROUND wire B14 on the Grey ECU Connector.

A little something to remember!

Enjoy your ride.

Cheers. :beer:

Archived