Instrument panel/headlight fuse keeps blowing.

jemery12

Hi,

I recently bought a 2003 VFR800, and after riding it a couple hundred miles, a fuse blew and I my instrument panel and headlight went dark. I got her home and replaced the fuse, started her up and all was working fine. I took a 5 minute test ride, and it blew again. Started looking on forums and found that adjusting the front brake lever is a common fix. I tried it with no luck; the fuse blew again within 5 minutes. I tried cutting the high beams off (as I always ride with them on) and it didn't blow the fuse after a 30 minute test drive. Rode for a week, and part of a Sunday drive (about 200 miles in total) and the fuse blew again without the high beams on. I was hoping I had pinpointed it to being a issue in the high beam circuit, but I'm not sure now since it blew again with the high beams off. Any tips before I tear the whole front end apart trying to find the issue? Thanks in advanced.

Update,

I've taken the side fairings, and front cowl off. I've checked every electrical connector I can see and none have any burning/corrosion. The PO had H4s in the high beams that were butchered all to hell to fit, so I've taken them out and am replacing them with the stock high beams. I also noticed the main fuse has a bit of burning, but is not blown, so I'll be replacing the master fuse socket and fuse. Maybe I'll be lucky and there will have been a loose connection I wiggled back into place. I also shot all headlight connectors for shorts and shot the 3 yellow wires that I saw in another post could be a problem and the multi-meter readings were fine. Unless someone has any suggestions for my I may just be putting her back together and hoping for the best from here.

• Member Contributer

Might be able to help you here.

I've had two situations where the number plate light wiring shorts to frame causing your problem. If the exhausts have at some stage been removed and replaced requiring the removal of the rear fender, it is very easy to incorrectly route the number plate wiring back under the seat. Vibration will eventually cut through the insulation and short the wire to frame.

Under your seat at the rear there is a small two pin plug for your number plate light. Unplug this, replace your fuse, go riding, see if you still blow the fuse.

Let's know how you get on.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:56 PM, Grum said:

Might be able to help you here.

I've had two situations where the number plate light wiring shorts to frame causing your problem. If the exhausts have at some stage been removed and replaced requiring the removal of the rear fender, it is very easy to incorrectly route the number plate wiring back under the seat. Vibration will eventually cut through the insulation and short the wire to frame.

Under your seat at the rear there is a small two pin plug for your number plate light. Unplug this, replace your fuse, go riding, see if you still blow the fuse.

Let's know how you get on.

You are the best. Exhaust was replaced by PO and the tag light positive and ground were worn through. Guess they touched and shorted when I hit a bump just right. I'll be putting her back together soon and hopefully no more problems. Thanks a ton!

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, jemery12 said:

You are the best. Exhaust was replaced by PO and the tag light positive and ground were worn through. Guess they touched and shorted when I hit a bump just right. I'll be putting her back together soon and hopefully no more problems. Thanks a ton!

That's Great news glad to hear it was the issue. A simple wire repair job and all is good. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers. :beer:

Archived