Which tires for upcoming track day?

jim v

• Member Contributer

Looking for some advice from the community

Bike is an 02 6th gen with an RC51 front end. Currently rolling on Michelin PR2 with the dual compound tech. I've done a few track days and mostly sporty riding on this set and been very pleased. Typically i'm in the back or middle of the intermediate group

Important -

quick to warm, grip, good feel

Not so important -

wet grip (if its wet, i'm not pushing, i'm just trying to get somewhere so I can dry off)

longest life (I'm willing to spend on tires)

My last few sets have all been Michelin and they given really good performance and wear, will probably stick with them. What do folks recommend - PR4s? PR5s? Something more sport focused? Any info/advice would be much appreciated

• Member Contributer

Have used Michelins in the past, decent tires.  Switched to Dunlops (have used D211, GPAs, Q3s) and am now using Q3+s.  These are good tires at a good price (especially during rebate offers).  I don't think you can go wrong with Q3+s, warm up time is good as they are street sport tires.  Have not tried the track oriented Q4s, but plan to.  I'm probably in the minority, suggesting Dunlop :biggrin:.

ACE

I stand corrected, saw kirtovfr reply after posting :laugh:.

Can't go wrong with Q3, Q3+.  Cheap price, more than enough grip to get into Advanced group.  I expect Q4s will be the same story.  

Sharing the picture just for fun from the last TD I was at.  Moved up to Power Slick EVOs and warmers last year.  So far really like them.  Lasting much longer than the Supercorsa SC2 that I had prior to these Michelins.

S96A7935.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After the suggestions here I'll be trying out a set of Dunlop Q3+ - will let you all know how it turns out

• Member Contributer

The Q4 is supposed to be a track day tire with emphasis on grip and not longevity and is a single compound, my guess it’ll probably last about the same as a Super Corsa. The Q3+ seems to be the tire of choice for many track day riders, it’s what the California Superbike School uses on their student bikes. Those bikes get ridden day in and day out all day long. Granted most of the students are not pushing themselves, especially early in their time on the bike but the bikes get shared between the the group sessions. Basically the bikes are almost on the track constantly, with only a few minutes between sessions. Don’t know how many miles they put on them before changing but they seem to hold up pretty well.

Although I haven’t been a fan of Dunlops in the past thinking of trying either the Q3+ or the Q4 for track day use. I’m currently running the Michelin Pilot RS and so far have about 10.5 days if count it right (Laguna Seca, Sonoma, Las Vegas and Streets of Willow). They are just now starting to show significant wear on the sidewalls. Center looks decent though. I have been happy with them so far but might drink the Dunlop kool-aid to do a comparison.

• Member Contributer

I run S21's and never had any grip issues with them. I had a problem with Q3's (splitting) and never went back to Dunlop -- can't comment on Q3+ or Q4.

aXXcdmd.png

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm currently running Q4's, great tire, feels identical to SuperCorsa which i just took off,  and they are $100 less expensive 

I came to the conclusion that asking california superbike school if they had openings 1-2 weeks before the class at a last minute discount was the same cost as bringing my own bike but a lot less risk, and more fun. I can neither confirm or deny but I they may be willing to reduce the price by about $150 to $200 for last minute fill ins. When I compared swapping tires, new tires, gas, oil, wear, trailer rental, hotel the night before and prep time.... 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I had forgotten about this thread, should update -

I went Q3+ and been very happy with them. Good feedback, quicker turn in. Unfortunately the track day didn't happen - sometimes life gets in the way. Heading out for a ride the other day I noticed this weird pattern on the rear. Not sure what would cause that......

IMG_20181007_120414.jpg

• Member Contributer

Q4s 👍.

fncm0818rh12.thumb.jpg.e0cbff62e3b1c391dfc15e20737db9b4.jpg

However, I am not a fan of the Q4s in the wet, but I'm not a fan of riding in the wet so ...

@Jim V, I've run Q3+s but have not seen the discoloration (pattern you refer to?) in your photo.

ACE

• Member Contributer
On 8/11/2018 at 5:55 AM, hardrivn said:

I came to the conclusion that asking california superbike school if they had openings 1-2 weeks before the class at a last minute discount was the same cost as bringing my own bike but a lot less risk, and more fun. I can neither confirm or deny but I they may be willing to reduce the price by about $150 to $200 for last minute fill ins. When I compared swapping tires, new tires, gas, oil, wear, trailer rental, hotel the night before and prep time.... 

BTW, the School does sell tires at the track and you can get a decent deal on them as well. I believe students get a discount, a set of Dunlop Q3+ was $225 OTD, well at least corner workers get them for that price. My friend bought a set some time mid-year. I believe they will even mount them for you but don't recall the fee.

19 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

BTW, the School does sell tires at the track and you can get a decent deal on them as well. I believe students get a discount, a set of Dunlop Q3+ was $225 OTD, well at least corner workers get them for that price. My friend bought a set some time mid-year. I believe they will even mount them for you but don't recall the fee.

They absolutely do, I think they will even sell half worn tires at a significantly greater discount. Being honest about my own riding ability though, I feel better tracking a modern BMW that is WAY Faster than my VFR for under $500 for the day, with all the nanny devices ABS, Traction control, better suspension, clearance etc. Add on top of the convenience and the fact that using their bikes opens up a whole world of race tracks that I couldn't easily get my own bike there anyway. I travel a lot for work so getting a free Amtrak or Airfare on points is typically not a problem. Same with rental car and hotel. So far Laguna Seca, NJMP, VIR, and Road Atlanta. On the bucket list: Circuit of the Americas, Spring Mountain motorsports park (They are getting huge!). Add in the benefit of access to the wealth of knowledge from Keith Code and his team, and it beats any regular track day that I have attended.  

Archived