Keihin carb air joint pipes

Blake

Hey guys,

got my fueling issues sorted out but I’m wondering what the two rubber hoses coming from the bottom of the carbs attached to plastic  tubes called  (in the Manual) air joint pipes.  What the blazes do they do? air venting for the float bowls???  I will post an update on what I found about my bikes fueling system and how important a proper vacuum and petcock valve seem to be, plus a correct fuel pump. 

Thanks 

51D41000-1747-46E3-8573-98B82442394F.jpeg

CAEB81B0-8CBE-4944-AB75-88A5B8316802.jpeg

• Member Contributer

They are simply the vent hoses for the carbs.  On Cali bikes those would be going to a charcoal canister (eventually).   They don't have to be long, but need to point down to keep crap out.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Captain, another question for anyone that may know. Some small amount of fuel (drops) come from these hoses after a longish ride or hot weather. I get some gas smell from what I think must be the fuel cap vent because of the fuel expansion, but also from these hoses connected to the air pipes. 

Is this normal or will I burst into flame while riding?

Captain, you mentioned charcoal canisters which I have on my 2014 800. Is there a canister that could be adapted to this bike to prevent the gas smell. I have to let the the bike cool before putting it into the garage. 

Thanks all for any help.

My 500 smells of petrol too after a long hot ride. I also wait for it to cool before putting it in the garage. I have always assumed this is normal behavior as otherwise the bike is good. Don't think I get petrol dripping from the vents though.

• Member Contributer

99% your fuel cross over tubes (which run right next to the vent cross tubes) are starting to leak.  Those o-rings are over 35 years old, and have been exposed to fuel and very warm temps.  My fleet is slowly getting all of their fuel tube and float bowl o-rings replaced.  Every one I have taken apart lately (even if it is not leaking), the fuel tube o-rings nearly crumble in my hand.  It would be a bummer when they really let go and you are not close to home.  I came out to my 86 VFR warming for a ride and had a waterfall of gas coming out of the V of the engine on my driveway.  That could have easily been 50 miles away.

Archived