Help me decide.....sell the VFR

I can get a 2006 VFR with about 2000 in addons more than my VFR plus a 2006 vs my 2005. It has a few thousand more miles though....here is the add. 

It's equipped with:
Convertibars with Vibration Killer bar ends
Two Brothers exhaust
Power Commander
HEL stainless front brake lines and clutch line
Michelin Pilot Power3 tires with less than 100 miles on them
Zero Gravity touring windscreen
Cramp Buster "cruise control"
High output headlights
Honda factory hard cases with internal bags
Wired in trickle charger
Fabric cover

Mine is mint, but stock. I want to get an exhaust and PCV and the convertibars are a plus as well as the steel brake, clutch lines. I love the bags too for trips. 

All in all this is $2500 retail more than mine for the addons. I told him I wouldn't come look at it if he didn't agree to go to 4K on the price. He jumped at that price. 

VFR's are a hard sell and don't hold their value at all. Any reason for this?

I can probably get $3500 for mine which is a loss, considering I put at least 500 into it and bought it for 3300. 

thanks

Joel

I don't want to sink 2k plus into a bike that won't go up in value. 

Nothing you add to a bike makes it go up an equal amount in value. Much like old hot rods, if you want one, find one that someone has already done because its much cheaper.  Two years ago, I was looking at suspension work on my 03 and decided to look for a bike with the things I wanted. I found an 07 with every farkle know to VFRdom and picked it up instead. I got the bike for about what all of the farkles would have sold for off the bike. As for the prices you are looking at, I can't help much because I've been out of the market for two years.  Good luck.

• Member Contributer

"I don't want to sink 2k plus into a bike that won't go up in value."

My lad you're doomed to a life of disappointment. Very, very few bikes, or cars either for that matter, are

going to increase in value. It's the nature of the beast. If they never made any new ones yours mine be

worth more, but...

New 8th gens are going about 50% off MSRP which puts a hurt on all VFR's.  VFR's are special bikes and really fit the needs of a few (or at least that is the perception), great all all-around bike and a superb sport tourer; however, the younger crowd likes a lot more hp/flash and the older crowd seems to prefer the Adventure bikes.  I'm a sport tourer fan and IMO for the money (I have ~$7500 total in my 8th gen dlx with full luggage) not a bike made that can touch it.  So if I keep it 5 yrs and give it away I'm in for $125/month and I will surely get more fun from her than that.  If I get $4000 for it then I'm in for <$60/month and I'm laughing all the way to the bank.  A motorcycle is a tool to be used and enjoyed, there are much better monetary investments, but very few better mental investments.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Zeta said:

New 8th gens are going about 50% off MSRP which puts a hurt on all VFR's.

My jaw dropped when I went window shopping last week and found a brand new left over 8th gen for $7500.

53 minutes ago, Havagan said:

My jaw dropped when I went window shopping last week and found a brand new left over 8th gen for $7500.

IMO not a better sport tourer on the planet for that money.  It can canyon carve better than my ability, is very comfortable to me (had a few 8hr days) all giving me nearly 50mpg.  I see you have a 2002 probably running as new, so in 2030 my bike should still be breathing air, hopefully I will be too.

Motorcycles are an expense, not an investment. Unless you are Jay Leno or other rich guy that can afford museum pieces.

Euro bikes are mostly even worse on holding their value. Such is life.

7 hours ago, Havagan said:

And people wonder why Honda dropped them from the lineup. Is there any profit left at that price? Or do they lose money?  :rolleyes:

Yes, I acknowledge they are great bikes, but if they don't sell.....

• Member Contributer
On 6/9/2018 at 4:24 PM, Zeta said:

New 8th gens are going about 50% off MSRP which puts a hurt on all VFR's.  VFR's are special bikes and really fit the needs of a few (or at least that is the perception), great all all-around bike and a superb sport tourer; however, the younger crowd likes a lot more hp/flash and the older crowd seems to prefer the Adventure bikes.  I'm a sport tourer fan and IMO for the money (I have ~$7500 total in my 8th gen dlx with full luggage) not a bike made that can touch it.  So if I keep it 5 yrs and give it away I'm in for $125/month and I will surely get more fun from her than that.  If I get $4000 for it then I'm in for <$60/month and I'm laughing all the way to the bank.  A motorcycle is a tool to be used and enjoyed, there are much better monetary investments, but very few better mental investments.

This. Plus what most others have said. Maybe if you bought a Honda NSR 250 gray bike and never rode it and it had a full spares kit you could be making some money on resale. 

• Member Contributer
On 6/10/2018 at 8:04 AM, Havagan said:

I'll wager that's for a Deluxe.  I saw one last year advertised for $6,500 for the standard version.  I'll bet Honda has trouble getting dealers to take them  - there's no money in it for them any longer.   I thought I got a screamin' deal on my then new '99 for $8,500 OTD.  How times change.  These prices almost make me want to stock up on a couple - put 'em away and take 'em out to ride when my 6th gen is done. 

6 hours ago, VARIABLE9 said:

Maybe if you bought a Honda NSR 250 gray bike and never rode it and it had a full spares kit you could be making some money on resale. 

You would probably have a better investment if you put your money into real estate, or stocks and bonds.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Or even under the mattress, at least the same amount would still be there after a couple years. 🙂

Money and dust bunnies. What a combo! 🙂 Makes the dust bunnies feel rich?

Cash is King, but the inflation Monster is always nibbling at his toes.

Or something. :rolleyes:

Archived