Shorter than OEM windshield

FJ12Ryder

• Member Contributer

Just wondering if anyone has modified their windscreen to be shorter.

I'm about 5'7" and I find that I get a lot of wind noise in a normal riding position. If I raise up enough to get my head into

clean air, the noise all but goes away. I just ordered a cheap-o windscreen to cut down, so the wind hits my chest rather

than my head. That would help in two ways: it would put my helmet in cleaner air, and the wind on my chest would help

support my weight too. Seems like a win-win. I know most people replace their windscreen with a taller one if they do

anything, but I don't really want to go that route. I like the wind pressure on me, and I don't particularly care for the looks

of the taller screens anyway. I do have a set of helibars installed so that puts my head a bit higher than OEM screen dictates

too.

Anyway, just curious for any input.

TIA

• Member Contributer

I have a cut down ZG double bubble on one of my bikes. It works well for me (6’). I have a ZG touring screen on the other. Both have less noise/buffeting than stock. The double bubble was really bad before I cut it down even with the bodywork. I’m a Shoei guy, and they like to be in clean airflow. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I cut down a Givi touring screen as well and at 6' 1" I've found it has made quite a good change to noise level.

• Member Contributer

You can get a roll of trim-lock for $7.95 from zero gravity which will cover up any trimming done, and i think looks great. I was tying to find existing pics in here to post showing the trim, is it just me or is loading new pics a pain in the ass? I found this old photo in here and just noticed the dog photo bombed the pic. Lol 

post-23210-0-45934500-1428519047.jpg

IMG_5106.thumb.JPG.f0f5f804ae9973febfa9ab759ac05c56.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the replies, my new windscreen should be here soon and the modifications will begin. I figured

on putting something over the edge to cover up any cut marks. Thanks for the info on that.